Perspective...

NorthTexasWeLove

We are sitting at a +1 improvement from season to season with a chance for a +2 improvement with the bowl game. Also a chance to get to 10 wins which IMO is a great achievement. Only a couple handful of teams throughout FBS hits that milestone each year. 

With that said, we have to be the weakest 9-3 team of all time. Our opponents have a combined record of 43-69. We had 3 bowl eligible teams on the schedule and beat one of them (So Miss). We have had 9 legitimate pushovers on the schedule and even managed to lose to one of them. CUSA has turned and turned quickly to a really, really bad football conference. 

• Upvote 8
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 13

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We are sitting at a +1 improvement from season to season with a chance for a +2 improvement with the bowl game. Also a chance to get to 10 wins which IMO is a great achievement. Only a couple handful of teams throughout FBS hits that milestone each year. 

With that said, we have to be the weakest 9-3 team of all time. Our opponents have a combined record of 43-69. We had 3 bowl eligible teams on the schedule and beat one of them (So Miss). We have had 9 legitimate pushovers on the schedule and even managed to lose to one of them. CUSA has turned and turned quickly to a really, really bad football conference. 

This conference has sucked for a few years now. I don’t see it getting any better anytime soon, either.

Its been a great year—I expected 8-4 and we ended up 9-3. But I also expected us to get to 8 because of the weakness of the entire schedule. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Do you think UT is bitching about going to the conference title game in the most overrated P5 conference?  

Nope, they’re celebrating “being back.”

Big12 is not overrated. It's rated properly. Though that has nothing to do with us and our current current situation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Booo hooo

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, risinggreen said:

That MWC may look a little better now, even for those who can't deal with an hour or two time difference. 

Staying in CUSA in it's current form should be avoided at all costs. I know the time difference, losing regional ties, etc, will turn some people off, but we cannot afford to be picky.

*See Maryland leaving the ACC. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices. (I doubt we'll ever have this kind of opportunity though)

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, THOR said:

why does it matter how great our conference is?  win games, go to bowls, enjoy...damn...enjoy it

Because regardless of what kind of success we may or may not have, our program and programs like ours are currently in an unsuatainable format to hold serve for continuing years. The fall of attendance and tv money paired with the rise of salaries and facility costs is not a formula we can maneuver through and hope for sustainability. That's why it matters. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Staying in CUSA in it's current form should be avoided at all costs. I know the time difference, losing regional ties, etc, will turn some people off, but we cannot afford to be picky.

*See Maryland leaving the ACC. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices. (I doubt we'll ever have this kind of opportunity though)

This is assuming that the MWC even wants to invite us to come join their league.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I would hate the time zone with MW teams, looking last night at scores when we were ending many of their teams had not even started yet.  I think the rest of us will have to get together and look at conferences that make better sense.  I don't know which teams would end up where but it will have to be done since the TV dollars are shrinking fast.  It is really too bad because I enjoy watching other teams on TV besides the p-5 group.  The P-5 will be the death of the college football game.   What made college football great was when teams were on a level playing field with each other. That is why I love it when any p-5 team loses to a to any team out of the p-5 group.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm personally not sure what UNT should do about conference affiliation. I do see that as soon as we accepted the invite from CISA all the teams I was excited to play bailed and went elsewhere and we ended up in Sun Belt 2.0. If we were to jump ship with CUSA I would hope the powers that be would make sure the conference we'd be going to would be adding UNT and not adding a bunch of new schools changing what we thought was a better conference.

Only one worse conference division than us...Sun Belt west....THATS WHERE WE CAME FROM....we didn't improve our conference affiliation when we moved to CUSA. But there are those who will deny this...to bad.

My question to all would be, "where do you want to be in 5 years or more. Stay where we're at or keep moving up the food chain"?

12 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

What’s your point.   A few years ago, we were the weakest 2-3 win ever , now we are “weakest 9 win team of all time”.  Not where ANY of us want to  be but directionally I would take a bad 9 win team as an improvement.   If you think we are going to go from 2-3 wins to being invited to P5 in 2 years you should get back on those meds.  If we are still this in 4-5 years, then I will be disappointed.

Signs that we’re arent where we need to be but are improving:

- back to back 9 win seasons

- finally a top of conference recruiting class next year.

- continuing major improvements in facilities

I don’t accept this as the endpoint, but I accept it as Improvement.

And if you are disappointed with the results on the field, join the club but consider what we did it with.  A whole lot of  years of low ranked recruiting classes.  Did we underachieve for our talent, or just your expectations after first 3 weeks?  Sometimes you are what you are, but I like what we look like what we could become  if we continue on this trajectory.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Our opponents have a combined record of 43-69. We had 3 bowl eligible teams on the schedule and beat one of them (So Miss). We have had 9 legitimate pushovers on the schedule and even managed to lose to one of them.

Wait.....so now your upset over our quality of wins?

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

12 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Because regardless of what kind of success we may or may not have, our program and programs like ours are currently in an unsuatainable format to hold serve for continuing years. The fall of attendance and tv money paired with the rise of salaries and facility costs is not a formula we can maneuver through and hope for sustainability. That's why it matters. 

Good post, NorthTexasWe Love!  There are some on this board who actually know their shit from their oatmeal.  The ones who don't)  need to graduate &  go to work for the goverment where they'd most likely be comfortable or........ take a trip to Mars, Venus or the Moon because they don't really have a clue about the history of this athletic program & how our 3 steps forward---5 backwards has been the UNT modus operendi thru the decades; at least since the early 70's when I was a student. 

The above Saragin conference rankings I had to take a double take because............folks...........the Missouri Valley Conference was the league we were in when I first arrived as an NTSU student in the Spring of 1972.   Is this progress or are we just going in circles spinning our wheels?  Our Big 4 (Smatresk, BOR's, the AD & the Mega-Donors) have to find something better for this athletic program because I fear a Free Fall for most of the G5 is coming to a theatre near all of us.    CUSA in its present form will only keep UNT in the NCAA aquarium as a scavenger fish.  Some of you can see this and some (?).............well how is your family doing? 

Apogee was progress albeit we have yet to sell it out completely, but we didn't even recruit toward that "beaut" with McCarney of which he and few of his buds rarely left campus to recruit.  Don't want to sound cold-hearted, but looking back he should have been re-assgned after his stroke.  

Thru the decades in Denton Town many fans and alums lived on the old  "Damn!  Look at our potential" card but some of us quit listening to that tommyrot a long time ago.  The NO"s Bowl games were great for the national publicity but that SBC-sponsored bowl game didn't get Darrrel Dickey a Head Football Coach's job at a P5 school.  That alone spoke volumes about the non-respect we were getting in the Sun Belt Conference & then (to add insult to injury) we go to the Big Easy last year & get our heads handed to us on a green tarnished platter. 

Our Big 4 leaders have to start looking for something different because a school like North Texas being in a major league sports market will die on the Group of 5 vine quicker than those schools at outposts where teams (and potential recruits)  have to parachute into to get  there.  They have no choice because of their small constituencies & low population (non-Top 50) TV markets, but IMO North Texas will one day have a choice if it will just play its cards correctly.  And the beat goes on.....

GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 4