Compare Fine to Mullen Frosh year.....

MeanGreen_MBA

7 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

and....other than WKU, not so much.  Fine had a PWO to OU.  Fine had better Frosh stats than Mullen

While he did have a good year, the stats were highly impacted with garbage time stats... yes he played well, but he didn't do much to lock up the job for next season. We all love the kid, but he needs to improve a lot and some of that is on the WR and OL but some is also on him.. Throw the ball away and keep it at 2nd and 10.. not 2nd and 16 because of a sack.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

While he did have a good year, the stats were highly impacted with garbage time stats... yes he played well, but he didn't do much to lock up the job for next season. We all love the kid, but he needs to improve a lot and some of that is on the WR and OL but some is also on him.. Throw the ball away and keep it at 2nd and 10.. not 2nd and 16 because of a sack.

Nice feedback...yes

44 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Stop using logic. Some people have an agenda.

ETA: I am not advocating one QB over any other. I want the best player/s on the field. PERIOD. Seth Littrell has shown the same desire. The bottom line is winning. THAT is all that matters. If Fine is the best then so be it.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I like Fine alot, but his limitations showed up last year. He has a chance to grow and get much better but I'm happy with the 2 guys we have in to compete. If Isadora beats him in camp, Fine should sit and continue to develop. Can Fine be redshirted or did we burn his last year?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

These are all things that I would expect a freshman to improve on over his first full offseason.
He took some terrible sacks.

3 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

I like Fine alot, but his limitations showed up last year. He has a chance to grow and get much better but I'm happy with the 2 guys we have in to compete. If Isadora beats him in camp, Fine should sit and continue to develop. Can Fine be redshirted or did we burn his last year?

You have 5 years to play 4.   You can redshirt anywhere in there.

21 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

If Isadora beats him in camp, Fine should sit and continue to develop. Can Fine be redshirted or did we burn his last year?

I don't see it as being likely at all that Fine redshirts next year.  If Isadore wins the #1 spot, it would make far more sense to keep the experienced Fine as the backup while redshirting Pearson.  Even if Pearson were to win the #1 spot, I don't see putting a redshirt on Fine.  The staff would basically be saying that Pearson is the QB for the next 4 years--putting a redshirt on Fine would just make him exhaust his eligibility at the same time as Pearson.

• Upvote 5

This is all an exercise in futility.

Both Mullens and Fine had terrible freshman years. Near-worst in the country for their respective years.

The key is how Mullens did afterwards, and how Fine will learn and grow from his first year. 

Questions you need to ask yourself:

• How did he progress as a passer (technique, accuracy, delivery) through the course of the season
    • He improved, some areas more than others
  • How did he progress as a decision maker
    • Ehh....
  • How did he progress as a leader
    • No doubt the huddle was his
  • How much more playbook did we see as the year progressed
    • Not sure

How will Fine do in his second year? Say it with me: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*insert what do we do when we fall motivational batman quote*

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Both Mullens and Fine had terrible freshman years. Near-worst in the country for their respective years.

The key is how Mullens did afterwards, and how Fine will learn and grow from his first year. 

• How did he progress as a passer (technique, accuracy, delivery) through the course of the season
    • Ehh....
    • Not sure

Your observations weren't futile.   I think the comparison is apt.
If this comparison is futile, so is the 24/7 class rankings between UNT & UTSA because it's all internet fodder (it's not though).

21 minutes ago, Aldo said:

• Ehh....
    • Not sure

Good points.  Fine needs to improve (along with the rest of the offense to give him more help).  I am glad to have a couple of more arms to compete with him.  

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Your observations weren't futile.   I think the comparison is apt.
If this comparison is futile, so is the 24/7 class rankings between UNT & UTSA because it's all internet fodder (it's not though).

My observations aren't futile ;-)

It's the comparison of, well this guy that did very well in his career had a worse freshman year than Fine.

There's no way of knowing how Fine will bounce back, and it's just hope we're grasping for. So the rest of my post was meant to suggest observable qualities that we could use to project how Fine could grow. 

Get Mullens out of the conversation, bring Pearson in and let's talk about growth after we watch them compete this spring.

I mean it's fun to talk about how he could do based on how he looked live, but to suggest he either sucks or he's great is both boring conversation and unrealistic at this point in time. Call me Cautious Clay?

11 minutes ago, TheBigCawCaw said:

Do all the comparisons and analysis you want but Fine will not be a starter next season.

Like this. This is boring conversation. (is that you NTAlum07?)

What are the observable qualities you think suggest that Fine won't be able to win the starting job? And I don't mean he fumbles all the time, I'm talking about mechanics, delivery, accuracy, film.

Otherwise we continue to circle the thread-killing drain of "well he sucks".

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheBigCawCaw said:

Do all the comparisons and analysis you want but Fine will not be a starter next season.

Because you don't want him to be? Because you have facts to back this up? Until a new depth chart comes out with the new guys on it, our incumbent starter is Mason Fine and his backup is Quinn Shanbour. Maybe that will change by September but it hasn't yet and Littrell loves him some Mason Fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheBigCawCaw said:

aaaaaand along comes Lockdown Larry

I must admit though that once BCC buys into a bit they really stick to their guns.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1