Crowd?

UNTLifer

3 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Excellent crowd in the Club level I thought. Better than last year. More came out to their seats, but still...way too many stay inside for good portions or all of the game. Their choice, of course, but sure wish they would come outside and make some noise.  Saw lots of "new" folks trying out their seats.  Their were at least 8 newbies in my section alone that I noticed.  

Thought crowd was OK for Lamar, but work to do.  That "work" starts at SMU next Saturday!

Awesome to hear the new members to the club level.

-----------------------------------

Would have liked seeing more of the Lamar fans at the game.. someone said a bunch had come up to get away from the storm.. would have been nice to give them free tickets.. that being said Lamar still had a better turn out than I had expected.

---------------------------

People are bringing up the whole Labor Day weekend, isn't this when the season normally starts? 

On 9/3/2017 at 9:48 AM, Snowy said:

In addition, Freshmen (and often Sophomores) almost ALWAYS go home during the Labor Day weekend. So, the student side was definitely smaller. I had less freshman come up to my tailgate than in years past. 

The reason I hate the "it's this holiday or that holiday" excuse is that at winning programs, family schedule their trip to include going to the game!

Thanksgiving weekend was never a problem for Texas-Texas A&M, OU-Nebraska/Okie Lite.  Auburn-Bama?  

Come on.  If we are winning, people find a way to get to a game - holiday or not.  They won't pack it in for "well, if we can just manage to beat UTEP, we'll be bowl eligible."     

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I fear the UAB game being a very poor showing. Late September games that are still hot and playing a team nobody cares about and won't bring more than 50 fans with them usually doesn't bode well here.

I hear you, but...let's say we do beat SMU, then lose to Iowa, as expected.  We are then 2-1.  That should excite those affiliated with the school.  If at that point, we can't excite the former students and alumni to beat the Lamar 19,000...

...at that point, you just throw your hands up and say to the coach, you gotta just keep winning, this year and next year and the next year...etc. 

• Upvote 2

Did not help our image to have a band that shows up in the attire of a Junior High band. Yes it was hot. How many other college bands did you see in shorts and t shirts? You think it's not hot for the players in pads, etc.? If UNT band plans to come to SMU dressed like Denton's Jr. High band I for one hope they stay home. I admire their spirit and enthusiasm, but this is on their leaders in the music dept. Either get them some lightweight summer, real uniforms or cut it down by half to 200 so they can look like a real D-1 college band.

• Upvote 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 8

4 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

Did not help our image to have a band that shows up in the attire of a Junior High band. Yes it was hot. How many other college bands did you see in shorts and t shirts? You think it's not hot for the players in pads, etc.? If UNT band plans to come to SMU dressed like Denton's Jr. High band I for one hope they stay home. I admire their spirit and enthusiasm, but this is on their leaders in the music dept. Either get them some lightweight summer, real uniforms or cut it down by half to 200 so they can look like a real D-1 college band.

I saw some band members on Twitter making fun of themselves and their "uniforms". Sounds like even they would rather not be wearing mismatched khakis and black socks.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

Exactly.  Can you imagine the bands at OU or Texas pulling that?

• Upvote 1

I thought the halftime show put on by the Green Brigade was absolutely horrible and an embarrassment. Yes, they are big in numbers, loud, and can play.  But the show was nothing. And what, two songs, plus the fight song?  WTF?  We can do so much better, but we don't.  Same crap year after year.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I thought the halftime show put on by the Green Brigade was absolutely horrible and an embarrassment. Yes, they are big in numbers, loud, and can play.  But the show was nothing. And what, two songs, plus the fight song?  WTF?  We can do so much better, but we don't.  Same crap year after year.

I've already conveyed my disappointment to the new head of the school of music. I sent him a list of my concerns last year before he took over. The results are that there is NOTHING CHANGED. Our Band is vastly underachieving as a football band, and as the (football) representative of one of the premier schools of music in the nation. I wish someone had captured on video the pathetic entrance the band made........which is unchanged from the last two or three years........PATHETIC. 

This bloated and unwieldy 400 member band is a perfect example of "bigger is not better".  The only reason I can think of to have this monstrosity is to fill up spaces on the  student side that otherwise wouldn't have been filled. And have more friends and family members come to the game to watch them perform. 

Two songs and a fight song? I totally agree. It's not as if they had to make time for the visitor's band. 

Please send your concerns to the Dean of the College of music.

John.Richmond@unt.edu

or this guy

Warren.Henry@unt.edu

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I'm not one for much band talk but yeah I brought my mom-in-law (first time visitor) and she commented about the short show, low quality.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I've already conveyed my disappointment to the new head of the school of music. I sent him a list of my concerns last year before he took over. The results are that there is NOTHING CHANGED. Our Band is vastly underachieving as a football band, and as the (football) representative of one of the premier schools of music in the nation. I wish someone had captured on video the pathetic entrance the band made........which is unchanged from the last two or three years........PATHETIC. 

This bloated and unwieldy 400 member band is a perfect example of "bigger is not better".  The only reason I can think of to have this monstrosity is to fill up spaces on the  student side that otherwise wouldn't have been filled. And have more friends and family members come to the game to watch them perform. 

Two songs and a fight song? I totally agree. It's not as if they had to make time for the visitor's band. 

John.Richmond@unt.edu

or this guy

Warren.Henry@unt.edu

I don't have a big beef with them running onto the field.  It's better than them strolling out onto the field into their spots.

Here are my annoyances:

- I HATE the bit they do late in the game where they start to play a song, stop, start it over again, stop in a different place, rinse and repeat.  They make a game out of it to see if someone doesn't stop.  I know someone has said this is a distraction weapon towards the other team, but then why do they do it when we're on offense.  It just seems like they are bored and doing bits instead of supporting the game.  

- I don't like the little dances and whatnot that the xylophone folks do.  Looks really childish.  I'd rather them wait patiently until their next playing part.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

On 9/4/2017 at 8:05 AM, 97and03 said:

Yes, but we are almost always on the road it seems. 

I don't recall but wasn't last years game vs SMU at home week 1 over labor day? 

13 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

John.Richmond@unt.edu

or this guy

Warren.Henry@unt.edu

I wasn't around for the band to play, but Thank you for directing people to the correct people to contact! This gets +1 just for that.... Voicing and giving the correct people input will lead to us getting a reply back as to why something was done or if anything gives them our input... I hope you hear back from either or both of them, and if you do please give us an update. 

18 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Well as for wearing uniforms, maybe not make them sit on a solar panel facing the sun for a late afternoon game.

6 pm is late afternoon? Every other school's band wears their uniforms during the heat. 4 examples posted above. The UT game was at 11 am, the OU game was at 2:30 pm. Both those bands spent the entire game in the sun, ours was only in the sun for a half.

2 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

Of course our band comes out wearing shorts and t-shirts again. I know that we have much bigger problems right now, but SMU wore their uniforms. UT had another 2:30 game, they wore their uniforms, but our snowflakes couldn't be bothered. Embarrassing.

SMU had that whole "best dressed band in the land" thing to live up to. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

Of course our band comes out wearing shorts and t-shirts again. I know that we have much bigger problems right now, but SMU wore their uniforms. UT had another 2:30 game, they wore their uniforms, but our snowflakes couldn't be bothered. Embarrassing.

I saw this on campus today while they were walking to the busses and this pisses me off so goddamn much. Why even march, just play a Lady Gaga cover and be done with it.

• Lovely Take 1