Dear Players, per your request it Business, not Personal.

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I will say this again. It's unfortunate for the players who show loyalty and their family members, but, IMO, since many players see this as a "business" and seem to care very little about the school's name on their jersey or value having their education paid for and given special treatment, they should be open to all criticism when they do not perform well. After all, following their lead, we support a business and pay for their service when we buy tickets and merchandise or even invest our time. So players, don't take offense when the customers feel like they're not getting their money's worth and you are called out and jeered or worse. After all, per your insistence, it's not personal; it's only business.

100% CORRECT

Kind of hard not to say: “Perform for our school or hit the bricks” 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I will say this again. It's unfortunate for the players who show loyalty and their family members, but, IMO, since many players see this as a "business" and seem to care very little about the school's name on their jersey or value having their education paid for and given special treatment, they should be open to all criticism when they do not perform well. After all, following their lead, we support a business and pay for their service when we buy tickets and merchandise or even invest our time. So players, don't take offense when the customers feel like they're not getting their money's worth and you are called out and jeered or worse. After all, per your insistence, it's not personal; it's only business.

1 hundo. 

Coaches, too. 

I'll be first and upfront, it appears we have done a shitty job in the portal... the +/- is certainly not in our favor, not only in quantity, but quality. The staff seems to be long gaming us with their recruiting of HS kids and not portal chasing. This ain't 2002, no such thing as a 4 or 5 year plan. Best be shoring up deficiencies immediately upon arrival. We haven't. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

1 hundo. 

Coaches, too. 

I'll be first and upfront, it appears we have done a shitty job in the portal... the +/- is certainly not in our favor, not only in quantity, but quality. The staff seems to be long gaming us with their recruiting of HS kids and not portal chasing. This ain't 2002, no such thing as a 4 or 5 year plan. Best be shoring up deficiencies immediately upon arrival. We haven't. 

You have to find a mix. If anything, we are behind due to Wren not moving on from Seth during the 2021 season and allowing the new staff more time to prepare for the transition. It also seems this staff is making better decisions on the transfers as they bring in players who look like they can contribute. There are still a lot of good players available in the Portal.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

1 hundo. 

Coaches, too. 

Well yeah because we can't afford 50k a player to stay put.  Even the scrubs at SMU are making 40k.  Sat next to a guy at a game in Denton last year who came to see his HS player (he was a coach) playing for SMU and said that the player claimed every athlete at SMU was making at least 40k a year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

39 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Well yeah because we can't afford 50k a player to stay put.  Even the scrubs at SMU are making 40k.  Sat next to a guy at a game in Denton last year who came to see his HS player (he was a coach) playing for SMU and said that the player claimed every athlete at SMU was making at least 40k a year.

Not buying that. But, again, if we can't afford to consistently compete at something, put your money into something that moves the needle...-------> basketball. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, All About UNT said:

If so, why is Siggers leaving the $$ and going to UIW?

• Upvote 4

The whole premise of this thread is kind of funny to me. It acts like fans are model citizens when it comes to how they act and what they say about athletes. LOL 

But no. It’s just now fans are going to start jeering players. And they better be okay with it. LOL 

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

The whole premise of this thread is kind of funny to me. It acts like fans are model citizens when it comes to how they act and what they say about athletes. LOL 

But no. It’s just now fans are going to start jeering players. And they better be okay with it. LOL 

How would you respond to the allegations of SMU tampering with our players?

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2023 at 8:38 AM, DentonLurker said:

and in doing so said fans jeering their players are showing their "school pride"

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

On 5/1/2023 at 7:38 AM, DentonLurker said:

You know, I always kept quiet when one of our players messed up.  My father wasn't one to sit in the stands and yell at coaches, players or refs and he taught us to do the same.  Maybe it was the fact that he was a previous coach and official, but part of it was that this kids, regarding the players, chose to play for our school.  They should feel bad enough about missing an assignment, dropping a pass, fumble, etc. without us dog piling from the stands.  I have watched some "adults" act pretty stupid in the stands during my years as a fellow fan and former baseball umpire.

