Perry waiting until after season to determine if he will return to UNT for another season

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Every college senior is being asked about their future plans this time of year, athletes are no exception.  If he is graduating then I sure he probably has some job offers, grad school is an option (though he probably would have applied by now).  

I think the question could wait two weeks.  It's asked now just to stir the pot, which Vito loves to do with this fanbase.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, BleedingGreen said:

I will be happy for Tylor no matter what he decides. I think he will have good judgment.

Well he should just look at McBride and make a smart choice… or honestly even Reese who didn’t improve at all after his one year move. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

boy that sucks the wind out of the sail. guess that is the nature of college sports now.  I am not liking but I am sure the kids are.  

I think next year I will start attending Guyer football games and give up on basketball.  Every year there are new faces and I need a program who is on the team.  It was fun watching the players grow and following them through college.

Why play for free when you can get paid to do it.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

• Coach Andy Mac changed the title to Perry waiting until after season to determine if he will return to UNT for another season
6 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Grass ain't always greener.

depends on what you're looking for. 

Mo left here, got two key-player seasons of basketball in the most competitive conference in the NCAA...and is now in a near-dead-heat 5-way tie for top scorer in the Big East...where he's either thinking of building an individual resume for the NBA/G-League or just having fun as the primary scorer in a tough conference...all while attending a very well thought of school in the heart of a vibrant city. 

Reese and McBride got the chance to go home and finish their careers at the schools they may well have grown up supporting. 

right now there are probably no more than 300 kids (20 teams?) thinking that they might have a real chance at a National Championship this year...180 or so of those kids play...maybe 50 are really key contributors or stars. that leaves roughly 5000 players for whom largely college basketball is a 4-5 year life opportunity and none should be faulted for trying to maximize their time or their experience

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

depends on what you're looking for. 

Mo left here, got two key-player seasons of basketball in the most competitive conference in the NCAA...and is now in a near-dead-heat 5-way tie for top scorer in the Big East...where he's either thinking of building an individual resume for the NBA/G-League or just having fun as the primary scorer in a tough conference...all while attending a very well thought of school in the heart of a vibrant city. 

Reese and McBride got the chance to go home and finish their careers at the schools they may well have grown up supporting. 

right now there are probably no more than 300 kids (20 teams?) thinking that they might have a real chance at a National Championship this year...180 or so of those kids play...maybe 50 are really key contributors or stars. that leaves roughly 5000 players for whom largely college basketball is a 4-5 year life opportunity and none should be faulted for trying to maximize their time or their experience

I don't fault any player for transferring. I've often been downvoted here for defending players who transfer. No matter the reason, it's a personal decision that should be respected. My comment was purely looking at things from a competitive standpoint.

Sure, all 3 of them had the opportunity to compete at great schools in very rich basketball conferences. I'd imagine they thought they'd experience a bit more success. Maybe not. Maybe, like you said, they accomplished a personal goal and lifelong dream. Regardless, it's none of my business. From a purely basketball standpoint, I'm sure they also always dreamed of playing in the NCAA tournament. Reese and McBride accomplished that goal at UNT. Gibson accomplished it at OU. He could have accomplished it at UNT had he stayed but he didn't and that's fine.

I just want these basketball players to know thanks to them, UNT basketball has arrived. The rise hasn't stopped. They can accomplish almost anything they want from a basketball standpoint right here in Denton. For Perry, his dream was to play at UNT. He accomplished that. I'm sure he wants to play the NCAA tournament and he can do that UNT.

• Upvote 6
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't fault any player for transferring. I've often been downvoted here for defending players who transfer. No matter the reason, it's a personal decision that should be respected. My comment was purely looking at things from a competitive standpoint.

Sure, all 3 of them had the opportunity to compete at great schools in very rich basketball conferences. I'd imagine they thought they'd experience a bit more success. Maybe not. Maybe, like you said, they accomplished a personal goal and lifelong dream. Regardless, it's none of my business. From a purely basketball standpoint, I'm sure they also always dreamed of playing in the NCAA tournament. Reese and McBride accomplished that goal at UNT. Gibson accomplished it at OU. He could have accomplished it at UNT had he stayed but he didn't and that's fine.

I just want these basketball players to know thanks to them, UNT basketball has arrived. The rise hasn't stopped. They can accomplish almost anything they want from a basketball standpoint right here in Denton. For Perry, his dream was to play at UNT. He accomplished that. I'm sure he wants to play the NCAA tournament and he can do that UNT.

appreciate the reasoned response...and know despite the quote-reply, I don't think I was directing my mini-rant directly at you...you're, uh...reasonable. +1 Ray.

and I'm with you...this is as big-picture positive as I've felt about the program in my 20+ years a fan. McBride, the only player mentioned here who would have 22-23 eligibility as I understand it...would be a nice piece on this current team...but not a national title contender...and I think aside from legit stars, fluidity of scholarships is more important than a liked role player. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

how about this as hypothetical...

Tylor Perry helps lead UNT to a conference tourney victory. 
Tylor Perry helps lead an 11 seed UNT to a first round upset..of 5 seed TCU 
Tylor Perry drops 25 in an OT win over 4 seed Virginia
Tylor Perry drops 35 in an OT loss to 1 seed Houston

Tylor Perry transfers to a Houston squad for his last year of eligibility and is a key contributor on Houston's way to a National Championship in '24. 

who here is upset at TP?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

appreciate the reasoned response...and know despite the quote-reply, I don't think I was directing my mini-rant directly at you...you're, uh...reasonable. +1 Ray.

and I'm with you...this is as big-picture positive as I've felt about the program in my 20+ years a fan. McBride, the only player mentioned here who would have 22-23 eligibility as I understand it...would be a nice piece on this current team...but not a national title contender...and I think aside from legit stars, fluidity of scholarships is more important than a liked role player. 

I didn't take the "mini-rant" in any type of negative way. I enjoy the UNT related conversations here or I wouldn't be here.

McCasland has done such a great job at reloading yearly that I'm really not worried about anybody leaving. Under McCasland, we've seen many of our top players leave, or in the case of Smart mysteriously drop off, and the program has done nothing but get better. We'll be fine regardless no matter who leaves. I trust McCasland.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

how about this as hypothetical...

Tylor Perry helps lead UNT to a conference tourney victory. 
Tylor Perry helps lead an 11 seed UNT to a first round upset..of 5 seed TCU 
Tylor Perry drops 25 in an OT win over 4 seed Virginia
Tylor Perry drops 35 in an OT loss to 1 seed Houston

Tylor Perry transfers to a Houston squad for his last year of eligibility and is a key contributor on Houston's way to a National Championship in '24. 

who here is upset at TP?

Not I.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Not I.

ok...let's change the hypothetical to TP goes absolutely nuts in the conference tournament, leads us to the finals where we lose a heartbreaking 3 OT game to FAU. 

and then he transfers to UH and wins a naty. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

ok...let's change the hypothetical to TP goes absolutely nuts in the conference tournament, leads us to the finals where we lose a heartbreaking 3 OT game to FAU. 

and then he transfers to UH and wins a naty. 

Doesn't change for me. We can go out in first round and he transfer anywhere and I'd be fine with it. Thanks for the memories. There were great moments. Wish there'd been a few more in March but it is what it is. Best of luck. Never forget about North Texas.

I've been downvoted plenty for this position when football players transfer out. Do what's best for you. Apparently this philosophy is one of the many things wrong with my generation.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1