Does everyone expect Mason Fine to start at HOD ?

greenjoe

14 minutes ago, UNT09 said:

Never said anything about the QB but lets be real here...Wilson had 3 tds and we also scored one when Eric Jenkins intercepted the ball. Mason pass to Goree was under thrown but luckily it was against a bad secondary. 6 td's isn't going to cut it, some of these Qb's in our conference throw 3 to 5 a touchdowns a game.

Agreed 100%.. We can all say fine did a solid job at best this season... Fine did get lucky vs Army because he should have had multiple INTs that game... He even had some great flashes like 1st drive vs MTSU, and the last 2, but between those he was terrible and so was the entire offense. Fine vs UTSA had the long run, then again at the end when UTSA was playing off... Fine was not a savior to our Season, honestly it was the defense that held tight in our Ws and Wilson getting into the Endzone

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, ForneyGreen said:

I hope Fine starts *if* he is healthy and ready, because I feel a healthy Fine gives us a better chance at winning.  I don't think Fine has been healthy since before the Army game, and that showed in his throws.

If Morris starts, I don't think it is much of a drop-off in passing specifically, but starting Morris essentially removes the QB running threat (one less thing for the defense to account for).

Fine such a big running threat - 8 attempts for 3 yards against Army.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4039073/mason-fine                                  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

2 minutes ago, ForneyGreen said:

I hope Fine starts *if* he is healthy and ready, because I feel a healthy Fine gives us a better chance at winning.  I don't think Fine has been healthy since before the Army game, and that showed in his throws.

If Morris starts, I don't think it is much of a drop-off in passing specifically, but starting Morris essentially removes the QB running threat (one less thing for the defense to account for).

Mason is can run it better than Morris, but Morris is a better Passer.. yes Morris has thrown more INTs at times, but Morris will keep the defenses from coming up and stacking the box for Wilson. Wilson vs Army got lucky on 2/3 runs is what helped us win. They need/should rotate the QBs. Not saying just bring fine in for running plays or Morris only to pass it, but Morris will throw it away and he does have some descent speed as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNT09 said:

Fine such a big running threat - 8 attempts for 3 yards against Army.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4039073/mason-fine                                  

Also from ESPN...

Alec Morris:  Longest Run = 5 yds (0 TD)

Mason Fine:  Longest Run = 80 yds (2 TD)

I don't think either will scare Army's defense with passing (although I would love to see the same comical Army DB performance we saw at West Point!)  

Really hope Wilson is healthy and ready.

• Upvote 3

Just now, ForneyGreen said:

Also from ESPN...

Alec Morris:  Longest Run = 5 yds (0 TD)

Mason Fine:  Longest Run = 80 yds (2 TD)

I don't think either will scare Army's defense with passing (although I would love to see the same comical Army DB performance we saw at West Point!)  

Really hope Wilson is healthy and ready.

And that's all you could find.....now you realize Fine isn't a running QB threat

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11

3 hours ago, meangreendork said:

He outperformed a 5-year Alabama back-up and helped to post wins for a team that had a disastrous season the year prior.

As a freshman.

I'd say he accomplished something.

Did he?  Bama QB had as many TD passes despite only starting three games.  Would have liked to see the coaching staff not panic after three quarters of football in game one, but they did.  Wasn't this supposed to be an "Air Raid" offense?  Bama QB averaged two TD passes per game in the games he started; Fine averaged 0.67 per game started.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I do not base my opinion on any 1 player on his classroom marking. I base it off performance and only performance. Mason Fine was our starting QB this year. He threw for 1500 yards, 6td, 5int 59% completion percentage. One of two things needs to happen. 1) MF needs to develop quickly. 2) We need another QB (Pearson or Isladore) to be the real deal. As is, this is not going to work. Either way, a statistical upgrade needs to happen at that position one way or another and no sane, in tune person is going to say otherwise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT09 said:

No Fine was marketed as a savior after getting the trash minutes during SMU

Welcome to the board Ms. Morris.

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Morris is a better Passer

Which stat tipped you off? The lower completion percentage, the lower yards per attempt, or the lower rating? You already mentioned the one more pick.

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 6.01.22 PM.png

Not saying it is by much, but I think your statement is false.

Edited by MeanGreenDan
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Did he?  Bama QB had as many TD passes despite only starting three games.  Would have liked to see the coaching staff not panic after three quarters of football in game one, but they did.  Wasn't this supposed to be an "Air Raid" offense?  Bama QB averaged two TD passes per game in the games he started; Fine averaged 0.67 per game started.

He played SMU (not bowling), USM, and an atrocious UTEP team who he didn't do a thing to until their backups backup was playing.  Look neither was stellar, both have holes in their game.  However Mason has proven time and again he makes more plays consistently.

Defenses faced by each QB in order of overall a Ranking 

5 Army - Mason 

6 Florida - Mason 

18 Southern Miss - Alec 

37 WKU - Mason injury leading to Alec 

58 UTSA - Mason 

70 La Tech - Mason 

72 UTEP - Alec 

92 MTSU - Mason 

102 SMU - Alec 

105 Marshall - Mason 

123 Rice - Mason 

Positive note our our defense finished 79th and these rankings include every statistical category possible. 