Times are different now.  There doesn't seem to be much loyalty anymore.  Many of the kids are just walking around with their hand out looking for the best deal.  If they don't get to play, instead of working hard and moving up the depth chart, they just leave looking for something else.  Honestly, I don't like the way things are headed because there seems to be zero control over the new system.  Plus, the NIL was put in place to allow these athletes to make money off of their name, image and likeness.  Of course, schools knowing the NCAA just threw this together to avoid a lawsuit have taken this and are just basically paying each kid a salary regardless if their name, image or likeness is ever used for anything.  This will ruin major college sports as we know it.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You know, I always kept quiet when one of our players messed up.  My father wasn't one to sit in the stands and yell at coaches, players or refs and he taught us to do the same.  Maybe it was the fact that he was a previous coach and official, but part of it was that this kids, regarding the players, chose to play for our school.  They should feel bad enough about missing an assignment, dropping a pass, fumble, etc. without us dog piling from the stands.  I have watched some "adults" act pretty stupid in the stands during my years as a fellow fan and former baseball umpire.

Times are different now.  There doesn't seem to be much loyalty anymore.  Many of the kids are just walking around with their hand out looking for the best deal.  If they don't get to play, instead of working hard and moving up the depth chart, they just leave looking for something else.  Honestly, I don't like the way things are headed because there seems to be zero control over the new system.  Plus, the NIL was put in place to allow these athletes to make money off of their name, image and likeness.  Of course, schools knowing the NCAA just threw this together to avoid a lawsuit have taken this and are just basically paying each kid a salary regardless if their name, image or likeness is ever used for anything.  This will ruin major college sports as we know it.

https://footballscoop.com/news/archie-manning-wont-let-arch-manning-take-nil-money-until-he-starts-steve-sarkisian-says

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Many of the kids are just walking around with their hand out looking for the best deal.  If they don't get to play, instead of working hard and moving up the depth chart, they just leave looking for something else.  

these two sentences actually largely contradict each other. the kids getting paid are the ones who have worked hard and moved up depth charts. no one bats an eye when a third string deep snapper enters the portal.

in general, I think the portal is flawed, but considering college football is now a $1B+ industry, coaches and ADs make millions to say that a watered-down college degree (in a world where a bachelors has been devalued considerably) is compensation enough for 4 years of risking health for the entertainment of others is pretty silly. it's a world that doesn't exist anymore. 

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

multi-millionaire family that will never want for anything in life takes moral high ground. neat. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

these two sentences actually largely contradict each other. the kids getting paid are the ones who have worked hard and moved up depth charts. no one bats an eye when a third string deep snapper enters the portal.

in general, I think the portal is flawed, but considering college football is now a $1B+ industry, coaches and ADs make millions to say that a watered-down college degree (in a world where a bachelors has been devalued considerably) is compensation enough for 4 years of risking health for the entertainment of others is pretty silly. it's a world that doesn't exist anymore. 

I agree with you @Censored by Laurie.  It was never fair for the coaches to make millions of dollars and the actual guys who put their health on the line get a degree and some free food and books.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Censored by Laurie said:

multi-millionaire family that will never want for anything in life takes moral high ground. neat. 

So take a swipe at them? I guess Deion and LeBron barely make it since their kids are making NIL money in NIL, along with numerous other players whose families have done well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

You don't think these high school kids are considering how much they will get paid when picking their school?

True, college football has become a $1B industry, but sadly the "P5" schools are the ones reaping the revenue and blocking other schools from really advancing up the food chain.  The only reason schools like Cincy, BYU, Houston and UCF were invited to the Big XII is so that the conference would lose their status after the SEC made a power grab.  It was either backfill or watch the Big XII become another G5 conference.  The remaining Big XII schools were willing to do anything to protect their position as a P5 conference.

Edited by UNTLifer

I don't think the NIL money means we should feel more license to rip players. Most players paid NIL money are getting less per year than if they were a shift manager at Arby's.

College football is still a sport full of athletes who love the game and appreciate their scholarship and their school. The ones making big NIL money and getting lured away to transfer are rare.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You don't think these high school kids are considering how much they will get paid when picking their school?

True, college football has become a $1B industry, but sadly the "P5" schools are the ones reaping the revenue and blocking other schools from really advancing up the food chain.  The only reason schools like Cincy, BYU, Houston and UCF were invited to the Big XII is so that the conference would lose their status after the SEC made a power grab.  It was either backfill or watch the Big XII become another G5 conference.  The remaining Big XII schools were willing to do anything to protect their position as a P5 conference.

The NCAA is largely getting off from being held accountable as the NIL revenue, for the most part, is not coming out of their profits. 

The NCAA should provide all players at Member institutions: 

• Revenue sharing to the point where all athletes at member schools are provided a similar stipend 

• Medical and dental insurance, along with counseling 

• Seven-day-a-week meal plans 

• System to ensure players are on track to graduate within a defined period of time (actually progress and not just stay eligible - no more "undecided" majors starting with their Jr. years.

But the NCAA is so worried about the top schools breaking away that they will not look out for the good of all schools.