Name one regular season game more meaningful than this one

Harry

To me the biggest game I remember was in I believe 2001 when North Texas needed to go up to the Kibbie Dome and beat Idaho to go to their first bowl game this century.  I had been watching the Mean Green since 1986 when we were 1AA and bowl games were just pipe dreams.  I watched it at the Loophole I believe there in the square and they were giving out free beers with every touchdown.  We drank through their bottles and they began serving pitchers with plastic cups.  

It was a fun realization of going to a bowl game and the New Orleans Bowl for the very first time!

This one is big though.  Up there with Rice, Baylor, SMU, Nevada in the rain - getting that monkey off our back.  I would say UAB was also huge this year as the unknowns and mood of the base were awfully shaky just a few short weeks ago.

Beat the Runners!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I don't think the opponent tomorrow matters that much,  at this moment Rice and Louisiana Tech have conference wins so they would be more important. 

Florida Atlantic and Marshall are perfect with good overall records.

I am not sure why we are pumping up this game that much, I am more worried about this sorry roadrunner team playing dirty as usual while doing its best to take out our QB.  

Just now, KingDL1 said:

Or is it the best post of the year?  

I'll keep my thoughts to myself.  We won tonight, and I'm enjoying a beverage or two, see you fellas tomorrow at the game!

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I'll keep my thoughts to myself.  We won tonight, and I'm enjoying a beverage or two, see you fellas tomorrow at the game!

Enjoy, I think a few of us are just screwing around with how import this game is.

Congrats on the win! What did we win? North Texas or other? 

Stop by the tailgate have a ball.  

6 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Just about every game we play is as important or more!  This game is just a sorry Sun Belt 2.0 conference mate no more and probably less  nobody would miss them if they dropped football next year. 

SMU this year would have been great, but knocking off Iowa would have been freaking awesome. 

There is nothing in San Antonio that is important other than the Alamo

Alamo?  Is PeeWee Herman's bike still in its basement?🤔

Tony, I'm bringing my old UNT roommate to this  game & told him about your smorgasbord.

May we come? We'll pay.

GMG!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Of course, since you are so much older than me (LOL):shhhh:

but............ I've not seen too many Mean Green wins over the TU Golden Hurricane, drex.  

I don't think any of Fry's teams ever beat them, did they?  Many of us have called his teams 1975 win over a 6 & 5 SEC Tennessee Vols team as his biggest win, but our beating a NCAA Division 1 and 19'th ranked San Diego State Atzecs at Fouts Field in 1974 should not be forgotten.   We've not beaten a Top 25 team since best I recall. 

Other day I posted 4 of 6 Fry teams would have been bowl elgible if as many bowls were available back then, but another alum called me to correct that saying 5 of this 6 teams would have been because even in his 1'st season as HFC at UNT when we tied for the Mo' Valley Conference football championship. 

Others may not be aware, but drex was the UNT sports promotions man when we had our first "official" sellout at Fouts Field.

GMG!  

Yes, Hayden Fry never beat Tulsa while at NT, but he only played them twice.....the first two years he was the head coach.

I was in attendance at that first "official" sellout vs SFA in 1989.  I always point to this game (and this era) to make my point that, with proper promoting, and proper hiring of coaches, NT football can be sold to the students, city of Denton, and alumni. Because as much as many people on this board sneer at our 1-AA days, it was a time of some pretty great football.........and great promoting. Everyone who has stated that they kept away from NT football during the 1-AA days should be ashamed of themselves. Some great pure football, and some great individual efforts took place during that era. If you stayed away because we were 1-AA you would have missed a great recording setting performance by Rusty Hill (61 att./ 42comp)* and Marvin walker. (22 catches) in the 1982 Tulsa game.

One of my friends from Decatur (God rest his soul) used to teach, and for a while he coached. One of his coaching gigs was as an assistant on the Jacksboro team that won state in 1971. it was always his belief that the best HS football could be seen in 1-A and 2A (currently 3 & 4-A)  playoff football..  

I agree.

This record has since been broken by Daniel Meager vs SMU (64/46)

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

This game is big, but it’s not THAT big. Rice and UTSA Part I were way bigger. 

We just need to punch them in the throats. I don’t really understand why being 1-3 versus them is some decisive lead in the series, rivalries aren’t 50/50, but let’s beat the crap out of them to shut the fans up.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Agreed, I was gonna say the same thing 

The guys on that UTSA podcast (Jared I think) stated it better than me — the coaching futures of both Wilson and Littrell seem to be converging in this game today.  The winner will become the “darling” of G5 and the loser will be back to the drawing board.  But it is also more important for UNT for this reason -  we have one last shot today to impact the home attendance for the rest of the year.  If we deliver the students will be back.  If we lay an egg it’s not over but you seriously damage your attendance prospects.  I also think this is a huge impact game for recruiting.  UTSA has been killing it.. if we could beat Wilson it would aid our efforts to get the top recruits.  I believe if you put all of these factors together it makes this the most important regular season game we have seen.  GMG

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

The guys on that UTSA podcast (Jared I think) stated it better than me — the coaching futures of both Wilson and Littrell seem to be converging in this game today.  The winner will become the “darling” of G5 and the loser will be back to the drawing board.  But it is also more important for UNT for this reason -  we have one last shot today to impact the home attendance for the rest of the year.  If we deliver the students will be back.  If we lay an egg it’s not over but you seriously damage your attendance prospects.  I also think this is a huge impact game for recruiting.  UTSA has been killing it.. if we could beat Wilson it would aid our efforts to get the top recruits.  I believe if you put all of these factors together it makes this the most important regular season game we have seen.  GMG

Ditto.

Here's a photo of 2 familiar friends to many of us.  This was taken at last night's Hayden Fry shindig attended by very many people.  Coach Fry is looking chipper for 88 years old.   John said last evening was fantastic.  Many of the Mean Green players of the Fry era were there & will be at this evening's game with their Coach.  Coach Fry spoke for about 15 minutes &  covered many things. (Shoot!  I hope John doesn't mind that I shared this pic). :( 008.jpg.5ab5b4d0a583071b2e606791a871a683.jpg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

But it is also more important for UNT for this reason -  we have one last shot today to impact the home attendance for the rest of the year.  If we deliver the students will be back.  If we lay an egg it’s not over but you seriously damage your attendance prospects.

The same thing could be said about every home game.  If UAB would have blown us out, our attendance prospects the rest of the year would have been crippled.

Contrariwise, if we would have won the game against SMU, we would have had far better attendance at the UAB game and a sellout against UTSA might be realistic.

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

008.jpg.5ab5b4d0a583071b2e606791a871a683.jpg

Would be nice if John came back and supported UNT sports once again.  I think his self-imposed exile has gone on long enough and those in the Administration with which he disagreed so much are long gone.  I know he attended a game last year, but I mean really come back home.

15 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Would be nice if John came back and supported UNT sports once again.  I think his self-imposed exile has gone on long enough and those in the Administration with which he disagreed so much are long gone.  I know he attended a game last year, but I mean really come back home.

I agree, KRAM1.   

He has some things from the homefront that kept him from today's game.  Actually, he still follows almost all the sports programs at UNT.  In due time me'thinks he'll be back in person.

Most of my absence has been business related as you probably know.  I had this weekend off so I'm back acting like I'm a UNT college freshman all over again.  Was on campus the other day to pick up my tickets and toured campus. I was shocked by all I saw!  A good shock of course.

UNT and Denton were some of the happiest times in my life and I can't wait to be up there in just a few hours to reminisce and get all happy all over again.  See ya', Mark. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen