Perspective...

NorthTexasWeLove

38 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I guess if having to play the likes of McNeese St,  Liberty,  Idaho St or North Alabama just to get to 6-6 and a chance at some hardware every year is your thing..... then yeah....that’s a fantastic approach.

Rick

Don't combine yearly schedules to make your point more effective. 

They have a schedule that dwarfs ours. And when they eventually put together a good team, which they will, they will be national relevant and unlike UCF will contend for a playoff berth...due to the decisions they made to better themselves. 

Meanwhile, we'll gloat over a division crown and statistics. 

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

If this ever does occur.... hopefully  CougarFans.com can embrace JosephSmithWeLove with all the affection he deserves.

Rick

No if...they will. And btw...I have no love for BYU. I just admire their decision to write their future instead of find comfort in their former current state. 

8 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They were on national tv 2 nights ago vs a top25 team. 

Once BYU get a back to 8 and 9 wins you will see them more because they dictate their schedule and will be marquee games once THEY get better. Their schedule is great. Next year they host Utah, USC, Washington, and Boise while traveling to Tennessee, Toledo, USF, and SDSU. 

Their game with Utah was televised because it was at Utah and Pac 12 inventory. That had nothing to do with BYU. However, they do have their own TV contract I've seen estimated at $4 million. No where near P5 deals but  yeah, better than CUSA. 

Here's the truth, independence works for national brands only. UMASS, New Mexico State and Liberty all desperately want in a conference. No one will take them. They aren't independent by choice. Notre Dame is a huge national brand. Catholics all over the US tune in. They are able to be in a Power conference in other sports so it's a no brainer. Important to note they do have an ACC footballs scheduling alliance. They play 6 ACC games annually if I remember correctly. The ACC owns the rights to the games on their conferences. Notre Dame owns their home games. 

Army is in the middle. They are a national brand. It's the Army for heaven sakes. But it isn't that profitable and causes scheduling issues and their other sports aren't in a great spot. Which is why Navy left independence and joined the AAC. Air Force is in the MWC. You get guaranteed schedules, revenue, etc. I think Army has flirted at times with joining CUSA. 

BYU went indy basically out of spite and bitterness because their ego was hurt when Utah got the almight Power 5 bid. Maybe it was a good strategy long term but that remains to be seen. I guarantee you they have days when they wonder if it was the right move.

It was be catastrophic for UNT to go independent. Any argument otherwise isn't rooted in logic. Put it this way, not a single team that's moved to P5 did so from "indepedence"

Our FB schedule would be decimated. We simply aren't enough a TV draw for Power 5 conferences (or the American) or any other conference to regularly interrupt their conference schedule to insert us in the back end. Wanna know how bad it is to be independent? NMSU and Liberty played each other twice to have a schedule. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They were on national tv 2 nights ago vs a top25 team. 

Once BYU get a back to 8 and 9 wins you will see them more because they dictate their schedule and will be marquee games once THEY get better. Their schedule is great. Next year they host Utah, USC, Washington, and Boise while traveling to Tennessee, Toledo, USF, and SDSU. 

They won't get to 8 or 9 victories playing those teams and will be lucky to be bowl eligible.

• Thanks 1