So who got the best transfer QB in C-USA this year?

Harry

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Cause whoever did has the best shot of winning the conference and having a successful season.  Will it be the standard of La. Tech, WKU...?  Who wins the battle?

I have to disagree with this assessment.

• Upvote 1

I think the jury is out currently through spring. Isadore is very intriguing to me. I really hope he's able to push for the starting job, because I'm growing increasingly concerned that 5 wins might be Fine's ceiling. Unless he drastically improves his inconsistencies and issues

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Just now, MGNation92 said:

I think the jury is out currently through spring. Isadore is very intriguing to me. I really hope he's able to push for the starting job, because I'm growing increasingly concerned that 5 wins might be Fine's ceiling. Unless he drastically improves his inconsistencies and issues

Legit concern.  Players usually never improve from their true freshman year.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Legit concern.  Players usually never improve from their true freshman year.

5'9 170 lbs QB's that can't see over their lineman and stare down receivers typically don't excel. Sarcasm doesn't make our QB situation any better, and from what I saw last year, Morris had better stats in less games, and two other QB's, including a true freshman, looked better than he did this spring. 

I'm rooting for Fine as much as the next guy, but I just don't see it as of right now

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Cause whoever did has the best shot of winning the conference and having a successful season.  Will it be the standard of La. Tech, WKU...?  Who wins the battle?

@Harry, for clarification, are you including JUCO transfers as well?  I was thinking D1 or grad transfers when I posted my comment above.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

@Harry, for clarification, are you including JUCO transfers as well?  I was thinking D1 or grad transfers when I posted my comment above.

Yes all transfers.  It is not spoken about much but typically in this conference the best teams are the ones who land the best transfer players in my opinion and it gives them an advantage.   For example QB Jeff Driscoll at La Tech transferred from Florida.  I also think this is a year in which we could use an insurance policy.

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes all transfers.  It is not spoken about much but typically in this conference the best teams are the ones who land the best transfer players in my opinion and it gives them an advantage.   For example QB Jeff Driscoll at La Tech transferred from Florida.  I also think this is a year in which we could use an insurance policy.

Not to nitpick, but *Driskel. 

But to answer your question, who knows. Only time will truly tell. I personally think much like @MGNation92 does on this topic. Fine is exactly what his last name is, Fine. The adjective fine is not going to get us to a CUSA-W crown. It will not win us the CUSA champ. The person Fine is only going to take us so far. And like what was said earlier in this thread, I kind of think he peaked. His ceiling was never really that high to begin with to be brutally honest. And unfortunately, I think he already hit it. He's undersized, lacks arm strength, hesitant, skittish feet, etc. I am not trying to be a know it all with buzz words nor am I trying to belittle the guy. I am just typing out what I saw last season. 

Best case scenario (IMO) - Isadoe is what we hope he is and he comes into Fall camp with a strong summer and a great grasp on the playbook. He rips the job away from Fine during camp. Fine backs up and Pearson takes a RS. 

Next case scenario - Start Fine in the season opener and rotate in and out QB2 and hope that one of them kind of separates himself during live game action. 

A pleasantly surprising scenario (and possible one) - Fine gets better throughout the summer and locks in to re-win the job during camp. Goes on to throw 2 bills a game throughout the season and a 2-1 TD ratio. We are a competitive team in CUSA. 

Ultimately, I really don't know. I think I don't know because I truly don't know what we are getting in Isadore. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not to nitpick, but *Driskel. 

But to answer your question, who knows. Only time will truly tell. I personally think much like @MGNation92 does on this topic. Fine is exactly what his last name is, Fine. The adjective fine is not going to get us to a CUSA-W crown. It will not win us the CUSA champ. The person Fine is only going to take us so far. And like what was said earlier in this thread, I kind of think he peaked. His ceiling was never really that high to begin with to be brutally honest. And unfortunately, I think he already hit it. He's undersized, lacks arm strength, hesitant, skittish feet, etc. I am not trying to be a know it all with buzz words nor am I trying to belittle the guy. I am just typing out what I saw last season. 

Best case scenario (IMO) - Isadoe is what we hope he is and he comes into Fall camp with a strong summer and a great grasp on the playbook. He rips the job away from Fine during camp. Fine backs up and Pearson takes a RS. 

Next case scenario - Start Fine in the season opener and rotate in and out QB2 and hope that one of them kind of separates himself during live game action. 

A pleasantly surprising scenario (and possible one) - Fine gets better throughout the summer and locks in to re-win the job during camp. Goes on to throw 2 bills a game throughout the season and a 2-1 TD ratio. We are a competitive team in CUSA. 

Ultimately, I really don't know. I think I don't know because I truly don't know what we are getting in Isadore. 

I would love to see a Fine/Isadore in starter/back-up role in either order they play out.  RS Cade, and have him come on strong the following year to be a 4 yr starter...  Either that, of Fine explodes and holds the starting position for 4 yrs...injury free....  Stability at QB for the next couple of years is what I would like....

• Upvote 1

It was nice to see a Qb stand in the pocket as Alex did. We win the bowl game and he would of been MVP! We saw growing pains with Fine but more important we saw it with the OC! We all know what we have with Fine now let's see a game plan to complement his talents! GMG 

• Upvote 2

No one that I know is throwing in the towel on Fine.  It's more that his injury coupled with the lack of experience on the o-line makes the backup QB position very critical to continuing the upward trend in football.  Look how important Alec was last season. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

No one that I know is throwing in the towel on Fine.  It's more that his injury coupled with the lack of experience on the o-line makes the backup QB position very critical to continuing the upward trend in football.  Look how important Alec was last season. 

Our defense (especially front 7) is going to be the make-or-breaker of whoever is at the helm. They (the starting QB) will have to overcome the deficiencies on defense and offensive line. 

That's a lot to ask of the options we have at QB.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Harry said:

You're right about the situation. Unless our O-line situation gets much better, any QB that starts, or takes over after an injury, is going to have to be as mobile as Fine and be able to throw accurately on the run.......or have the ability to get rid of the ball quickly. They will also have to be smart and not be rattled by defenses throwing up new coverages and/or blitz packages. Right now, that describes both Fine and Shanbour.

Pearson will get there, but not this year.

Isadore has a strong arm, and possibly (after full rehab) a good set of wheels. But we don't know how accurate he is at throwing on the run, or how quickly he can get rid of the ball, or recognize coverages. From my observation of him during spring practices, he seemed like a very impressive physical specimen, but he wasn't the most attentive football student when he wasn't actually handling the ball. He seemed more interested in joking around with his team mates. I hope he is not like D. Williams, who thought that free lancing with his legs (like he did in High School) would consistently get him out of tight situations at the D-1 level. And not grow mentally and emotionally in his position.

It'll be interesting to see how things go in fall practice........as well as this summer.  Because someone needs to continue to grow, and someone needs to catch up......a lot.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

While I agree with the concerns regarding Fine's overall talent and ceiling level, you can't disregard the intangibles he brings to the table.  He may not be the most talented (there's a reason we were the only D-1 school to offer him) but he is a leader who understands the game of football.  From listening to him speak, he has an insanely square head on his shoulders and is focused one thing and one thing only, winning football games.  There was a certain #11 that played quarterback here a few years back that wasn't the most talented either but possessed the right leadership skills for the position.  Fine might not be the most talented but he is by far better than what we've had in many years.  

Edited by StealthEagle84
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry said:

He's 6-5 so that doesn't hurt.

He is a good young man, and I didn't mean any disrespect from my earlier comments, but I saw him play a little in high school.  He was good at the TAPS level, but I never watched him and thought "D1 Player."