Netrankings

Clinetort

Two consecutive beat downs have UNT back up to 36th in NET (jumping 6! spots from yesterday to today). currently 41st in KenPom. If they could also beat down UAB  -a lot tougher to do than to do it to WKU and LaTech obvjously - I just think it could actually really propell them into the at-large range, as it would probably also improve the Kenpom quite a bit. Why that hope:

https://bracketologists.com/visualizations/net-kenpom-scatter

If you look at the scatterplot of where teams are and what kind of ranking was good enough for ALL teams ranked better in the past 3 years, you see UNT really close to that cut line now. For example: in 2021 and 2022 no team ranked 38th or better in NET was left out.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

On 3/5/2023 at 11:26 PM, Travis said:

Possible, yes. But I have a feeling we will end up like aTm from a few years past. 😞 

Texas A&M didn't make it despite their conference tourney run because the committee sets the field on Saturday. The SEC doesn't play their semi finals until Saturday and finals until Sunday.

Ridiculous process but it means you need to make your case for an at-large by Friday or get the autobid on the final weekend.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Texas A&M didn't make it despite their conference tourney run because the committee sets the field on Saturday. The SEC doesn't play their semi finals until Saturday and finals until Sunday.

Ridiculous process but it means you need to make your case for an at-large by Friday or get the autobid on the final weekend.

That is the case now, or at least last year.  I don't think that always has been though.  I feel like a few teams played their way in on Saturday/Sunday before.

10 minutes ago, CMJ said:

That is the case now, or at least last year.  I don't think that always has been though.  I feel like a few teams played their way in on Saturday/Sunday before.

It's last season that aTM missed out on an at-large despite making the SEC finals. It was too little too late for them for the big dance but they still made an NIT run all the way to the championship game.

18 minutes ago, CMJ said:

No, I know they missed last year.  I just meant that it hasn't always been standard operating procedure.  The committee changes their criteria and timing all the time.  I think they do it to frustrate us.

Received.

I haven't lost hope on an at-large but we absolutely need to win big (10+) today or there's no chance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Hard since they prefer to take the 7th through 9th place finishers from the P5 conference. 

I was just thinking about this on my drive to work.  I’d much rather see the 2nd and/or 3rd place team from the (fill in the blank) conference than the 7th/8th place team from any of the P5’s.  

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I was just thinking about this on my drive to work.  I’d much rather see the 2nd and/or 3rd place team from the (fill in the blank) conference than the 7th/8th place team from any of the P5’s.  

I think they should at least have to be at .500 in their league.  I know those conferences are brutal, but if you're 8-10 in your league, you shouldn't get in as an at-large.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I think they should at least have to be at .500 in their league.  I know those conferences are brutal, but if you're 8-10 in your league, you shouldn't get in as an at-large.

I caught some of the WVU/Kansas game yesterday.  Both teams have great players, but I don’t know that their team play is better than UNT.  A lot of sloppy play/passes/transitions/defense.

I realize my Green glasses may blur my vision, but I just don’t see head and shoulders better than us. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I caught some of the WVU/Kansas game yesterday.  Both teams have great players, but I don’t know that their team play is better than UNT.  A lot of sloppy play/passes/transitions/defense.

I realize my Green glasses may blur my vision, but I just don’t see head and shoulders better than us. 

WVU certainly isn't and I think we could impose our will on them.  Kansas, well....they have more great players and would probably eventually overwhelm us with them.  However, depending on how things broke, I think we could give them a game and maybe be in position to steal one going into the last few minutes.

The team that I wouldn't want to play is UCLA.  They play a lot like us, so our style wouldn't bother them.  And the Bruins have a lot of battle tested upper classmen that could have made the Final 4 last year...and did two years ago.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CMJ said:

WVU certainly isn't and I think we could impose our will on them.  Kansas, well....they have more great players and would probably eventually overwhelm us with them.  However, depending on how things broke, I think we could give them a game and maybe be in position to steal one going into the last few minutes.

The team that I wouldn't want to play is UCLA.  They play a lot like us, so our style wouldn't bother them.  And the Bruins have a lot of battle tested upper classmen that could have made the Final 4 last year...and did two years ago.

Thanks, @CMJ.  I don’t watch too much CBB aside from our games, so your insight is appreciated.  

Hope we’re able to continue trending upwards today, tomorrow, and so on. 

• Upvote 1

I understand the committee's position is toe select the top 64 teams, regardless of conference.

But if it means you can be sub-0.500 in a conference, and get in regularly because of your peers, then something needs to be done because you're regularly robbing 25+ win teams a chance to prove themselves.

I'm not saying it's wrong for you to be in.  But how about the NCAA demote you to a lower conference, say after 3+ bids when you're sub-0.500 in your conference? Incentivize your program to get better, and open up a spot for the 25+ win teams to upgrade their conference membership.

Edited by greenminer