Round 2 of Facilities Improvement Started

BTG_Fan1

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

The topic of the new arena was brought up again today, I'm sure that this could change but stadium apparently is being rumored to only have between 4-5000 seats, while the SuperPit holds 10k.

Doesn't need 10k 4-5 is probably a perfect number and an attainable sell out that could eventually drive up ticket prices. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, GMG24 said:

Doesn't need 10k 4-5 is probably a perfect number and an attainable sell out that could eventually drive up ticket prices. 

Yep, that what was discussed.. It sounds like they want it to seem "Fuller" than but to also help cutdown on heating, cooling, etc as well.. I haven't been to other schools like UTA, SMU, or TCU but would this be similar to their # of seats?

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The topic of the new arena was brought up again today, I'm sure that this could change but stadium apparently is being rumored to only have between 4-5000 seats, while the SuperPit holds 10k.

How did this "rumor" get started?!?

5 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

So professor > President Smatresk?

This professor has been right about everything else, and also runs the volleyball, and cheerleading that do competitions at the superpit among other things. But I may have missed it but Smatresk just said we would have a new SP in the future, he hasn't said the size yet either..

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

This professor has been right about everything else, and also runs the volleyball, and cheerleading that do competitions at the superpit among other things. But I may have missed it but Smatresk just said we would have a new SP in the future, he hasn't said the size yet either..

In this very thread it was said a new arena was in the initial planning phase and was projected to be in the 7-8k range. Anything smaller is a waste of money and effort as it would limit the program's growth and stature amongst nearby programs (SMU, TCU, UTA).

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

In this very thread it was said a new arena was in the initial planning phase and was projected to be in the 7-8k range. Anything smaller is a waste of money and effort as it would limit the program's growth and stature amongst nearby programs (SMU, TCU, UTA).

While I don't deny that it is a waste, I would assume that it would 4-5 with the ability to go higher. I was in shock as well at the low #, but I'm passing along what I've heard and been told by someone who has knowledge of what is being proposed.

• Downvote 2

4,000?  You kidding me?  Are we trying our very best to backtrack and compete with SFA and Sam Houston?

Any new BB facility we build better be in the 8,000+ capacity range just to stay with TCU, SMU, and UTA.  Anything less, we should just change our name back to North Texas Normal College.

Gosh how we have regressed over the years.  Sickening.

What's next, converting the Club Section at Apogee into classrooms?  Maybe make the suites upstairs into dormitories?

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

While I don't deny that it is a waste, I would assume that it would 4-5 with the ability to go higher. I was in shock as well at the low #, but I'm passing along what I've heard and been told by someone who has knowledge of what is being proposed.

Expansions tend to be expensive. Odds are it would cost more to build initially at 4-5k and then add 3k later down the road than to have built it out at 8k to start with.

It'll also limit the school's ability to host Conference USA events, like the MBB/WBB Basketball Tournament. How sad would it be where we can't host the championship on our own court because it's too small and instead have to use the SuperPit because it's a bigger venue.

4 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Expansions tend to be expensive. Odds are it would cost more to build initially at 4-5k and then add 3k later down the road than to have built it out at 8k to start with.

It'll also limit the school's ability to host Conference USA events, like the MBB/WBB Basketball Tournament. How sad would it be where we can't host the championship on our own court because it's too small and instead have to use the SuperPit because it's a bigger venue.

I agree again, but could it be that C-USA is not likely to hold the championship here because of the travel for other schools?

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I agree again, but could it be that C-USA is not likely to hold the championship here because of the travel for other schools?

Why take yourself out of consideration though by building an under-sized arena? They've held it as far west as El Paso in the past 5 years.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Trust me.  It is less expensive to fly in to DFW and bus to Denton than it is to fly to some of these other locations.  Plus, anything less than 8,000 is a waste of time.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

As I've said many times our best averages have never been anywhere close to capacity. A crazy luxurious 5K arena is perfect.

Were you here during the JJ era? We'd have 4k+ crowds on a regular basis.  Some of those games would have been a sellout with the sized arena you are proposing. I don't think an arena under 7k is a wise investment.

It also makes getting nearby Power BB programs like Texas Tech and Oklahoma State more difficult because their local alumni might not be able to get tickets.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

?Let's just wait until we hit 50,000 enrollment & then maybe we can downsize a new arena to the tune of about 2,000 seats?  Our losing culture has dummied us down to thinking the way we think at UNT. 

Sometimes those in higher education (like career & establishment politicians) are not too savvy in the area of business or marketing or (in our case) no clue of how to grow an athletic program.  Other much smaller NCAA FBS schools in backwater outposts school us regularly on how to gitter' done.  It's embarrassing.  (So...it just must be in the damn drinking water up there). 

Yet who is going to be suckered in to this kind of stink in' freakin' thinkin'?  We are sometimes like sheep being led to slaughter we have so followed bad & totally ineffective leadership in lockstep & then excusing it all as if it's the norm? And some wonder why most of our 235,000 DFW area alums don't want an association with this kind of "the bigger our school gets--the smaller it thinks" idiocy?  

For most of our area alums, our alma mater is a school that's easy to not support.  We've only helped that with a losing culture that features a winning  season every once in awhile & an uncanny record of hiring & keeping those on payroll who set low goals sometimes meeting those.   Top 25 goals is for some other schools--not ours; after all "we po'--but proud." 

It seems North Texas plans its future & it's venues as if we will never-ever have a winning NCAA program again.  Hell, let's just all bring our lawn chairs & meet at the back forty to watch our future varsity teams--think about the savings of doing that & the unique publicity that would give our school?

Red? BRING IT!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Were you here during the JJ era? We'd have 4k+ crowds on a regular basis.  Some of those games would have been a sellout with the sized arena you are proposing. I don't think an arena under 7k is a wise investment.

It also makes getting nearby Power BB programs like Texas Tech and Oklahoma State more difficult because their local alumni might not be able to get tickets.

I was. Go look at the numbers, they're not what you think.

If we built a 5K arena Tech would've been a sellout. That's it.

Edited by Ryan Munthe