Breaking! Bob stoops is retiring.

There is absolutely no way Seth will leave to be the OC at Oklahoma.  Riley is going to be the head coach and still call the offensive plays.  Seth has always called plays as an offensive coordinator so it would be a huge step back for him and set his career back years.  

In fact, you can make the case Seth is a better choice for their head coaching positions than Lincoln considering he at least has one year of head coaching experience. 

Edited by NorthTexan95

10 hours ago, All About UNT said:

ya know I don't have a dog in the fight but everything about Manziel and his family's personalities is what caused so many to root against him.  He was the epitome of cocky and his family is known in East Texas as being akin to mafia.  Comparing him with Mayfield is quite a stretch.  Not defending what Mayfield did with the police but Johnny "F*cking" Football was not really good at winning people over that weren't obsessed with the color maroon. 

If you think Mayfield is anything but cocky, I've got some property for sale. Mayfield and his father's jackassery is fairly well known.

BakerMayfield/GaryPatterson

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

I would think SL ego would take a beating going from HC to OC. Then have to always be looking over his shoulder at Riley to get a ok to call plays....I don't  see it happening. WB and SL probably  knew  Bob was leaving thus new contract to keep SL focused on NT.

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

If you think Mayfield is anything but cocky, I've got some property for sale. Mayfield and his father's jackassery is fairly well known.

BakerMayfield/GaryPatterson

Man, that's a great and fascinating story about Mayfield that I had never heard before. It makes me realize now why Kingsbury wouldn't ever put him on scholarship--the combo of dad and son being attitudinal makes this all the more clear why he was basically told to look somewhere else for a scholarship after starting at Tech as a freshman walk-on.

• Upvote 1

what if.....SL builds a continuously winning program here at good old UNT.  We keep bumping his salary incrementally with our success.  He starts making $1.5 - $2M as a HC in Denton.  Wins recruiting battle in C-USA/G-5 land.....  Would he consider making UNT a career...kind of like Bowden did at Fla. St.  They were a 2nd tier school when he took over.  Spend the next 30 years here and build a legacy for himself.  I would like to think this is possible.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

Yeah i'm here to say i'm glad Bob Stoops is gone. One less coach willing to red shirt a kid to "penalize him" after witnessing that video. That's just the tip of the ice burg. Good riddance.

Tip of the iceberg?  Sheesh.  The book on Stoops at OU has been out for a long time. 

This is a list compile before the 2015 season.   So, this is OU from about 2009-kickoff 2015. 

In the Top Five you've got not just Stoops' OU, but two schools - Washington State (Leach) and Texas A&M (Sumlin) - with head coaches who once were on Stoops' coaching staff!  They learned from the master - and outdid him!

That OU is dirty is no great secret.  Never has been.  The years they were clean, they hated the coaches, Gary Gibbs and John Blake.  OU and its meth-infested, tooth-challenged fan base want to win, and don't care who represents them on the field...or what they do off the field:

Mike-Rosenberg-580-17.jpg

Also, as far as the list goes...has any school gotten less out of their criminals on the field than Iowa State?  I mean, they were one arrest behind OU at the time of this list, yet nowhere near challenging for the Big 12 title.

By the way, this list obviously came out before all of the Baylor stuff really broke.  Otherwise...Stoops' OU might fall out of the Top Five and just be the school with the sixth most arrests. 

Baylor and Briles really rallied to surpass everyone in as short a span as they did.  And, given the company, that is really saying something about Briles and Baylor.

(Just as an aside...this arrest list is just another place where Stoops was getting the better of Texas and Oklahoma State.  They didn't beat Stoops' players on the field very often...and, couldn't keep up with them off the field either.  So..."Boomer Sooner" one more time for Head Coach/Warden/Parole Officer Bobby Stoops?)

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox

50 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

what if.....SL builds a continuously winning program here at good old UNT.  We keep bumping his salary incrementally with our success.  He starts making $1.5 - $2M as a HC in Denton.  Wins recruiting battle in C-USA/G-5 land.....  Would he consider making UNT a career...kind of like Bowden did at Fla. St.  They were a 2nd tier school when he took over.  Spend the next 30 years here and build a legacy for himself.  I would like to think this is possible.

This is obviously everyone's dream scenario, but one we wouldn't expect based on Littrell's past 6 years of moving around to the next best thing.

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Man, that's a great and fascinating story about Mayfield that I had never heard before. It makes me realize now why Kingsbury wouldn't ever put him on scholarship--the combo of dad and son being attitudinal makes this all the more clear why he was basically told to look somewhere else for a scholarship after starting at Tech as a freshman walk-on.

Mayfield is a fraud.  Without Perine, Mixon, Sterling Shepherd, and Westbrook, he doesn't have a pot to p*ss in.  F'ing middle aged Fayetteville cops ran him down easily enough. 

I honestly don't know how the Fayetteville cops didn't win an ESPY for that takedown.  It was great!

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

promo313459673.jpg?quality=85&strip=all

image1742994_web1_1742994-72cbe43b593e41

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4309250/amp/Dash-cam-footage-shows-cops-sack-Oklahoma-quarterback.html

""The video ends with some of the officers mocking Mayfield after learning he played for Oklahoma. 

'By the way he's the quarterback for OU,' an officer told his colleague.

'He is... Is he really? He's not very fast.'""

Edited by Cr1028

3 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Tip of the iceberg?  Sheesh.  The book on Stoops at OU has been out for a long time. 

This is a list compile before the 2015 season.   So, this is OU from about 2009-kickoff 2015. 

In the Top Five you've got not just Stoops' OU, but two schools - Washington State (Leach) and Texas A&M (Sumlin) - with head coaches who once were on Stoops' coaching staff!  They learned from the master - and outdid him!

