Critical Stretch of the Season

GMG_Dallas

It's going to be an interesting 3 weeks. Southern Miss gets 2 weeks to prepare for us. The week after our game, UTSA and Southern Miss play each other with UTSA coming off a bye and two weeks to prepare. The week after that, we play UTSA with two weeks to prepare for them.

In each game, the home team is the team who will have had two weeks to prepare. The next three weeks will either make or break this season. We need to come out at least 1-1 for a chance at finishing .500 half way through the season. Losing both games will surely sink our chances at challenging for the division while winning both games will put is in a great position to take the division.

09/30 UNT at USM (bye week 09/23)

10/07 USM at UTSA (bye week 09/30)

10/14 UTSA at UNT (bye week 10/07)

Other key game on 10/21 as LaTech hosts USM with LaTech coming off a bye. USM's conference scheduling looks rough for the next 4 weeks or so. State of the division should be pretty clear after 10/21.

Quick question for those who have been around, is it customary for the team coming off a bye to host that first game after the off week? Every CUSA game I look at where a team playing is coming off a bye, it's the home team that had 2 weeks to prepare.

• Upvote 2

Lets hope that USM overlooks us for UTSA..

My question is.. Has USM found a QB, and if they have is it the same kid as last year? if not is who is and when did they get to USM? 

Fine is playing at a way higher level than Morris did last year, and Fine played well in Iowa/SMU (at times) and I'll assume that USM defense isn't as great as either of those.. (no offense USM).. We just have to hope that ST can help us again like it did yesterday vs UAB

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I see 5 other games on the schedule that are more likely wins than either of those 2: FAU, ODU, UTEP, Army, and Rice.  So while I'd much prefer not to go 0-2 in those 2 games, I don't see it as "breaking" our season as far as hitting bowl eligibility.

FAU looks winnable, ODU i have no idea, UTEP we get a home (and its home-coming right?, so lets hope another big crowd) and then Rice.. Rice and UTEP may not have the same HC when the game is played compared to right now.. 

Army, It will be critical that we can keep up the offensive performance.. if we get up on them, it could be over quick..

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I see 5 other games on the schedule that are more likely wins than either of those 2: FAU, ODU, UTEP, Army, and Rice.  So while I'd much prefer not to go 0-2 in those 2 games, I don't see it as "breaking" our season as far as hitting bowl eligibility.

Agreed.  Texas Football magazine has us going 6-6 with 3 of the wins being the last three games of the season.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I thought we were trying to win conference championships, not just to become bowl eligible.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, keith said:

I thought we were trying to win conference championships, not just to become bowl eligible.   

From what I've seen from this team so far this season, I'd say that's being extremely optimistic.  They show some promise, but they're just not on par with LaTech.

But that is why I added the caveat, "as far as hitting bowl eligibility."