Other Scheduling Possibilities: Oklahoma State? Nebraska?

Side Show Joe

Can Wren drop our road trip to Wisconsin and add a home and home with OK State?

Oklahoma State needs a home game in 2019, and has an opening for a road game in 2022. Stillwater is fairly close to Denton, and would bring a large crowd. Plus it would be a game we could sell to local recruits. This is what the change in schedule would look like. Changes are in bold.

2019- Abilene Christian, @SMU, Army, @Wisconsin

2022- @SMU, Army

changed to

2019- Abilene Christian, @SMU, Army, @Oklahoma State

2022- @SMU, Army, Oklahoma State

What do you think? And, how much might it cost to get out of the Winconsin game?

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Can Wren drop our road trip to Wisconsin and add a home and home with OK State?

Oklahoma State needs a home game in 2019, and has an opening for a road game in 2022. Stillwater is fairly close to Denton, and would bring a large crowd. Plus it would be a game we could sell to local recruits. This is what the change in schedule would look like. Changes are in bold.

2019- Abilene Christian, @SMU, Army, @Wisconsin

2022- @SMU, Army

changed to

2022- @SMU, Army, Oklahoma State

What do you think? And, how much might it cost to get out of the Winconsin game?

Nice research, and in all likelihood, Wren and staff have identified and evaluated Oklahoma State as a possible future opponent.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

OSU would be an awesome and very probable opponent we could get. They've played at FAU, at Troy, at ULL, at UTSA, and at Central Michigan in the past. UNT would be a much better OOC game for them than any of those other teams.

But they wouldn't be replacing the body bag opponent. That revenue loss isn't ever happening. They would replace Army  or SMU someday, or, as I suggested yesterday, to replace the FCS game. Imagine this:

SMU, @ body bag, @Army, Okie Lite

@SMU, @bodybag, Army, @OSU

The extra revenue from hosting OSU for a home game would easily aid the AD, instead of paying for the FCS spare that costs us money.

We, like most G5s, aren't giving up the easy revenue from the body bag game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Another change to the schedule could be made by adding a home and home with Nebraska. The Huskers have an opening for a road game in 2020. We could easily give them the return game in 2022. All we have to do is drop Houston Baptist. This is what the change would look like.

2020- SMU, @A&M, Houston Baptist, @Army

2022- SMU, @Memphis

or

2020- SMU, @A&M, Nebraska, @Army

2022- SMU, @Memphis, @Nebraska

If Wren were able to Drop both Wisconsin and Houston Baptist, and add home and homes with OK St. and Nebraska, this is what our future schedule could look like.

2022- @SMU, Army, Oklahoma State, @Nebraska

That is a non conference schedule the athletic department can sell to recruits and potential season ticket purchasers. People like us will buy our season tickets and be at the games, but we need to think of how we can tap into our large alumni base in DFW, and attract more media attention in Texas. Plus, I think a schedule like this would help us win more battles for some of the higher regarded recruits.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

Another change to the schedule could be made by adding a home and home with Nebraska. The Huskers have an opening for a road game in 2020. We could easily give them the return game in 2022. All we have to do is drop Houston Baptist. This is what the change would look like.

2022- SMU, @Memphis

or

If Wren were able to Drop both Wisconsin and Houston Baptist, and add home and homes with OK St. and Nebraska, this is what our future schedule could look like.

That is a non conference schedule the athletic department can sell to recruits and potential season ticket purchasers. People like us will buy our season tickets and be at the games, but we need to think of how we can tap into our large alumni base in DFW, and attract more media attention in Texas. Plus, I think a schedule like this would help us win more battles for some of the higher regarded recruits.

This is awesome--great post!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I could probably reach the most -1 votes I have ever had here but...... Whorin us out on the road is much better for the casual fan because more than likely they won't see it.  This idea of bringing these juggernauts in so we "sell Apogee out" just to get bent over and murdered in front of a sell out doesn't make recruits or fans more interested.

Scenario time:(fan perspective)

Oh my gosh UNT is playing Okie State how awesome.  Good thing the score starts out tied because it won't stay that way for long.  We will end up with nothing but Okie State fans staying for the 3rd & 4th quarter.  Please explain to me how that will make the casual fan interested into potentially becoming a future donor?

Now the argument about selling to recruits:

Hey come check us out we are playing Nebraska this weekend.  The kid would love that until he notices we are getting our pudding punched in albeit in front of a sell out crowd for 2 quarters maybe.  He will walk away saying well that was embarrassing.  Honestly if the idea is to sway that recruit our way bring in the teams that we compete against for recruits.  

If you are that high school kid and you have 3 offers UNT Okie State & Nebraska not a damn one of us would have chosen UNT you know it and I know it..  that kid is not for us.  However you schedule Kansas Memphis (love this add) Vanderbilt we have a chance to beat out those offers.

Then hopefully we have a punchers chance in the 4th quarter.  I understand we have hopes of being better by the time we play those teams but that level good C'MN.  I like the Tech add that's somebody we can compete with for sure. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

13 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

I could probably reach the most -1 votes I have ever had here but...... Whorin us out on the road is much better for the casual fan because more than likely they won't see it.  This idea of bringing these juggernauts in so we "sell Apogee out" just to get bent over and murdered in front of a sell out doesn't make recruits or fans more interested.

Oh my gosh UNT is playing Okie State how awesome.  Good thing the score starts out tied because it won't stay that way for long.  We will end up with nothing but Okie State fans staying for the 3rd & 4th quarter.  Please explain to me how that will make the casual fan interested into potentially becoming a future donor?

