North Texas Adds 6 Games for Future

TheReal_jayD

4 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I don't remember any of the FCS TX schools bringing a large crowd. The only Texas School I remember bringing a big crows was Houston. 

They will bring more than most of our conference mates would/do. There will be a couple thousand people in purple. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

How will they ever elevate themselves?

Alabama doesn't have to. 

We better start taking parts of the 1970/80s FSU model into some consideration. They played whoever, whenever and started turning heads as they started winning those games as an independent. They forged a place for themselves. I recommend us needing to play the very best G5 teams we can schedule and the very best P5 home and homes we can snag. I wouldn't be heartbroke if we did a roadie P5 game here and there as well vs what is considered winnable programs. But what we're doing is sort of settling into our place in the fake pecking order and putting flyers out and being content with whoever calls back. That's not really the way to do this. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

Because schools are judged by the schools they choose to play. 

I think if you’re a fan that is going to support a team playing certain teams, then yes! It will be a deal breaker for going to some or a lot of games.

some fans have already decided they will support their team regardless.

I don’t know of anyone who decides a football program is bad because they play one bad OCC game every now and then.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Alabama doesn't have to. 

We better start taking parts of the 1970/80s FSU model into some consideration. They played whoever, whenever and started turning heads as they started winning those games as an independent. They forged a place for themselves. I recommend us needing to play the very best G5 teams we can schedule and the very best P5 home and homes we can snag. I wouldn't be heartbroke if we did a roadie P5 game here and there as well vs what is considered winnable programs. But what we're doing is sort of settling into our place in the fake pecking order and putting flyers out and being content with whoever calls back. That's not really the way to do this. 

TCU basically did this, too...

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

We play Texas Tech and Wyoming at home in 2027. Anyone complaining about an easy SEVENTH home game against a TX FCS opponent needs a serious reality check. 

Having a 7th home game is great. Playing FCS is a lose-lose. You either win like you were supposed to, or take an embarrassing loss. With the CFP expanding our mentality needs to be, "We will do everything we can to get one of those spots." That also includes scheduling the best teams we can. 

• Upvote 3

There is more to scheduling these games than just picking and choosing opponents. Schedules must match up. The thought of having the 4 toughest opponents you can get in non-conference play is idiotic. Yes, big name opponents to come to the DAT is awesome. But making a bowl is more important in my opinion than trying to build a non-conference gauntlet. 5 P5 opponents scheduled to come here in the next decade is much better than we did the first Decade of Apogee. Another P5 home game will be announced in the next few weeks. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

How will they ever elevate themselves?

They're just buying games so they won't have to travel.  And, they make so much money at home games that they still can afford a fairly large payout to an FCS and still make more than the travel would cost.  They can elevate themselves by winning most any conference game.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Having a 7th home game is great. Playing FCS is a lose-lose. You either win like you were supposed to, or take an embarrassing loss.

There's a small winning opportunity in playing/beating an FCS at home, at least if it's your home opener. That's the game that will have one of the highest student attendances, especially from freshmen/new students. Put a beatdown on the opponent, those new students and students in general who have no idea about FBS/FCS/P5/G5 will think we're world beaters and more likely to return.

I remember the naïve excitement at Apogee when we blew out Bethune Cookman the year after going 1-11. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

There is more to scheduling these games than just picking and choosing opponents. Schedules must match up. The thought of having the 4 toughest opponents you can get in non-conference play is idiotic. Yes, big name opponents to come to the DAT is awesome. But making a bowl is more important in my opinion than trying to build a non-conference gauntlet. 5 P5 opponents scheduled to come here in the next decade is much better than we did the first Decade of Apogee. Another P5 home game will be announced in the next few weeks. 

We always heard the stat. "5 bowls in 6 years under Seth Litrell." or whatever it was. So what did that do exactly? 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

jay d always with the juicy gossip. Bama is coming to the DAT right? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

There's a small winning opportunity in playing/beating an FCS at home, at least if it's your home opener. That's the game that will have one of the highest student attendances, especially from freshmen/new students. Put a beatdown on the opponent, those new students and students in general who have no idea about FBS/FCS/P5/G5 will think we're world beaters and more likely to return.

I remember the naïve excitement at Apogee when we blew out Bethune Cookman the year after going 1-11. 

I think this is the mentality I don't like. It's like trying to trick our fans/ourselves, or to just squeak by into bowl eligibility if we are on the edge. I know scheduling isn't easy and if that's the best we could get then I understand. It's just hard for me to get excited about an FCS opponent. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Green Otaku said:

We both know our football record was not what got us into the AAC. We got in in-spite of it. 

Agree to disagree. I am not saying it is the only reason. But if Seth never made a bowl in his tenure and never had a winning record I think there is a chence we would still be in CUSA. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1