Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

UH Game: Just One Question


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

Gigantic Question:

What SEC team is Tune looking to transfer to ?  I think he still gets 4 games until he self-redshirts.  Isn't that how they do it down there now?

Probably follow King to Miami.  Wait, King is coming back to Houston, right?  Just sitting out one year?  I am so confused.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

Gigantic Question:

What SEC team is Tune looking to transfer to ?  I think he still gets 4 games until he self-redshirts.  Isn't that how they do it down there now?

Holgorsen asked him to redshirt expecting him to come back.  King got jumpy about how much Dana liked Tune and left.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

Holgorsen asked him to redshirt expecting him to come back.  King got jumpy about how much Dana liked Tune and left.

No dude.  That’s the feel good story y’all were led to believe.

King wasn’t returning the second he decided to take the redshirt... like everyone else in America knew.

  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up a Cougar brat. My pops was on those 70s Cotton Bowl teams.  He was pretty embarrassed with last yrs tank.  I completely understood it, it just felt gross and wrong, but it was logical.  Times are a changin, and that was as clear an example as you’ll find.  And that was BEFORE Covid.  We are going to continue to see a way different version of CFB.  I’m conflicted about a lot of it but it’s an interesting thing to observe for sure. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No dude.  That’s the feel good story y’all were led to believe.

King wasn’t returning the second he decided to take the redshirt... like everyone else in America knew.

I guess you know more than Sam Khan, Dana Holgorsen, and Keith Corbin, the other UH senior who was announced as redshirting at the same time as King and who is still with the team.  https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29844641/after-transfer-tragedy-deriq-king-finds-way-back-field

Edited by NTXCoog
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

I guess you know more than Sam Khan, Dana Holgorsen, and Keith Corbin, the other UH senior who was announced as redshirting at the same time as King and who is still with the team.  https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29844641/after-transfer-tragedy-deriq-king-finds-way-back-field

It was obvious he was gonna be at a real power school—I figured OU, but Miami got him instead...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

I guess you know more than Sam Khan, Dana Holgorsen, and Keith Corbin, the other UH senior who was announced as redshirting at the same time as King and who is still with the team.  https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29844641/after-transfer-tragedy-deriq-king-finds-way-back-field

Who's Sam Khan?   What is Holgorsen supposed to say?  And what was KING supposed to say?  His dad had already said it for him.
And Keith Corbin (and weren't there even others?) are not NEARLY as good as King.  None of them were going anywhere else, because those P5 schools wouldn't want them.   King... different story. 
It's OK, y'all will be fine.  No one else in America believed King was going to be a Cougar in 2020 though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Who's Sam Khan?   What is Holgorsen supposed to say?  And what was KING supposed to say?  His dad had already said it for him.
And Keith Corbin (and weren't there even others?) are not NEARLY as good as King.  None of them were going anywhere else, because those P5 schools wouldn't want them.   King... different story. 
It's OK, y'all will be fine.  No one else in America believed King was going to be a Cougar in 2020 though.

If you don't know who Sam Khan is then you clearly don't keep up with UH which is ok but don't pretend to be knowledgeable. I do think King's dad made it clear of his decision, but some of y'all didn't know who King was until the redshirt controversy. I'm not sure why y'all pretend to know our roster when yall don't. Corbin from an output stand point can't be better than King because he's a WR. He is however just as good at his position as King is at his.  He's our true number 2 WR and you fellas are very fortunate he didn't play last year in Denton. As far as no one wanting him that's false. He had offers and so did Jarrid Williams who transferred with King and starts offensive line for Miami. Corbin decided to stay because his best friend and roommate Marquez Stevenson decided to stay. 

  • Eye Roll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AACP6 said:

If you don't know who Sam Khan is then you clearly don't keep up with UH which is ok but don't pretend to be knowledgeable. I do think King's dad made it clear of his decision, but some of y'all didn't know who King was until the redshirt controversy. I'm not sure why y'all pretend to know our roster when yall don't. Corbin from an output stand point can't be better than King because he's a WR. He is however just as good at his position as King is at his.  He's our true number 2 WR and you fellas are very fortunate he didn't play last year in Denton. As far as no one wanting him that's false. He had offers and so did Jarrid Williams who transferred with King and starts offensive line for Miami. Corbin decided to stay because his best friend and roommate Marquez Stevenson decided to stay. 

Tell your buddy @NTXCoog.

And, you're kidding if you think NT fans aren't aware of D'Eriq King.  Just about every college football fan is aware of D'Eriq King.  He's a monster.

Corbin a "true number 2 WR"?   That's a guy who P5's are going to fall all over themselves to get?   He's not on King's level.  He's a fine player, no doubt.  And one that will likely give NT fits, but please be honest with yourselves Cougar fans.

