UNT TRANSFER PORTAL ACTIVITY

El Paso Eagle

16 hours ago, Moobs said:

This is actually not a bad idea.  Catch players at their second collegiate stops and they have to sit out a year if they decide to leave you too.  That alone will probably keep most of them from leaving your program.

Make a name for developing the talent and this is a real viable recruiting strategy.

I wouldn’t count on the “sit out a year after transferring the second time.” The NCAA seems to have set a precedent that they are granting waivers to not have to sit out. Multiple QBs like JT Daniels and other players have and are doing it this offseason for a second or third time, presuming the NCAA will allow them to. Umoja Gibson transferred from UNT to OU two years ago and was immediately eligible, then transferred again this offseason and was immediately eligible at Depaul.

Also, I think the evidence we have still shows it’s best to build around high school players. Those have continually been our best players. Guys we had as freshmen. Portal guys have generally not been more than complementary players at best. Hopefully it gets better but I still think you’re more likely to get all-conference guys as high school players than rely on P5 washouts or lower level guys moving up.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

44 minutes ago, KeithLee said:

Thanks @UNTLifer We hope so too. Losing Jake and Asher hurts bad. They were more than great football players. They are what every team needs as students, leaders, friends, teammates, and mentors to our young players. They will be severely missed.  They were work horses and wish the best for both. They are better players from their time at UNT. CLee and Gumms definitely have big shoes to fill.

Timing sucks on all this. Especially, with all leaving for Christmas Break. However, I believe once Coach Morris gets staff hired and has meetings with all the remaining players, everyone will have more clarity in the direction. 

*FYI* CLee is by no means slow!!! 😂 he ran a 4.54 in HS. He went from 201-230lbs his first year.  Gotta get used to tha extra weight. 😂 ** 

Thank you for the correction.  I certainly hope Christian is a big part of our future.

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, KeithLee said:

Not a correction. He just hasn’t got to show his speed, route running, or catching radius, unless you have come to spring games or fall scrimmage. Had a concussion and had a high ankle sprain that set him out last year for a bit and this year on the ankle. We were blessed with a great TE room. I have heard we are hiring a TE coach supposedly, but I’m thinking it will be inside receiver coach. This is Christian’s strengths. As a former QB and WR in high school, i believe him flexing out helps this team. 

People might argue how much Morris had to do with Mahomes’ success but they definitely can’t argue Jace Amaro, who was an absolute stud TE that was basically a big slot receiver.

Could do the same for Christian IMO.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, MGNation92 said:

People might argue how much Morris had to do with Mahomes’ success but they definitely can’t argue Jace Amaro, who was an absolute stud TE that was basically a big slot receiver.

Could do the same for Christian IMO.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. But hell, I’m biased as hell. 😂 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

We have a good NIL you dill

Ahh yes, the NIL program spearheaded by someone we fired that was last mentioned here months ago for using their official twitter account to reply to political tweets completely unrelated to college athletics. 

I knew we would lose players like him, doesn't make it hurt less he is talented for sure.

• Upvote 5

Just now, DentonStang said:

Excellent. Please talk to your friends in San Antonio who were complaining to the media about being outspent and raided!

If they aren't bragging about their football team, they are crying about something else. It's just what they do down there

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Excellent. Please talk to your friends in San Antonio who were complaining to the media about being outspent and raided!

Again, and perhaps this concept is going over you. The complaint is about contacting players not in the portal.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

No, they are complaining about the direct recruiting of players while they are at another school.  In the professional leagues, they call this tampering, but the NCAA doesn't have any balls, and although you are supposedly a church based school, smuT has zero morals or character.  By the way Richard, why are you on our site anyway?  You must be related to CougarQueen.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Well how else would you entice them to enter the portal if you don't contact their people?  Duh. 

Well, that is illegal to contact players who have not entered the portal. But I guess illegal doesn't mean anything at SMU since you all have been doing illegal crap for years. Just ask Eric Dickerson.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I wouldn’t count on the “sit out a year after transferring the second time.” The NCAA seems to have set a precedent that they are granting waivers to not have to sit out. Multiple QBs like JT Daniels and other players have and are doing it this offseason for a second or third time, presuming the NCAA will allow them to. Umoja Gibson transferred from UNT to OU two years ago and was immediately eligible, then transferred again this offseason and was immediately eligible at Depaul.

Also, I think the evidence we have still shows it’s best to build around high school players. Those have continually been our best players. Guys we had as freshmen. Portal guys have generally not been more than complementary players at best. Hopefully it gets better but I still think you’re more likely to get all-conference guys as high school players than rely on P5 washouts or lower level guys moving up.

This is not the current idea at most schools. TP is still in the infancy stage. Their could be opportunity with HS players, because everybody is going after transfer players. You just need to figure out how you keep them once they develop. QB is a position I would not recruit out of HS. We could be in a great position with EM and players wanting to play coming from the P5 level.GMG

• Upvote 1