Get on the record

emmitt01

7 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Who wins the CUSA title game tonight?

I think UAB wins by 5+.   FAU is a good team, but they don’t appear to have championship mettle.   

I agree.  Plus, they’ve got Jelly and FAU doesn’t.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I agree.  Plus, they’ve got Jelly and FAU doesn’t.

I think the “Jelly” thing is overblown.  He’s a gifted scorer, but not why we lost.  We lost because we didn’t shut down the other players.  

It’s like Michael Jordan before he had a Pippen and Phil Jackson.   He scored a buttload of points, and bowed out in the first round.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I think the “Jelly” thing is overblown.  He’s a gifted scorer, but not why we lost.  We lost because we didn’t shut down the other players.  

It’s like Michael Jordan before he had a Pippen and Phil Jackson.   He scored a buttload of points, and bowed out in the first round.  

He may not be why we lost, but we win by double digits if he’s not there.  In the 2nd half, he wasn’t scoring a whole lot, but he was still the offense.

• Upvote 1

I'll say UAB wins.  With Jelly healthy, they have the most overall talent in the conference, I think.  He won't necessarily play as lights out as he did against NT--and he might not get away with the flops--but he doesn't have to be unstoppable for them to win.  FAU deserves the hype and top-25ish ranking (on and off), but they have shown some vulnerabilities in the past month.

• Downvote 1

We lost because we missed 6 dunks/layups in the first 10 minutes. If FAU can make their layups/dunks, I think they win. I know we should have.

Edit: for the purposes of the exercise, I'll answer UAB wins because I don't think FAU will get the looks we were able to get.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Still think it’s FAU. They’ve had the most complete team all year. 

FAU was the marathon runner that completed all 26.2 miles.

A one-and-done postseason tournament is a 4 day T&F event, with daily sprints to 100 meters, and UAB is the Tyson Gay.

Edited by greenminer

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

We lost because we couldn't get anything to go through that round orange hoop for way too long.  

Jelly is good but he didn't put them up 22-2 by making 5-pt shots (although 4pt plays gets close).  It was because we made something like 1 of our first 20 shots.

• Upvote 4

First, I think UAB is a better team than FAU.  But here’s why I want UAB to win.  We beat UAB twice during the regular season.  I know, I was a Jelly free win but the box score just says “W.”  We lost to FAU twice during the regular season despite being up 9 with 5 minutes left in Denton.  The line says UAB.  Me too.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

First, I think UAB is a better team than FAU.  But here’s why I want UAB to win.  We beat UAB twice during the regular season.  I know, I was a Jelly free win but the box score just says “W.”  We lost to FAU twice during the regular season despite being up 9 with 5 minutes left in Denton.  The line says UAB.  Me too.

The second win against UAB this season was absolutely NOT “jelly free.”   He had 20 in that matchup…the CUSA player of the year had 28.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Looks like UAB expended their blind luck in the first ten minutes against us last night*

*Not saying UAB isn’t a quality squad, but they couldn’t have played like they did that first ten minutes (and had us play worse) if they got to script their wildest dreams

That luck carried them all game yesterday. I recall a defensive possession where the ball got loose. Ousmane and Jones both dive for the ball and neither come up with it. They actually got in each others' way. The UAB player watching the play ended up with the ball. Happened several times.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

FAU was the marathon runner that completed all 26.2 miles.

A one-and-done postseason tournament is a 4 day T&F event, with daily sprints to 100 meters, and UAB is the Tyson Gay.

Care to comment? Lol I get exactly why you were saying though. FAU showed tonight that they are the real deal and could make some real noise in the dance. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Care to comment? Lol I get exactly why you were saying though. FAU showed tonight that they are the real deal and could make some real noise in the dance. 

I think the consensus was that their strength was mental toughness, not necessarily any specific weapons.  but, boy howdy! Great guard play today and I thought their center played an incredible game.  I was about to type "the game of his career", but that would be an assumption.  I don't have any insight on the other 25+ games they played. lol

A couple thoughts on UAB:

1) I also thought a lot about the contrast between today and our match yesterday, in terms of tempo/pace.  I cannot help but wonder if UAB was a bit out of sync after having to play such a drastically different pace from one day to the very next.

2) I felt FAU did a better job of making Jelly take tough shots.  We did okay, but yesterday Jelly was still hitting things (notably early, when they established the big lead).  This really reinforces my opinion that, as Jelly goes, so does UAB.

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

FAU doubling Jelly sure helps.  Why we didn’t do more to deny him the ball, I don’t understand.  Especially after he got hot and EVERYONE could see it.  We trusted our system, instead of adjusting to the game being played.

I bet you might find your answer in our 2nd win over them.