Here's to a fun game on Saturday, if it gets played.
As an NT fan, I'm hoping for just enough rust on you guys that we can keep the game interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As an NT fan, I'm hoping for just enough rust on you guys that we can keep the game interesting.

They are in Houston.  Rust is a given.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Tell your buddy @NTXCoog.

And, you're kidding if you think NT fans aren't aware of D'Eriq King.  Just about every college football fan is aware of D'Eriq King.  He's a monster.

Corbin a "true number 2 WR"?   That's a guy who P5's are going to fall all over themselves to get?   He's not on King's level.  He's a fine player, no doubt.  And one that will likely give NT fits, but please be honest with yourselves Cougar fans.

Here's to a fun game on Saturday, if it gets played.
As an NT fan, I'm hoping for just enough rust on you guys that we can keep the game interesting.

The question is not if y'all know. The question is when did y'all know King was a monster? My statement still stands. Corbin had P5 offers from Nebraska, Tech, and TCU coming out of high school. Not King's offer level but definitely no slouch. And again, he had offers to transfer when he redshirted. Jarrid Williams who starts at Miami only had one offer out of high school and it was to UH. If he can get an offer and start do you not think Corbin got offers? Corbin is a real difference maker if you've followed UH football since he's been there. Hoping for a good game but mostly hoping Corbin puts up more total yards than King does in his game. 😂 Good luck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, AACP6 said:

The question is not if y'all know. The question is when did y'all know King was a monster? My statement still stands. Corbin had P5 offers from Nebraska, Tech, and TCU coming out of high school. Not King's offer level but definitely no slouch. And again, he had offers to transfer when he redshirted. Jarrid Williams who starts at Miami only had one offer out of high school and it was to UH. If he can get an offer and start do you not think Corbin got offers? Corbin is a real difference maker if you've followed UH football since he's been there. Hoping for a good game but mostly hoping Corbin puts up more total yards than King does in his game. 😂 Good luck. 

Jarrid Williams is an OL, one of the hardest position groups to fill and on one of Miami’s weakest position groups previously (possibly their worst). So he’s a little different than a skill position player.  Most G5s can get quality at those (WR, RB) positions, and the P5s usually get so many that they transfer DOWN. Corbin is a real difference maker at the G5 level. But unlike QB, OL, DL, he’s simply not such that a big P5 is going to feel a need to come sniffing around for. 
 

And no, even though kids make dumb decisions, I’m not gonna believe they are going to get an offer from a big-time P5 and turn it down because their friend was staying at Houston or any other G5.

“Yeah, I can get better coaching, more exposure, a chance at a FBS Championship, a better draft position to earn potentially millions of dollars, but I gotta stay here with my bro. Football and my future are important, sure, but college roommates are forever.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AACP6 said:

The question is not if y'all know. The question is when did y'all know King was a monster? My statement still stands. Corbin had P5 offers from Nebraska, Tech, and TCU coming out of high school. Not King's offer level but definitely no slouch. And again, he had offers to transfer when he redshirted. Jarrid Williams who starts at Miami only had one offer out of high school and it was to UH. If he can get an offer and start do you not think Corbin got offers? Corbin is a real difference maker if you've followed UH football since he's been there. Hoping for a good game but mostly hoping Corbin puts up more total yards than King does in his game. 😂 Good luck. 

I mean, I follow TX football closely, so I knew about him and how awesome he'd be while at Manvel.   But I'd say for more casual fans, he blew up in that nationally televised game VS Arizona where he pretty much had his way with their defense all night long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Who's Sam Khan?   What is Holgorsen supposed to say?  And what was KING supposed to say?  His dad had already said it for him.
And Keith Corbin (and weren't there even others?) are not NEARLY as good as King.  None of them were going anywhere else, because those P5 schools wouldn't want them.   King... different story. 
It's OK, y'all will be fine.  No one else in America believed King was going to be a Cougar in 2020 though.

Sam Khan has been the UH beat writer and author of the article I linked.  Compare him to Brett Vito for UNT except now he's national working for ESPN.  He knows UH football.  He knows all the back stories.  But obviously you know more than him.

Corbin could have transferred to a P5.  He had offers from TCU, Nebraska, TT, and Wisconsin out of HS.  But you knew that

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Jarrid Williams is an OL, one of the hardest position groups to fill and on one of Miami’s weakest position groups previously (possibly their worst). So he’s a little different than a skill position player.  Most G5s can get quality at those (WR, RB) positions, and the P5s usually get so many that they transfer DOWN. Corbin is a real difference maker at the G5 level. But unlike QB, OL, DL, he’s simply not such that a big P5 is going to feel a need to come sniffing around for. 
 