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p2

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UNT09 said:

If you know football you would know that

1. Our offensive line was bad this year

2. Alec Morris had to start into a new team, new system which majority of times any QB  would be rusty in their first game. The offensive line had to get adjusted into a new blocking system which is not easy. My opinion, he didn't really get a fair chance and he still has thrown amount of same TD passes as Mason with less games played.

3. Jeffrey Wilson carried us this season

4. No true play maker at the WR along with depth.

You do realize that your points here...

3 hours ago, UNT09 said:

Hopefully we will because I'm tired of us being at the bottom in our conference QB ratings

...influence the outcome here, yes?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT09 said:

I would want Alex Morris to start and hopefully we find a quarterback for the future. Nothing against Mason Fine and I think he is great kid and a hard worker but by the numbers he didn't do anything that special this season. 

3 hours ago, THOR said:

how many other schools in cusa started a freshman qb for the majority of the year?

Let's compare Fine's stats with the freshman stats of Nick Mullens, a top C-USA QB:

Mullens:

PASSING STATS

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR

2013 136 276 1776 49.3 6.44 81 13 14 25 108.7 27.1 21.1
RUSHING STATS
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD

2013 40 -103 -2.6 13 2

Fine:

PASSING STATS

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2016 155 261 1572 59.4 6.02 75 6 5 36 113.7 39.5 30.9
RUSHING STATS
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
2016 94 118 1.3 80 2

Of course, all those sacks Mason took factor into those stats.  But if you want to go "by the numbers," there's no reason why he couldn't be a better QB his senior season than Mullens has been his.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Morris can make throws Fine can't make right now. His deep ball is more accurate and that leads to a more *explosive offense. 

*Nothing about our offense is explosive with either QB in the game. 

Jeff Wilson, when healthy, carried this offense. 

Morris definitely has the more "Live" arm of the two, however I don't believe that given time to set his feet and not run for his life Fine can make sure about every throw.  Deep outs and comebacks are my two routes I worry about most with Fine.  Those are Sunday throws and I don't think he's got that arm.  Morris does but has awful decision making and gets happy feet before throwing IMO.  I don't want this to be a bash our QB's these are my opinions only.  I think BOTH of these young men know there's things in their games they must improve by bowl time for (whoever) starts to give us a chance to win.  I would love the Defense to score and get 7 total turnovers again but I just don't see it happening.  And this army defense is the truth. Particularly in the run game! 

I thought I saw it announced that Mason Fine would be starting in the HOD Bowl.  But, this thread is making me think I was imagining that I saw that.  But, really, thought I saw an announcement saying Fine was starting.  Not trying to stir the pot at all, just thought it had been decided in favor of Fine being the starter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Live arm?  I think back to the opening drive for a touchdown against MUTS.   Didn't Fine complete about 6 or 7 in a row against one of the better teams in CUSA?  

I think back to Darrell Royal's UT QB's & how none of his were ever drafted by the NFL to play on Sunday, but they were good, functioning college quarterbacks who were (as I see Mason Fine ) effective field generals managing a well balanced offensive game plan.  DKR won 2 national championships with QB's the NFL never considered.   Here is some of the MUTS game and its opening drive for a TD as led by Mason Fine.   

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

1 hour ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Welcome to the board Ms. Morris.

Which stat tipped you off? The lower completion percentage, the lower yards per attempt, or the lower rating? You already mentioned the one more pick.

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 6.01.22 PM.png

Not saying it is by much, but I think your statement is false.

Your allowed to think I'm false, but how many of those yards did Fine have in garbage time? He had games vs UTSA/MTSU that he didn't do anything then would light it up in the end when the defenses played prevent or kept it in front of them. Also, we can hate on Morris but the guy was our leading passing after 3 Qs while it took fine nearly 10 Qs to just match him. Also, everyone should agree Morris will toss the ball away and not take a sack when fine takes sacks which sets us back. Also, we can agree this offense runs better when we can pass the ball, which Fine wasn't having much lucky at at times before he got injured. Also, how many of those picks for Morris were off of WR hands? he had 3 INTs vs SMU and 2 were bc of the WRs... so that alone drops Morris below Fine. 

• Downvote 4

21 minutes ago, UNT09 said:

We would of won 5 games without Mason Fine. We wouldn't have won 5 games without Wilson. 

Agreed.

Don't forget about the Defensive performance in several of those wins. They were the most improved & big surprise of the 1st half of the season. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ForneyGreen said:

but starting Morris essentially removes the QB running threat (one less thing for the defense to account for).

My biggest gripe with the kid. For that reason I'd rather have Shanbour out there over Morris if Fine can't go just to keep the defense honest. I'm not the coach which is why I expect Morris to start. That shoulder injury he suffered is no joke. He can still probably throw but I'm sure it hurts like hell and that is when you end up with errant passes.

24 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Saying stuff like this will always be disliked here even though its true, but agreed as well.

No one is disagreeing that Wilson is the Offensive MVP...Wilson certainly won us more games than fine.

This whole topic is about who will, or should, be starting QB.

• Upvote 1