Loss is on the Coaches

meangreenacct

Coaches lost this game, players got the ball within 15 yards of "ideal" field goal range, we have 3 plays to just go 15 yards to be in position for an easy field goal, play 1, long pass to the end zone (why), second play was a run (why), third is a run (why); good god, why not throw a slant 10-15 yards, had been working all night. This lost is on the coaches, players got the team in position to easily win. 

21-6 first quarter and we give the game back to them, that's on the defense and coaches!

Edited by UNT78
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Is there a win or loss that you cannot blame on the coaches?   The offensive line could not protect Fine and the running game was far from dominating particularly with Easly out. 

On the final drive I would have went for a first down instead of a field goal attempt of that distance.  However, with about 30 seconds left and a couple of yards to go, I can't really fault the decision.   

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Felozano said:

There’s a lot of blame to go around. But...The coaches didn’t cause Torrey’s fumble, cause Darden’s muffed punt, or miss the original go ahead field goal.  Losses happen, it’s just unfortunate it happened tonight and all of the potential national exposure. Maybe this will bring the team back to earth and get them charged to run the table?!?!  GMG!

They were not directly responsible for the players and their individual mistakes, yes. But they are fully responsible for their direction and response to those situations though.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Those who keep mentioning that the hype got to the team and they bought-in & didn't play like they should have because they got too full of themselves...  you're wrong.  I don't know what else to say.

The coaches put Cam Johnson in behind Kemon Hall.  That's how the depth chart shook out after Fall practice.   Come game time, Cam's not what we thought he was.  LATech found that out quickly, and picked on him to the tune of PI calls, 1st downs & TDs.  The coaches realized, OMG! We need Hall!  ... and tried to put him back in.   Didn't work.  Instead, they adjusted and brought Roberts in.  He played well. 
I have ZERO PROBLEMS taking deep shots on short yardage situations.  Stretching the field like that is a huge part of this offense.  It's what keeps safeties honest & makes the run game work better.  Mason, while obviously hobbled, was still delivering the ball in catchable places for the most part.  If he got wild, then it would be best to bring in Shanbour... but he wasn't.
The 2-pt conversion was absolutely the right call there.
The kicks (both of them) were absolutely the right calls.  Poorly executed, but the right calls.
Plenty of blame to go around, and yes, the coaches deserve some, but "the loss" is not on them, it's on the team.

Poor, poor, Miners.   There is going to be a lot of frustration taken out on them next weekend.

• Thanks 1

No way I will blame this loss on the coaches.

I had no problem at all with the coaching, except for the last FG.  On 4th and very short, I thought we should have gone for it instead of kicking the long FG.   I think the odds of making the 4th down are just as good as the long FG.     And, even if we make the FG, that still left enough time on the clock for Tech to possibly get a FG of their own.    In college, 50 seconds is a lot of time when first downs stop the clock.

On the other hand, losing Easly and a gimpy Fine may have had something to do with us not going for it.    From what I have seen so far this year, Easly is the 1 back that we have that can grind out the short yards.    Smith and Torrey are fine backs.    But, they don't seem to be very good at short yardage.

I was really disappointed when we lined up for that last FG.   But,  I can't say it was a horrible decision.   

There were also some terrific play calls by the coaches that have been forgotten because we lost the game.

Crossing my fingers that Easly is not finished for the year.   He has been pretty special and that injury did not look good 😞

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Is there a win or loss that you cannot blame on the coaches?   The offensive line could not protect Fine and the running game was far from dominating particularly with Easly out. 

On the final drive I would have went for a first down instead of a field goal attempt of that distance.  However, with about 30 seconds left and a couple of yards to go, I can't really fault the decision.   

Take out Fine's sacks and we were 27 rushes for 163 yards (6.04 av) and a TD.  Smith only carried the ball 3 times, Torrey once, and Darden once.  What has happened to Evan Johnson?  Saw he was suited out but didn't see him play.

9 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Those who keep mentioning that the hype got to the team and they bought-in & didn't play like they should have because they got too full of themselves...  you're wrong.  I don't know what else to say.

The coaches put Cam Johnson in behind Kemon Hall.  That's how the depth chart shook out after Fall practice.   Come game time, Cam's not what we thought he was.  LATech found that out quickly, and picked on him to the tune of PI calls, 1st downs & TDs.  The coaches realized, OMG! We need Hall!  ... and tried to put him back in.   Didn't work.  Instead, they adjusted and brought Roberts in.  He played well. 
I have ZERO PROBLEMS taking deep shots on short yardage situations.  Stretching the field like that is a huge part of this offense.  It's what keeps safeties honest & makes the run game work better.  Mason, while obviously hobbled, was still delivering the ball in catchable places for the most part.  If he got wild, then it would be best to bring in Shanbour... but he wasn't.
 The 2-pt conversion was absolutely the right call there.
The kicks (both of them) were absolutely the right calls.  Poorly executed, but the right calls.
Plenty of blame to go around, and yes, the coaches deserve some, but "the loss" is not on them, it's on the team.

Poor, poor, Miners.   There is going to be a lot of frustration taken out on them next weekend.

Pretty much dead on. The one blunder I can't get past is Darden trying to field the punt inside the 10.