And no, even though kids make dumb decisions, I’m not gonna believe they are going to get an offer from a big-time P5 and turn it down because their friend was staying at Houston or any other G5.

“Yeah, I can get better coaching, more exposure, a chance at a FBS Championship, a better draft position to earn potentially millions of dollars, but I gotta stay here with my bro. Football and my future are important, sure, but college roommates are forever.”

Dude Jarrid Williams was a 2 star with no other offers from any school except UH. P5 came sniffing around because they saw film on him after coach Jones got hands on him. Just like the rest of our OL. It had nothing to do with vacancy or difficulty with filling needs. The kid was underrated and under-recruited. And whether your logic checks out or not does not change the fact that Corbin had offers and wanted to stay for various reasons. For the most part athletes to want to stay at UH. I think you're projecting a bit since Jalen Guyton darted on you guys.

You think a guy with no offers to a P5 can raise curiosity but a guy who had P5 offers out of high school didn't? Your own logic is imploding on you. And the sarcastic drivel at the end is silly. Most of it is debatable. Miami or any undisclosed P5 is automatically assumed "big time " or has a chance at a CFP spot? Outside of the top 10 it becomes nearly impossible. Some kids understand their best bet is to finish were they started, and can still make millions. Don't be a P5 elitist. You can play anywhere and get drafted. Even at UNT. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

Sam Khan has been the UH beat writer and author of the article I linked.  Compare him to Brett Vito for UNT except now he's national working for ESPN.  He knows UH football.  He knows all the back stories.  But obviously you know more than him.

Corbin could have transferred to a P5.  He had offers from TCU, Nebraska, TT, and Wisconsin out of HS.  But you knew that

  

What are you expecting King to tell Khan?    "Yeah man, I know coach Holgorsen said this, and I said that, but for real, I saw an opportunity to get out and I took it!"

Khan's a beat writer, not King's friend.   
I wouldn't expect Mason Fine to say anything like this to Brett Vito if he were in King's shoes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I mean, I follow TX football closely, so I knew about him and how awesome he'd be while at Manvel.   But I'd say for more casual fans, he blew up in that nationally televised game VS Arizona where he pretty much had his way with their defense all night long.

I believe you but some guys need to stop. I've seen some real ignorance on this board. That's including the rationale on another post suggesting UNT having the same talent as SMU. 

  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AACP6 said:

Dude Jarrid Williams was a 2 star with no other offers from any school except UH. P5 came sniffing around because they saw film on him after coach Jones got hands on him. Just like the rest of our OL. It had nothing to do with vacancy or difficulty with filling needs. The kid was underrated and under-recruited. And whether your logic checks out or not does not change the fact that Corbin had offers and wanted to stay for various reasons. For the most part athletes to want to stay at UH. I think you're projecting a bit since Jalen Guyton darted on you guys.

You think a guy with no offers to a P5 can raise curiosity but a guy who had P5 offers out of high school didn't? Your own logic is imploding on you. And the sarcastic drivel at the end is silly. Most of it is debatable. Miami or any undisclosed P5 is automatically assumed "big time " or has a chance at a CFP spot? Outside of the top 10 it becomes nearly impossible. Some kids understand their best bet is to finish were they started, and can still make millions. Don't be a P5 elitist. You can play anywhere and get drafted. Even at UNT. 

Uhm, yeah, it did. But I'm guessing you don't know anything about Miami football, other than D'Eriq King goes there now. They needed serious help on the OL, and it's one of the hardest positions to fill. If you can get transfer OL especially, due to the years spent in college Strength and Training programs, all the better. WR are a dime a dozen. So really, it's not just Miami football you don't get. Positional scarcity is a real thing, and WR ain't it. And unless he's an absolute WORLD beater, P5s aren't gonna fall over themselves for a WR or RB. Again, those positions are much easier to recruit and fill. Everybody has 10 on their roster, and you can more easily rely on younger players to play them, unlike QB or OL (or DL, for that matter). These are facts.

Also, him being under-recruited further diminishes your previous point that Corbin was a better get based on his offer lists.  Was he under-recruited, or was he properly recruited and thus Corbin is better based on his offer list? Offer lists also don't mean a whole lot after a few years. Guys are looking at tape and what they're doing at the college level to determine their present value.

As far as Guyton, he left to go play in the NFL. He also proves MY point, since he was recruited to Notre Dame and ended up transferring down. That was NFL level talent, clearly, and he played at UNT. But he FIRST went to Notre Dame. Again, skill positions are out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Harry locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.