FOOTBALL North Texas Riding Mason Fine's Deep Ball To Historic Start

Harry

35 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

he has great hands and would love to see him more involved in the offense.

looking at the clip there was no one underneath and all receivers were down field.

Waaaaaay down field.

Edit:  Actually, I think Chumley was the underneath....LOL.

Edited by keith
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think Paul Johnson was the coach at the time, who is now at GTech.

True.  I was in the restroom at Fouts and a guy walked in with a Navy shirt that said, "Keep Your Hands Off Our Johnson."  It was rumored he was headed to Ga. Tech.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Are we looking at the best QB in UNT history? Hope so!

That's actually a high bar.  Steve Ramsey played seven years in the NFL, was never really successful there, but was a beast in college. 

Held multiple NCAA passing records, three time all conference (freshmen couldn't play varsity then), was chosen to go to the East-West Shrine game and the Hula Bowl (huge deal for college football players at the time). 

Ramsey still holds our all time passing TD record, with 69.  

Fine has done a good job this year, as mentioned elsewhere. One thing I noticed with the long completions is that the WR often has to break stride and slow down for the catch. He then gets tackled for a long gain. Really glad we are completing these now, but to me it indicates perhaps Fine should release the ball a little earlier. Our receivers have been getting behind the DBs and could go the distance if hit in stride.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/12/2017 at 5:46 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

A QB's height?  According to Ciri giant killer Doug Flutie was 5' 10", 180 pounds-- same as Mason Fine.  Isn't there such a thing as playing tall?

Are we getting some outstanding coaching with our offensive line or what?👍👍

GMG!

I'm not saying Fine isn't great, but the fact remains that height does affect most QBs abilities. Yes, Doug Flutie played great, but that was almost 30 years ago. Successful QBs that are not over 6' are rare that's why everyone has to hearken back to Flutie. I believe Mason is the real deal. Just wondering how Shanbour would look in a game with more than a couple of snaps. If nothing else, just to take my curiosity away. I hope they blow FAU out so we can see him play. I doubt if that will happen though because I don't see the defense holding any team for long.

Edited by Venson
  • Upvote 1

If Fine breaks all records in passing it will be because the coaching staff here has done what the coaching staffs did for "Johnny Football" and the TCU QB from two years ago. Their targets were superior receivers as well as superior athletes.

I'm starting to see the same thing here. Our receiving corp Is getting much better.....skills-wise as well as athletically. Our coaches now send in "packages" rather than just who is available. Speaking of this, what happened to our TE package Saturday night?

AND, Imagine how well Fine will do when he doesn't have to run for his life (or take a brutal beating) against strong defenses like UTSA.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

If Fine breaks all records in passing it will be because the coaching staff here has done what the coaching staffs did for "Johnny Football" and the TCU QB from two years ago. Their targets were superior receivers as well as superior athletes.

I'm starting to see the same thing here. Our receiving corp Is getting much better.....skills-wise as well as athletically. Our coaches now send in "packages" rather than just who is available. Speaking of this, what happened to our TE package Saturday night?

AND, Imagine how well Fine will do when he doesn't have to run for his life (or take a brutal beating) against strong defenses like UTSA.

I noticed the lack of TE involvement as well.  I have not gone back and watched it, but the coaches must have seen something on film that favored smaller, quicker WRs on the inside instead of using a bigger body in that spot.

28 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I noticed the lack of TE involvement as well.  I have not gone back and watched it, but the coaches must have seen something on film that favored smaller, quicker WRs on the inside instead of using a bigger body in that spot.

That's my assumption. But I was wondering if someone else had some better insight on the matter.

43 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

14 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

That's my assumption. But I was wondering if someone else had some better insight on the matter.

As I mentioned in another post, it looks to be that the linebackers for San Antonio Community College seem to be the prototypical Alabama type thumpers that excel in run stuffing/blitzing, but can be exposed in space. 

They were also blitzing damn near every play, and running a lot of hook zones with their DT/DE's to cover the space left by the backer, I like my chances of a guy like Lawrence or Darden against their front 7. Seems the coaches thought the same.

• Upvote 1