That OU is dirty is no great secret.  Never has been.  The years they were clean, they hated the coaches, Gary Gibbs and John Blake.  OU and its meth-infested, tooth-challenged fan base want to win, and don't care who represents them on the field...or what they do off the field:

Mike-Rosenberg-580-17.jpg

Also, as far as the list goes...has any school gotten less out of their criminals on the field than Iowa State?  I mean, they were one arrest behind OU at the time of this list, yet nowhere near challenging for the Big 12 title.

By the way, this list obviously came out before all of the Baylor stuff really broke.  Otherwise...Stoops' OU might fall out of the Top Five and just be the school with the sixth most arrests. 

Baylor and Briles really rallied to surpass everyone in as short a span as they did.  And, given the company, that is really saying something about Briles and Baylor.

(Just as an aside...this arrest list is just another place where Stoops was getting the better of Texas and Oklahoma State.  They didn't beat Stoops' players on the field very often...and, couldn't keep up with them off the field either.  So..."Boomer Sooner" one more time for Head Coach/Warden/Parole Officer Bobby Stoops?)

Helps when Austin PD turns things over so UT can handle it "in the family"

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

If you mean in the same way that Herman was a "Cougar for life", then yes.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I think its possible, because with OU deciding to go with Riley it doesn't seem likely that they are likely to move on. But again that is up to Riley and the success that he has at OU. SL is from OK and his family only lives something like 3 hours away. Also his kids are close to starting school, I would think as well. I have no idea where SL lives but there are not many better places to rise a family outside of DFW. 

UNT has shown SL that they will spend money as far, when it comes to redoing his contract, to paying GMAC in basketball, and UNT showing a commitment with an IPF on the way (rumored but still no announcement). The AD office also re-did and gave out bonuses to the assistant coaches as well. SL seems to have the program on the right tracks from what everyone keeps saying outside of Denton as well. HS Coaches have already talked about how great it is to be around this staff, and now its just up to winning. If UNT can have a successful season next year it will go a long way in changing the outlook of the school/ program. 

Lets just hope that SL becomes our Gary Patterson.. Fingers crossed

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

There has not been an official announcement, but WB has all but said that it is a done deal. 

Just waiting on a big donor (7 figure) is what WB said at the Plano Coaches' Caravan.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Without having read some of the later replies, BTG brings up a great point...they would have to REALLY want Seth to pay the buyout plus a pay increase...and as much as Seth loves OU, they would have to give him a considerable pay jump to get him to take a step down in coaching hierarchy. Without a big jump in pay, I don't see him leaving for anything other than a higher end HC position.

The question is, why would they want Littrell now?  We had the same number of TD passes in the 2016 regular season as we did in 2015.  Nothing earth-shattering happened with the offense that would draw OU's attention (or, anyone else on that level) to put him at OC.

We won five games - three when Jeffrey Wilson bailed out the offense in the second half of games.  You think OU would be sniffing around the door for that?

So, relax.  He'll be here.  The only way he leaves is if we do have a couple of winning seasons in a row, then a Tulsa/San Diego State-type program opens up. 

If we fart around at three to five wins, year after year, we will simply eat a very expensive contract at some point.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 6/12/2017 at 0:34 PM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

The question is, why would they want Littrell now?  We had the same number of TD passes in the 2016 regular season as we did in 2015.  Nothing earth-shattering happened with the offense that would draw OU's attention (or, anyone else on that level) to put him at OC.

We won five games - three when Jeffrey Wilson bailed out the offense in the second half of games.  You think OU would be sniffing around the door for that?

So, relax.  He'll be here.  The only way he leaves is if we do have a couple of winning seasons in a row, then a Tulsa/San Diego State-type program opens up. 

If we fart around at three to five wins, year after year, we will simply eat a very expensive contract at some point.

You really think he would leave for a Tulsa or SDSU? Unless the pay increase was huge...I wouldn't expect him to uproot his family again for basically a half step up. Tulsa is still close to home, for sure, but if he's doing well here, I would expect that he would hold out for a P5 job...and only if the pay and situation were awesome. A couple hundred grand more going into a HC position where he's essentially on the hot seat from year one could be counterproductive in the long run...and walking away from success with us for a MWC or AAC job that may or may not work out as well is similarly risky.

Of course, this is still all cart-before-the-horse discussion, because he has to do well for a couple of years here for any of that to be feasible anyway. But even so...I really don't see him leaving for anything other than a major conference...or hopefully he is the one who helps us turn the corner, brings in tons of revenue, and gets us into one of the big conferences. Big dream, for sure...but it's the same one we've always had. So we keep hoping the new guy could be the one to get us there.

7 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

You really think he would leave for a Tulsa or SDSU? Unless the pay increase was huge...I wouldn't expect him to uproot his family again for basically a half step up.

I believe he plans to stay here for a while. But, life happens. No one knows what the future brings. It's not just a function of money but also exactly what the offer is (school, position, money) and what's happening with his family at the time. Being a football coach is a nomadic profession, but a coaches personal and family life does play a factor. 

Let just hope, as another post noted, that he is our version of Coach Patterson.  TCU went through some pretty lean years when he got there.  Low turn-out for games.  Just started winning, and BANG.....he is still there, and TCU is a highly relevant program......  Simple.....

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

I believe he plans to stay here for a while. But, life happens. No one knows what the future brings. It's not just a function of money but also exactly what the offer is (school, position, money) and what's happening with his family at the time. Being a football coach is a nomadic profession, but a coaches personal and family life does play a factor. 

Coaches are hired to get fired....or enticed to another position...  Let's hope we have a keeper...