Does everyone expect Mason Fine to start at HOD ?

greenjoe

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

A great teammate Alex Morris covered for Mason Fine during the last 3 games of the season.  Is Fine healthy enough to win again against West Point December 27 ?

Beat ARMY

GO MEAN GREEN

I would want Alex Morris to start and hopefully we find a quarterback for the future. Nothing against Mason Fine and I think he is great kid and a hard worker but by the numbers he didn't do anything that special this season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 21

Just now, meangreendork said:

He outperformed a 5-year Alabama back-up and helped to post wins for a team that had a disastrous season the year prior.

As a freshman.

I'd say he accomplished something.

If you know football you would know that

1. Our offensive line was bad this year

2. Alec Morris had to start into a new team, new system which majority of times any QB  would be rusty in their first game. The offensive line had to get adjusted into a new blocking system which is not easy. My opinion, he didn't really get a fair chance and he still has thrown amount of same TD passes as Mason with less games played.

3. Jeffrey Wilson carried us this season

4. No true play maker at the WR along with depth.

• Downvote 10

1 minute ago, UNT09 said:

2. Alec Morris had to start into a new team, new system which majority of times any QB  would be rusty in their first game. The offensive line had to get adjusted into a new blocking system which is not easy. My opinion, he didn't really get a fair chance and he still has thrown amount of same TD passes as Mason with less games played.

did you see his 80 yd TD....pulling away from the DB.......he has more potential than I have seen around here in a long time

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNT09 said:

Enough said with #1 although the OL shows signs of promise.  This time of the season they are more sophomores than freshmen.  The same with Mason Fine.  I look for a good HOD Bowl performance from both.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

4 minutes ago, UNT09 said:

Hopefully we will because I'm tired of us being at the bottom in our conference QB ratings

We went from 1 win to 5 to a bowl because of the APR.  

Are we being a bit impatient considering the diasaster against Portland State last Fall--a fired staff & a newly hired staff who arrived too late to put their signature on their 1'st recruiting class?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

We went from 1 win to 5 to a bowl because of the APR.  

Are we being a bit impatient considering the diasaster against Portland State last Fall--a fired staff & a newly hired staff who arrived too late to put their signature on their 1'st recruits?

Qb ratings...I didn't say anything about our record. Regarding our record, we relied heavily on our run game. Just like against Army where Littrell thought he was a bone head to not capitalize on it in the first half.

Edited by UNT09
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

39 minutes ago, UNT09 said:

Qb ratings...I didn't say anything about our record. Regarding our record, we relied heavily on our run game. Just like against Army where Littrell thought he was a bone head to not capitalize on it in the first half.

were you at the Army game?  I was.  the wind was the huge factor in the passing game.  Our world class punter couldn't even get a 30 yd punt down field.  The adjustments were made based on the wind...not QB

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Here we go again dissing CUSA's All Conference Frosh' 1'st Team QB.  

People have been saying it but again fine was the only true QB to get alot of playing time..

50 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

did you see his 80 yd TD....pulling away from the DB.......he has more potential than I have seen around here in a long time

Its great that Fine had a few great plays, a few good drives, and truly even fewer great games... The place were Fine hurt us more than Morris was with the sacks. Morris will throw the ball away, and keep it from being 2nd and 16 instead of 2nd and 10.. Also, Fine had ran into a block mid-way through the season. 

1 minute ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

were you at the Army game?  I was.  the wind was the huge factor in the passing game.  Our world class punter couldn't even get a 30 yd punt down field.  The adjustments were made based on the wind...not QB

Keena can be a world-class punter when he is 1-32 doing the job.. or when he wins the Gonza Award, till then he is a good punter, but not world class. Also, fine was lucky that game, he should have finished with atleast 3 INTs, and was aided by drops/slips by Army's DBs 

While everyone here loves Fine, and we can all agree he is the QB of the future hopefully, we have to hope/want that Fine will be the worst QB that we bring in and that Izzy/Pearson are hand-downs better. Not because we don't like Fine, But because it means we have better talent. Also, UNT should not name a starter at QB, make Army Prep for Fine and Morris. But if UNT, I'm going with Morris because he has proven to not take as many negitive plays, but I would rotate in Fine

• Downvote 7

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Never said anything about the QB but lets be real here...Wilson had 3 tds and we also scored one when Eric Jenkins intercepted the ball. Mason pass to Goree was under thrown but luckily it was against a bad secondary. 6 td's isn't going to cut it, some of these Qb's in our conference throw 3 to 5 a touchdowns a game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, UNT09 said:

Alec Morris was a grad transfer who started much earlier than Fine.  He was here for all of spring ball and had all of summer to work out and throw with WR.  He had ample opportunity to win the job and he lost it.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GMG24 said:

Alec Morris was a grad transfer who started much earlier than Fine.  He was here for all of spring ball and had all of summer to work out and throw with WR.  He had ample opportunity to win the job and he lost it.  

No Fine was marketed as a savior after getting the trash minutes during SMU

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 15

7 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I hope Fine starts *if* he is healthy and ready, because I feel a healthy Fine gives us a better chance at winning.  I don't think Fine has been healthy since before the Army game, and that showed in his throws.

If Morris starts, I don't think it is much of a drop-off in passing specifically, but starting Morris essentially removes the QB running threat (one less thing for the defense to account for).

• Upvote 4