Which signee are you most excited about and why?

Harry

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

For me it is Manase Mose the big o-lineman from Trinity.  He reminds me of a lineman from the past, Nick Zuniga who was from Grand Prairie.  Nasty disposition and very physical.

Hard to tell how he'll do in a air-raid offense since most of his highlights are of him pulling and run-blocking... as for a mean OL, I think Dakota Newman showed more of that in his highlights.

I'm excited to see what Tyreke Davis does.  I'm most-excited about him.  He was recruited to play Safety here.  That's certainly an area of concern for me after McClain (especially now that Gray is graduated).  Khairi played well in his time though.
Jaelon Darden has some serious straight-line speed.  So many highlights of him running through defensive secondaries where it appeared they were taking good lines on him... he just ran through them.  Wonder if he'll be a ST's guy (return man) immediately.
One to keep an eye on/flying under the radar: Kody Fulp.  I think he'll wind up being a significant part of the MG defense soon (if not this season).  His highlights show great play recognition and solid tackling.

• Upvote 7

Guyton and Darden for me on offense are a toss up. Guyton just has that big school shine that's hard to overcome. On defense, as i've mentioned and @Cerebus cried about, Chris Thornton. As much as everyone complains it's a cop out, i've liked the film of most of our class more than previous classes. But you know, you have to actually watch it and create your own evaluations for that.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I think Johnson will be the surprise of the class although NT has not had a lot of luck with Louisiana players.    

Wouldn't it be more correct to say that Mac hasn't had a lot of luck with Louisiana players?  I seem to recall several good ones from the DD years, no?

• Upvote 1

I'll go with Novil on defense and White/Sigger are the ones that are the most interesting... Novil in his tape was just such a dominating individual on tape. Also, I feel like English is going to be a man on a mission this year to make up for missing the past 2 years and he said that during his interview today. Novil I think is someone that could potential help and he is someone who already have some size coming in at 240/250(I believe).

White I like because he has the height, so he should be an outside WR. I feel that Tyler Wilson is best suited as a slot because he seems more of a guy that has wiggle than the ability to go up for the ball, and Tyler I view is a smaller (sub-6 ft WR). Moving Wilson to the slot with Griffin and others from last year and the kid from Houston I think that is a solid slot group. The outside will be Rico, Guyton, and Smiley.

Sigger is just a super physical kid, and can not wait to pair him up with Nic Smith

EVERY SINGLE SKILL KID. These guys went out and really got some solid players.  I DONT CARE WHAT THE RANKINGS SAY!!! lol I look at what we rolled out last year at skill positions (Wilson, And Wilson) aside and there isn't a single signee that I am not confident saying they'll be an upgrade from what we had.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, GMG24 said:

EVERY SINGLE SKILL KID. These guys went out and really got some solid players.  I DONT CARE WHAT THE RANKINGS SAY!!! lol I look at what we rolled out last year at skill positions (Wilson, And Wilson) aside and there isn't a single signee that I am not confident saying they'll be an upgrade from what we had.  

Amen.

• Upvote 1

I am excited about the OL recruits.

No matter what the coaches said last year I don't think most of the linemen had the skillset they really wanted in this offense.  Will they be better this year?  Yes.  But obviously you don't go out and sign a ton of linemen and then talk about them so much unless you think they can come in and help.

I am excited about Guyton. I think he has the ability to step right in and be a difference maker at WR. I am also excited about Nic Smith. Although not part of this class he will be coming off his redshirt season and by all accounts dominated in scout team play. When you look at the offense we have 4 3-star players at WR/RB and Smith from last year.

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Here is a question...Is T.Davis going to be a kid that is like Fine last year that calms or brings some energy to this defense to step it up?

McClain should already has that role locked down for the defense now that Scott is gone.  But I hope Davis comes in and proves himself early so he can take that role over when McClain graduates.      
The offense did not have that guy (outside of an occasionally-firey Thad Thompson) anywhere, and so needed Fine to come grab the reigns.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

McClain should already has that role locked down for the defense now that Scott is gone.  But I hope Davis comes in and proves himself early so he can take that role over when McClain graduates.      
The offense did not have that guy (outside of an occasionally-firey Thad Thompson) anywhere, and so needed Fine to come grab the reigns.

I bet Garner has something to say about that ?

21 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I thought post suspension Smiley started to really get going. Ivery was a bright spot when Wilson was away. Ced Fernandez, who's played some pretty good minutes at SS I believe, will be returning from injury. That kid really like to hit if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, Caw Caw said:

I thought post suspension Smiley started to really get going. Ivery was a bright spot when Wilson was away. Ced Fernandez, who's played some pretty good minutes at SS I believe, will be returning from injury. That kid really like to hit if I remember correctly.

Yeah he did, but with this offense you need 10-12 WR ideally, but minimum of 8 where you can sub in and out and stay fresh

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Offensive line! A fellow coach talked to Seth a few nights ago and he said Seth was really excited about the offensive lineman they have coming in. He felt that was a weekness that they have addressed. Should help Fine in the pocket and open up the run game more. 

Never oust a coaches insight, Seth would be Pissed.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2