How do we elevate our brand?

Jonnyeagle

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

You do realize our Football history pre-dates RV?  We have 110 years of Football history.  The point being we are not like these new programs or FCS move-ups.  We were in Major College football before there were any other splits.  We have played all SEC teams, except South Carolina.  The movie portrayed "Texas State" as a fictional school, because there was no Texas State at the time.  But they used our uniforms, head coach (Parker) and some of our players, and the storyline was actually similar to ours during certain eras.

Parker lost that game too. The only 2 wins against SEC football teams I remember was Fry beating Tennessee about 40 years ago and Littrell's victory at Arkansas. What we were in the past has nothing to do with what we are today. Look at Rice. Our average football attendance is only 20,000, and men's basketball 4,000. I used to believe that just win and they will come. Well, we won, they came, just not very many of them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, wardly said:

Parker lost that game too. The only 2 wins against SEC football teams I remember was Fry beating Tennessee about 40 years ago and Littrell's victory at Arkansas. What we were in the past has nothing to do with what we are today. Look at Rice. Our average football attendance is only 20,000, and men's basketball 4,000. I used to believe that just win and they will come. Well, we won, they came, just not very many of them.

Not a big fan of Littrell’s win over Arky.  They just were not any good and Rodo State had beat them the just week before.  It was noce but more for the punt return.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

17 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

Not a big fan of Littrell’s win over Arky.  They just were not any good and Rodo State had beat them the just week before.  It was noce but more for the punt return.

We are 4&36 against the SEC so I will take any win we can get.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

You do realize our Football history pre-dates RV?  We have 110 years of Football history.  The point being we are not like these new programs or FCS move-ups.  We were in Major College football before there were any other splits. 

10 years of decent football in over a century isn't a capital-H History.  North Texas has always meant bad football and small crowds.  -That- is the part that needs to change.  First the consistent wins, then the crowds come.

Our last conference championship was almost 20 years ago.   Tell me why current students would be passionate about football?

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

10 years of decent football in over a century isn't a capital-H History.  North Texas has always meant bad football and small crowds.  -That- is the part that needs to change.  First the consistent wins, then the crowds come.

Our last conference championship was almost 20 years ago.   Tell me why current students would be passionate about football?

Real fans know NT has played winning football for over 110 years...

.501536-534-33ALL-TIME RECORD

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, NT93 said:

Well, hard to argue facts🤣🤣🤣🤣

I respect NT80's opinion but exactly where are you going with this? My experience with UNT athletics since 1961 is that we have always had a small core of grads and students who have supported both our good and bad programs over the decades. However despite the growth of the university and 10's of millions of dollars spent on bricks and sticks we have not been able to move the needle in proportion to the growth of our Denton campus and the Metroplex in general. We need a new stadium, we finely got one. We wanted a winning program, we got one[ hey,  better than .501% ] under Littrell. We went to bowl games. Well, some of us did. Our last appearance in Frisco was poorly attended. However regardless of our bowl record [ fun fact. UNT has more bowl appearances with a loosing record than anyone in NCAA history] we only averaged 66% capacity in our new stadium. Basketball is the real pisser. Coach Mac won the conference, won the conference tournament, beat Purdue at Indianapolis in the NCAA's, got us in the NIT, won the NIT. Yet attendance remained at 40% 0f capacity. I really don't know what it takes to draw fans, but it must be something other than winning and venue. A dog food company had their annual sales meeting and the VP of Sales was berating the sales force for their lack of production. He didn't understand why their canned dog food,BIG BONER, wasn't popular. A salesman from East Texas stood up in the back and responded, " the dogs don't like it." Whatever UNT athletics is selling the customer is not buying.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, wardly said:

I respect NT80's opinion but exactly where are you going with this?

I too respect NT80’s opinion.  I just thought it was funny to highlight that we are a winning program and then show our all-time record which is two games over .500.  Winning?  Officially, yes.  Thus my statement, can’t argue facts.

Edited by NT93
  • Ray 2

People, media, and some of our own fans, always belittle us as “the program that can’t” do something in Athletics.  But we are doing things in Athletics.  

We won the NIT.  We are now in the best G5 football conference in the country…. with SMUg.  It wasn’t that long ago we were in a conference with SFA, Nichols St, NW St, et al.  

It’s Happening!!

image.gif.90bffa4c4b031c9071d6425a154a251e.gif

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Get out and watch games... get your brand in front of people's eyeballs, and you create brand awareness.  Go out to your favorite sports bar and have them put the game on, bring your friends, make it a regular thing.  

It would be nice if someone would compile a list of DFW area sports bars that are committed to showing the games. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

People, media, and some of our own fans, always belittle us as “the program that can’t” do something in Athletics.  But we are doing things in Athletics.  

We won the NIT.  We are now in the best G5 football conference in the country…. with SMUg.  It wasn’t that long ago we were in a conference with SFA, Nichols St, NW St, et al.  

It’s Happening!!

image.gif.90bffa4c4b031c9071d6425a154a251e.gif

We joined the Southland Conference FORTY YEARS AGO, not yesterday. Let it go.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

Joe Greene played for NT 60 years ago.  Should we just "let him go"?

Some fans(?) want to say we are nothing because we came from nothing.

A statement about old vs. new is not the same thing as dismissing it like it is irrelevant.  I'm not sure what Wardly was suggesting when he said "Let it go", but I don't think he meant dismissal.

We have absolutely embraced Joe Greene and no one is saying or believing he played recently.  We can acknowledge how far back our history is and still embrace is as part of who we are.  40 years ago is a long time.  I cannot stop you from arguing about 40 years being like yesterday, but you're in for an uphill battle, my Mean Green friend.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

What about 40 years ago is "not that long ago" to you?

Surely you jest. In 1957 I wore a leather helmet in 8th grade football at E.M. Daggett Jr. High in Ft. Worth. Perhaps that is what affected my memory when I recall events in" the way back machine".

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

I read two ESPN articles today - one about Eric Morris as a new young coach, and one about Auburn and the SEC West and J. Shorter - mention North Texas. The unsolicited publicity or recognition is there it seems (at least today). This defense needs to get back to being Mean. That would help. 
GMG

• Upvote 2

On 7/19/2023 at 9:14 AM, wardly said:

We wanted a winning program, we got one[ hey,  better than .501% ] under Littrell.

Come on name one big win than moved the needle under Seth not followed up by a kick in pants?  You can't that is why he had 0 bowl wins and 0 conference championships.   UNT Football is the but of jokes of fans not familiar with G5 programs. 

Your frustrations with basketball support are very justifiable.   But our region of the country isn't big on basketball.   And there is nothing super about the Superpit except its bloated size.  It is 20 years overdue for replacement or massive overhaul.  It also doesn't help that it has been an attractive venue for events not necessarily directly tied to the university. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Bosie State, years ago, laid a pretty good blueprint to make the School's branding relative and I'm not talking about the Blue Turf (though it did help). You play and Beat Mid-bloods, Win your Conference, and Play-in AND Win a Major Bowl against a Blue Blood. So no matter how you do years later, You stay somewhat relative. IMHO

• Upvote 1