From the Desk of Wren Baker

Cerebus

Just now, KRAM1 said:

Please tell us all how to word a layoff announcement that would give employees "warm fuzzies".  I have had to create such announcements and then announce them, and try as I may have, not once did I soon after see an improvement in morale.  I would love to know how to have done it so to have improved morale.  We can all benefit here if you would let us know.  Perhaps there is someone on this board who is either having to craft such a notice or is currently under such a notice at their place of employment. Seriously, if you know how to do it let us know. In my experience, at the very least it creates uncertainty and angst within the ranks of the entire staff.  I wish I had know that it was "all in the wording".  I might have done better.  In your experience, how did you word it?

Wren is shaking up the AD.

Such and such is leaving to pursue other interests! 

@KRAM1 I would have thought as a bank pres you might have had to spin something, So in your vast experience you never had to fire a non-performer employee and announce to the rest of the world with a positive spin? So So is leaving for other opportunities? Hummm

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The hate and anger you have are sad. 

Awe, how cute. Someone who doesn't know me using buzz words to pigeonhole me. 

Wren Baker was perfectly willing to let men's basketball go 0-18 in conference just so he didn't have to make a semi-hard decision to fire a guy that should have been fired 4 years ago. And you think he is going to clean up the mess that is the worst AD in America? 

Hide and watch. 

Oh, and get it right. It's much more bemusement at this point watching the same thing happen all over again and watching fans react in the same way as they did before. You think the outcome will be different? Lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

Just now, KingDL1 said:

@KRAM1 I would have thought as a bank pres you might have had to spin something, So in your vast experience you never had to fire a non-performer employee and announce to the rest of the world with a positive spin? So So is leaving for other opportunities? Hummm

But how do you tell everyone that you're "trimming the fat from the organization" and that it's possible someone you know might not be working for the company, especially if that person possibly getting the ax is you? You're talking about Wren making a very public announcement that there's going to be staffing changes which means some people are going to lose their jobs.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Many times, but you were mentioning layoffs...not individual partings.  Hmmmmmm.  Big big difference.  And, just FYI... never actually "fired" anyone...found a way to "help" my under achievers find employment elsewhere.  When you set expectations and review those expectations on a regular basis...my direct reports were reviewed against their goals quarterly....you generally, in my experience, don't have to fire anyone.  They leave on their own. Which, of course, generally, improves morale.  Everyone knows who is underperforming or who just doesn't fit.

When announcing layoffs, it is an entirely different matter...never found a way to improve morale by announcing that we were going to be cutting staff by say 10%.  I am looking for how you did that by wording it properly. Hmmmmm.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

abe-simpson-gif.gif

Going back to the Sushi thread.

Dearest Benford, you must leave us. Why, I cannot say. Where, you cannot know. How you will get there, we haven't decided yet. But one thing I can tell you, any time I hear the wind blow it will whisper the name "Benford". And so let us part with a love that will echo through the ages.

---Woodrow (a.k.a.: Wren)

P.S.: I am gay. 

3 minutes ago, wardly said:

I asked this question under GOLF but got no answer. We built  a practice facility at Trophy Club, but Wren refers to one at Maridoe Golf Club . Whats up?

No ... did not build one at Trophy Club.  We're going to, but a new manager came in at trophy club and charged up a lot of the "deal", so the other club stepped up and it was built elsewhere for less money and with an even better facility and access for the golf team.  Pretty sweet deal for our program in the end.

6 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Dearest Benford, you must leave us. Why, I cannot say. Where, you cannot know. How you will get there, we haven't decided yet. But one thing I can tell you, any time I hear the wind blow it will whisper the name "Benford". And so let us part with a love that will echo through the ages.

---Woodrow (a.k.a.: Wren)

P.S.: I am gay. 

Yep...every time I hear a certain type of wind I think of someone too!  Now, back to the sushi thread we go!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Many times, but you were mentioning layoffs...not individual partings.  Hmmmmmm.  Big big difference.  And, just FYI... never actually "fired" anyone...found a way to "help" my under achievers find employment elsewhere.  When you set expectations and review those expectations on a regular basis...my direct reports were reviewed against their goals quarterly....you generally, in my experience, don't have to fire anyone.  They leave on their own. Which, of course, generally, improves morale.  Everyone knows who is underperforming or who just doesn't fit.

When announcing layoffs, it is an entirely different matter...never found a way to improve morale by announcing that we were going to be cutting staff by say 10%.  I am looking for how you did that by wording it properly. Hmmmmm.

The absolute worst way to find out there's going to be layoffs is through a press release. It destroys trust between staff and management, thus negatively affecting morale.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Something tells me I'd hate for you to be my boss. I'd likely welcome getting fired if it meant not having to work for you any longer.

Can't change the stripes on a zebra.

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

See, you can personally attack me like this all day long and the mods won't do one thing about it. That banner still burns your ass, doesn't it? Your poor little buddy had to go into the dead fish business. 

If you worked for me, your sucking my ass would get you no where. It would be time that you weren't doing your job. Something tells me you are very skilled in this department. Your lack of production would get you fired. Lol. 

