Kason Martin stock is rising (Practice 11 recap)

Coach Andy Mac

Kason Martin - Football - University of North Texas Athletics

Kason Martin rolled to his right and completed a deep ball to redshirt junior receiver Greg White (Riverdale, Georgia), who went up and got it, and was able to come down in bounds inside the 10-yard line for a first down.

read more:  https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/8/19/football-day-11-notebook-defense-clamps-down.aspx

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

47 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Not sure this is really indicative of Martin’s stock rising. Each QB (Aune, Bean, and Martin) got two lines mentioning them, with Aune getting play of the day.

Also, separate prediction. I’m thinking we see Upton Stout as true freshman who gets some playing time this season. Undersized but I think he fits that nickel role really well as a corner/safety hybrid, and LeAndre Davis leaving the team could help boost him up the depth chart sooner.

Morris has been getting his name called a bit too.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Also, separate prediction. I’m thinking we see Upton Stout as true freshman who gets some playing time this season. Undersized but I think he fits that nickel role really well as a corner/safety hybrid, and LeAndre Davis leaving the team could help boost him up the depth chart sooner.

You think he trends ahead of Burke, Weaver and Nichols in the true freshmen class of DB's?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Not sure this is really indicative of Martin’s stock rising. Each QB (Aune, Bean, and Martin) got two lines mentioning them, with Aune getting play of the day.

I like Stout there too.   And I know I said this last year (and because of Shorter, I was wrong), but I think this season Ogunmakin breaks out.  His name has popped up often so far this Fall.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Agreed. I still think it's a two horse race for the QB spot.

I think Gibbs will get the start at the nickel, but I could see Stout pushing for playing time. Curious where Jevin Murray stands in all this. He had an incredible offer list out of high school. 

As for the other safeties I like Morris and Sanders to start. 

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I like Stout there too.   And I know I said this last year (and because of Shorter, I was wrong), but I think this season Ogunmakin breaks out.  His name has popped up often so far this Fall.

I would think we see a lot more Greg White and Ogunmakin because I know both have great talent, and they have had a whole season under their belt experience wise. 

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Kind of surprised to see Deonte Simpson’s name so little. I still think he’s our starter on the outside opposite Shorter, but having Ogunmakin behind them is a great asset. Not to mention 3 freshmen behind them who all had multiple P5 offers when we signed them out of high school (Kealon Jackson, Detraveon Brown, Loronzo Thompson). That’s a great situation to have, and whoever emerges from that talented group will likely be all-CUSA caliber.

30 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I think Gibbs will get the start at the nickel, but I could see Stout pushing for playing time. Curious where Jevin Murray stands in all this. He had an incredible offer list out of high school. 

I am hoping we see one of the younger guys play Sanders out of a spot. He seems like a passable player, not a liability, but I just didn’t see much playmaking ability from him. Don’t see him covering a lot of ground in coverage and he got blocked out of plays too easily and frequently. We do have a lot of talented secondary players, including a good bunch who had P5 offers in high school. Would be nice to have some playmakers in the secondary again, not just do your job guys.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I am a Gibbs fan, but I have noticed that Keelan Crosby has been mentioned a couple of times in the workout/practice articles.  Jevin Murray was a beast in high school.  It is good to have options.

• Upvote 1