Daddy Briles Advisor At FAU

DeepGreen

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The FAU athletic department leadership is like the guy that finances way more house than he can afford for 30 years, finances a very expensive car over 7 years, contributes nothing to 401k/IRA, applies for any/every credit card he can get (interest be damned), and wonders why he's in such heavy debt after 3 years.

Yeah, but what a ride those 3 years will be...while other teams have nothing to show for being good and nice.

Would you take 8-4, 9-3, 8-4 right now if it meant you are guaranteed to lose the following 3 years.  If I were a UNT fan, I would roll those dice.  What do I have to lose?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Just now, GOMG2013 said:

Yeah, but what a ride those 3 years will be...while other teams have nothing to show for being good and nice.

Would you take 8-4, 9-3, 8-4 right now if it meant you are guaranteed to lose the following 3 years.  If I were a UNT fan, I would roll those dice.  What do I have to lose?  

Absolutely!

However, I WOULDN'T take those 3 winning years, if it meant the next 3 losing years (and likely many after) came with heavy sanctions from the NCAA over 'lack of institutional control'... like what FAU is staring down the barrel of.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

NCAA Sanctions?  Our clean record and good name?   

We would probably gain a ton of that media attention Baylor is basking in right now.  

Just now, GOMG2013 said:

This is kind of my point of view on it. 

People were quick to defend players getting arrested under McCarney. I remember, explicitly. But if someone else is doing it the same people are quick to throw shade. 

To your point, UNT has nothing to lose. What is the NCAA going to do? Take scholarships from us and force us into losing? We are already losing. We are on the wrong side of untouchable. Granted, that doesn't mean we should be bringing on absolute habitual offenders or violent people onto campus. Play your cards, look at all of the options, offer who you think can learn from their mistakes and be a better person. 

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Absolutely!

However, I WOULDN'T take those 3 winning years, if it meant the next 3 losing years (and likely many after) came with heavy sanctions from the NCAA over 'lack of institutional control'... like what FAU is staring down the barrel of.

Speculation. Nothing more. He is offering troubled athletes. A ton of programs do this every off season. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is kind of my point of view on it. 

People were quick to defend players getting arrested under McCarney. I remember, explicitly. But if someone else is doing it the same people are quick to throw shade. 

To your point, UNT has nothing to lose. What is the NCAA going to do? Take scholarships from us and force us into losing? We are already losing. We are on the wrong side of untouchable. Granted, that doesn't mean we should be bringing on absolute habitual offenders or violent people onto campus. Play your cards, look at all of the options, offer who you think can learn from their mistakes and be a better person. 

Speculation. Nothing more. He is offering troubled athletes. A ton of programs do this every off season. 

Did you know UNT is one of only a handful of schools left to never have NCAA sanctions handed down on them?

I'd like to keep it that way.   Winning =/= cheating.  You can win the right way.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

NCAA Sanctions?  Our clean record and good name?   

We would probably gain a ton of that media attention Baylor is basking in right now.  

And Baylor is still getting recruits and they are still going to win games.  Not top 10, but they could hang around the top 20 soon.  

Unless there is a death penalty, schools usually rebound from those weak sanctions.  Recruits are going to have something to remember.  Those 3 good years...then the NCAA came and hated on the school, but now we are back.  That sounds a lot better than being clean, but having years and years of incompetence and bad hires as a reason for losing.

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Did you know UNT is one of only a handful of schools left to never have NCAA sanctions handed down on them?

I'd like to keep it that way.   Winning =/= cheating.  You can win the right way.

Interesting take.

Most teams have sanctions against them at some point, and most programs win at some point. The real question is, out of the teams that have never had sanctions, have any of them ever won consistently? I would bet not.

• Upvote 1

If you are not testing the boundary of the rules, then someone is blowing by you.  No different than an innovative offense or defense that pushes the rules on the field.  Picks, rubs, chop blocks, no huddle, fake injury to stop the clock, etc...

If you think the top programs (at any level) are squeaky clean compared to their peers, then I have a bridge that I would like to sell you.

45 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

FAU is on the list of FBS schools to have never received sanctions. 

Good luck with that, fellas. 

Edit:  List in link is as of 2011. 

And Stanford and Boise state are the only two on that list that have been consistently successful. 

Goes to show it's near impossible to achieve sustained success without doing something that's frowned upon. That's a 1.5% chance in FBS schools.

If that's the case, I can see why UTSA and FAU hired who they did.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

And for the record, no one said blatantly cheat to get ahead.  FAU is picking up some guys with questionable character, but that's not against NCAA rules. Some may have previously broken rules or laws and it may turn out to be a waste of time, but nothing Kiffin has had reported so far will get sanctions...but it could get some wins though...and if it does, it will be a story about how he straightened those players out.

• Lovely Take 1

19 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

And for the record, no one said blatantly cheat to get ahead.  FAU is picking up some guys with questionable character, but that's not against NCAA rules. Some may have previously broken rules or laws and it may turn out to be a waste of time, but nothing Kiffin has had reported so far will get sanctions...but it could get some wins though...and if it does, it will be a story about how he straightened those players out.

And it has been said (not only of players, but coaches) that a leopard cannot change his spots.
The players of questionable character are only a part of the equation of what would get that program in trouble.

10 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Whether testing the limits of the NCAA rules is smart or not, we will never test them. We don't have the mindset to win at the sport like FAU or UTSA decided they wanted to do when they started their programs up. 

2 things here.
1. "...we will never test them."   GOOD!
2. "...like FAU or UTSA..."   UTSA brought on a shaky assistant coach from Bama.  That's about the extent of 'risk' they've taken.   FAU is associating themselves with all kinds of question marks.    Very different scenarios.

• Upvote 4