I reported your post. I expect nothing to be done because I am fair game. Hell, I'll probably get banned for this response. 

Seriously.  He stated he would hate for you to be his boss.  That's a personal attack?

Don't you think  your "ass sucking" comment qualifies a tad bit higher up the personal attack scale?

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Can't change the stripes on a zebra.

Seriously.  He stated he would hate for you to be his boss.  That's a personal attack?

Don't you think  your "ass sucking" comment qualifies a tad bit higher up the personal attack scale?

90 is like DeMarcus Cousins of this board.  He whines and bitches and complains about everything and it is everybody else's fault....but cannot understand why he gets T'd up so quickly.  Let's trade him to UTSA

Just now, MeanGreen_MBA said:

90 is like DeMarcus Cousins of this board.  He whines and bitches and complains about everything and it is everybody else's fault....but cannot understand why he gets T'd up so quickly.  Let's trade him to UTSA

better yet....SMU.  He was and is SO wrong on this matter...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

13 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

The absolute worst way to find out there's going to be layoffs is through a press release. It destroys trust between staff and management, thus negatively affecting morale.

In what world do you think that Benford does not know he is fired already? There are a few more, not layoffs, and maybe a soft landing is the approach.

This went out to all of the AD's customers. I cannot recall any examples where layoffs were announced to customers prior to the event. Usually you make your changes and then explain them to your customer base. Besides, I don't think that you will see any mass firings, mostly one off people "leaving" on their own in the coming months. Making mass changes in an organization this small can lead to big issues. Too many want overnight change and the problems are just too big for that. WB shouldn't be on a long leash, but the one that some seem to have him on is far too short.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

better yet....SMU.  He was and is SO wrong on this matter...

I may just go myself. I'm buying TCU basketball season tickets next year. Unlike so many in this fan base, they care about winning and losing.

And here is a hint. Prepare to be underwhelmed by this basketball hire. Then again, underwhelmed is fine wth you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

Just now, KingDL1 said:

In what world do you think that Benford does not know he is fired already? There are a few more, not layoffs, and maybe a soft landing is the approach.

No one from the university has publicly stated he's not coming back though. That's the difference. Benford knows he's done because his win/loss record speaks for itself. The reduction in attendance isn't winning him any favors either.

And there still may be some staff changes but Wren won't go out and publicly state that he's looking to "clean house". You will likely see a person leave here and there soon now that our athletic season is starting to wind down.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, forevereagle said:

This went out to all of the AD's customers. I cannot recall any examples where layoffs were announced to customers prior to the event. Usually you make your changes and then explain them to your customer base. Besides, I don't think that you will see any mass firings, mostly one off people "leaving" on their own in the coming months. Making mass changes in an organization this small can lead to big issues. Too many want overnight change and the problems are just too big for that. WB shouldn't be on a long leash, but the one that some seem to have him on is far too short.

You won't see changes because the good ole boy, suck ass to keep your job system is alive and well in Denton, Texas. 

Any university that took athletics seriously would have fixed this mess years ago. 

Same ole same ole all the time at UNT.

• Downvote 9

Just now, UNT90 said:

You won't see changes because the good ole boy, suck ass to keep your job system is alive and well in Denton, Texas. 

Any university that took athletics seriously would have fixed this mess years ago. 

Same ole same ole all the time at UNT.

If you are so pissed off that you are talking about never supporting the program again and supporting other universities, why are you here?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Just now, forevereagle said:

If you are so pissed off that you are talking about never supporting the program again and supporting other universities, why are you here?

THats a good question. I'll never support basketball again. I still have football season tickets for now. 

Maybe I'll just post to say i told you so and to piss you off. Lol

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

No one from the university has publicly stated he's not coming back though. That's the difference. Benford knows he's done because his win/loss record speaks for itself. The reduction in attendance isn't winning him any favors either.

And there still may be some staff changes but Wren won't go out and publicly state that he's looking to "clean house". You will likely see a person leave here and there soon now that our athletic season is starting to wind down.

I wanted hints, I want change. I really have not seen it yet and it is bothering me. 

I wanted the house cleaned when it should of, when Wren started, not this slow pulling teeth pain we are going through now. Benford should have been gone 6 weeks ago at the very least. 

Just now, KingDL1 said:

I wanted hints, I want change. I really have not seen it yet and it is bothering me. 

I wanted the house cleaned when it should of, when Wren started, not this slow pulling teeth pain we are going through now. Benford should have been gone 6 weeks ago at the very least. 

Coming out with the "fire all the people" guns ablazing is not a good way to gain the trust of those who report to you. If you're fine with a completely dysfunctional department that you are constantly having to back and clean up behind then by all means, clean house and suffer through all the problems you created.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Coming out with the "fire all the people" guns ablazing is not a good way to gain the trust of those who report to you. If you're fine with a completely dysfunctional department that you are constantly having to back and clean up behind then by all means, clean house and suffer through all the problems you created.

Funny, because that's what the UNT AD is RIGHT NOW.

• Downvote 5