GM introduction and press conference at Texas Wreck (4-3-23)

NT80

Good grief people!    The guy was coaching North Texas in the NIT Semis & Finals LESS THAN 1 WEEK AGO!

Yes, it's proper to put it here in the Mean Green Basketball forum, because he was a Mean Green Basketball coach.    I bet we're going to see several McCasland threads along the way as he accomplishes things in Lubbock.   
It's not like we're going to start threads to get updates on Tech's 75-68 win VS Angelo State or something stupid.   Heck, this is likely the last thread we'll see on him for a while, unless he says something about NT.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Good grief people!    The guy was coaching North Texas in the NIT Semis & Finals LESS THAN 1 WEEK AGO!

Yes, it's proper to put it here in the Mean Green Basketball forum, because he was a Mean Green Basketball coach.    I bet we're going to see several McCasland threads along the way as he accomplishes things in Lubbock.   
It's not like we're going to start threads to get updates on Tech's 75-68 win VS Angelo State or something stupid.   Heck, this is likely the last thread we'll see on him for a while, unless he says something about NT.

Threads still pop up about Coach Jones a few times a year, so yeah.  It hurts now, but in time we'll largely be proud, look back at the good times, and remark positively about any success he has there.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Threads still pop up about Coach Jones a few times a year, so yeah.  It hurts now, but in time we'll largely be proud, look back at the good times, and remark positively about any success he has there.

It isn’t a bad thing for some of us to feel a sense of loss when we lose our very best coaches and players in the history of the program either.  You seem to let that go far too easily in my opinion.

Edited by Tom McKrackin

29 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

It isn’t a bad thing for some of us to feel a sense of loss when we lose our very best coaches and players in the history of the program either.  You seem to let that go far too easily in my opinion.

Well, Perry was a Senior, so I'd already assumed this was his last year.  Yes, he could have come back because of the Covid eligibility, but I didn't figure he would.  As I have said, I just guessed he'd try and play pro overseas, so from that standpoint - it sucks.  But it was a Hamlet situation.  He could have come back for his Covid year but didn't.

As far as McCasland goes...ever since he defeated Purdue I thought we were on borrowed time.  I've followed college basketball a long time.  When coaches from league like CUSA win tourney games, they're usually swooped up by a Power Conference school quickly.

Mac was a great coach.  Quite possibly the best we've ever had.  However, Jones was a great coach AND was beloved here.

I've read about, followed and cheered for Johnny Jones at every stop he's been.  I highly doubt I'll do the same with Mac.  Maybe I'm wrong and will follow him after some time passes...but I never felt that Mac was invested in UNT the same way that Jones was.  My personal opinion, which is worth nothing.

• Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Mac was a great coach.  Quite possibly the best we've ever had.  However, Jones was a great coach AND was beloved here.

I've read about, followed and cheered for Johnny Jones at every stop he's been.  I highly doubt I'll do the same with Mac.  Maybe I'm wrong and will follow him after some time passes...but I never felt that Mac was invested in UNT the same way that Jones was.  My personal opinion, which is worth nothing.

Mac was very invested! In my opinion, he was frustrated with the lack of support from the 100,000 other DFW alumni besides us diehard fans who can't show up to see a winning team play. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

disagree.

Not gonna dive into this, but I think this is a convo about personality and coaching types.

"Invested" means, they want to install a winning culture, and they want to compete to win every game.

Both of them seemed to love where they were (Denton) and were only going to leave when the right school - 1-3 specific schools - would come calling.  It just so happens, those specific names (LSU/TT) came calling.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

When Grant left ASU after only one year to come here, it was obvious he was a climber and this was just the next stepping stone. It’s a business. But despite his success here, I don’t care about what happens next for him.🤷🏻‍♂️

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

Mac was very invested! In my opinion, he was frustrated with the lack of support from the 100,000 other DFW alumni besides us diehard fans who can't show up to see a winning team play. 

Surely Mac had to realize the culture of NT Athletics before he arrived.  The previous 5 years in men's basketball was the Benford disaster.  We kept coaches in all sports with below .500 records because we couldn't afford to make a change.

At the Tech intro ceremony, the speeches were not just about making the NCAA Tournament, but Winning the Tournament is the first year goal. Lol.

7 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

When Grant left ASU after only one year to come here, it was obvious he was a climber and this was just the next stepping stone.

This...which is possibly why I don't have the same affinity for him as Jones.  I think my earned UNT "nut and gut punch" protector immediately sprung into action and never allowed me to think of him like one of our own.  I always expected him to leave.  Doesn't mean I am not grateful he came and took us to such heights so quickly.  He belongs in the HOF.  Just means he doesn't get the "beloved" tag like Jones and now that he's gone I won't follow him the same way.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Heck we’d get nearly weekly updates on Kason Martin’s post-UNT career in the football forum and he wasn’t even a starter much less the leader of a championship UNT team.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, NT80 said:

GMac is a good dude. I listened to the PC and it showed that he and Kirby agreed to honor the athletes at North Texas by allowing Grant to stay until season’s end.

Another thing that I took away from the PC is that we have a long way to go to be a basketball destination. The players were really the only thing he reflected on from his time here other than some talk of the staff and administrators in his introduction at USA. Hopefully consistent winning under Ross can finally move the needle on attendance and premier basketball facilities.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2