Hey come check us out we are playing Nebraska this weekend.  The kid would love that until he notices we are getting our pudding punched in albeit in front of a sell out crowd for 2 quarters maybe.  He will walk away saying well that was embarrassing.  Honestly if the idea is to sway that recruit our way bring in the teams that we compete against for recruits.  

If you are that high school kid and you have 3 offers UNT Okie State & Nebraska not a damn one of us would have chosen UNT you know it and I know it..  that kid is not for us.  However you schedule Kansas Memphis (love this add) Vanderbilt we have a chance to beat out those offers.

Then hopefully we have a punchers chance in the 4th quarter.  I understand we have hopes of being better by the time we play those teams but that level good C'MN.  I like the Tech add that's somebody we can compete with for sure. 

Typical UNT loser mentality right here.

Maybe you mean like when K State played at Fouts, right? Except your little scenario didn't come to bear. UNT lost by a respectable 9 points in a good game that was back and forth most of the way.

But I guess when you think your team will always suck, you only care about not getting beat too bad.

Good Lord.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

Just now, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

@UNT90 how does bringing in Okie State make us better last year or get us a win closer to 6 wins? Explain that please.

Right, because in your world, winning 6 games is the ultimate for this program. 

It's about expectations. You seem to have very little for UNT. Bringing in Tech or Okie St shows that UNT isn't afraid to compete. It raises expectations. It demands more. 

How has playing crap opponents worked out for UNT the last 10 plus years? You just want more of the same. 

Typical loser UNT fanbase mentality.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

On 1/29/2017 at 6:36 AM, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

@UNT90 thanks for calling me a loser not sure what I have done just trying to have dialogue. I understand you like to be correct I read it all over this board.  But you make this board a very unpleasant place to be.  @Harry

Good lord.

I didn't call you a loser. This fan base is infected by losing. 15 years of it. It breeds a loser mentality. You said you were scared to play Okie St in Apogee. I can't think of a better example of such a mentality.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

51 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Typical UNT loser mentality right here.

Maybe you mean like when K State played at Fouts, right? Except your little scenario didn't come to bear. UNT lost by a respectable 9 points in a good game that was back and forth most of the way.

But I guess when you think your team will always suck, you only care about not getting beat too bad.

Good Lord.

Yes but that only works when we are playing against  a Chris Cosh coached KState defense.

23 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

2022- SMU, @Memphis

or

I doubt Nebraska will schedule UNT for a home and home.  Over the last 20 years, Nebraska has played 2 away games with non-P5 teams, 2003 and 2011.  In 2011 Nebraska visited Wyoming as part of home and home or a 2 for 1 arrangement.  Nebraska has a history with Wyoming going back at least 50 years.  Nebraska visiting Apogee is most likely not gonna happen.

6 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Gosh if you set that low of a ceiling for North Texas, why are you even a fan?

This is why scheduling a home and homes with these programs is better then bending over on the road every season...

Littrell is improving our program. These games would not even start until 2019. That's 3 seasons from now. I expect us to be better by then. If you don't, then you need to re-access your priorities as they pertain to what you expect from the North Texas football program.

This is why scheduling these home and homes are better for recruiting...

First, I don't expect to beat out most P5 programs for recruits, and I never stated we would. But, scheduling these home and home series, will elevate the perception of our program, and help us win recruiting battles with other C-USA programs and many of the other G5 programs in general. I believe there are more P5 programs out there that would be willing to play at North Texas, because they would love the opportunity to place their product in front of talented DFW recruits.

We all need to expect more.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, MeanGreenDadx2 said:

I doubt Nebraska will schedule UNT for a home and home.  Over the last 20 years, Nebraska has played 2 away games with non-P5 teams, 2003 and 2011.  In 2011 Nebraska visited Wyoming as part of home and home or a 2 for 1 arrangement.  Nebraska has a history with Wyoming going back at least 50 years.  Nebraska visiting Apogee is most likely not gonna happen.

Circumstances change situations. Nebraska isn't the program it used to be. They have not played a game in DWF since losing the Big12 Championship game back in 2010, and as of now, they don't have a game scheduled in DWF for at least the next 15 seasons (thru 2031). So yes, I think Nebraska would at lest consider a home and home with North Texas. It would be a smart more for them to get their team in front of DFW recruits.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Side Show Joe said:

Circumstances change situations. Nebraska isn't the program it used to be. They have not played a game in DWF since losing the Big12 Championship game back in 2010, and as of now, they don't have a game scheduled in DWF for at least the next 15 seasons (thru 2031). So yes, I think Nebraska would at lest consider a home and home with North Texas. It would be a smart more for them to get their team in front of DFW recruits.

Hahaha, my dad is a long time Nebraska fan and alumnus, so he knows the in's and out's of the program. Nebraska ain't changing its scheduling philosophy. Nebraska isn't worried about getting in front of DFW/Texas recruits.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Hahaha, my dad is a long time Nebraska fan and alumnus, so he knows the in's and out's of the program. Nebraska ain't changing its scheduling philosophy. Nebraska isn't worried about getting in front of DFW/Texas recruits.

In my several visits to Lincoln in the past year, Texas simply isn't on the radar at all.  Super charming town BTW. 

• Upvote 1

OKState likely would pass.. they already recruit enough in DFW... Tech wants UNT because its a local game for their recruits and they have to compete with a bunch of over Big12 schools.. also, wonder if Tech plays TCU at home that year.

One match up that could be nice in a few years could be Washington State, its a P5 like everyone wants and would be interesting Leach vs our staff

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1