No B12 Expansion

Cerebus

Looks like UH has lost a big bet...

Houston Chronicle: UH banks on joining big leagues to 'sustain' athletics spending

It's also a costly gamble. UH has spent more than $21 million in each of the past three years supporting an athletics program that doesn't make enough money to sustain itself. Last year, UH gave $26 million to its athletics program - the seventh-highest subsidy in the nation, according to an annual analysis of NCAA finances by USA Today. Athletics spending has frustrated some UH faculty and has driven up the cost of attendance. Rising student fees accounted for nearly 20 percent of athletic revenue at UH in 2014.

It's a practice that UH apparently realizes it cannot keep up. Chancellor Renu Khator wrote as much in an email obtained by the Houston Chronicle. If UH does not get into a major conference soon, "it will be difficult for us to sustain it," she wrote in 2014 to a UH professor who sent her an article about college athletics spending.

"It's a big bet and we're not a cash-rich school," Jonathan Snow, the president of UH's faculty senate, said in a recent interview.

AKA:  See you later, Tom Herman.  

AP: Big 12 Conference decides against expansion

Two new members would mean an extra $50 million in TV revenue per season for the Big 12 on contracts that runs through 2025. And the current members would share the majority of that money at first. TCU and West Virginia joined the Big 12 in 2012, but they did not receive full revenue shares until this year.

The networks have not been keen on the idea of paying the Big 12 to add schools.

“We don’t think expansion in the Big 12 is a good idea for the conference. We think it will be dilutive to the product in the short term. In the long term, it’s probably harmful to the future of the conference,” Fox Sports President Eric Shanks said earlier this month at Sports Media and Technology conference, according to the Sports Business Journal.

The networks could offer the Big 12 a smaller increase in rights fees and possibly an extension on its TV deal for not expanding.

Feel sorry for the teams having to go through the emotional rollercoaster of this process when it was fairly apparent early on they weren't likely to expand.  Really hurts for Houston who I felt was deserving and brought value.

In hindsight the UT Prez blessings and Texas Gov were just politics.

I don't see the Big 12 being a long term viable conference.  We have to continue to position ourselves as there will be another shake-up when Texas, OU etc bolt for greener pastures where we could better ourselves.

In today's DMN, I read some study that reported a 15% increase in the chances of a Big 12 team being in the Playoffs each year. But that didn't coincide with what I heard from various Baylor insiders. They reported right now the Big 12 has a 60% of having one of the four teams and adding BYU plus either Cincy or Houston only go them to a 70% chance mainly because none of the schools has a stronger team than the average of the current Big 12 members. They wouldn't raise the average strength enough to get to 75%. That's why my connections really didn't think there would be expansion after the initial study was done. 

Full disclosure - I got an MBA from Baylor and while I've never given their athletics any donations I get a lot of mailings and I'm active with both the Dallas and Fort Worth Baylor Business Networks.

What does this do to UT-Houston? 

The push for that was the only reason I thought it might go through was get UH's blessing for a UT Houston. 

12 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I still think the ACC could be an option! Location not as important as market! Houston deserves a better conf then the AAC!

ACC is sitting at 14 I think for football. SEC has A&M. Very far geographically to the Big Ten and Pac 12.

• Upvote 1

Herman will be coaching at a P5 school next year and might take a chunk of his staff with him. The question is what can UH afford to pay their next head coach now that they will almost certainly dial their spending back. This is worst case scenario for Houston. Well at least they got a nice new stadium out of it.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Herman will be coaching at a P5 school next year and might take a chunk of his staff with him. The question is what can UH afford to pay their next head coach now that they will almost certainly dial their spending back. This is worst case scenario for Houston. Well at least they got a nice new stadium out of it.

UT-AUSTIN.

The smart ones in all of this were Arkansas and A$M by getting out while the "getting was good."  Arkansas got tired of being the only non-Texas SWC team and UT calling all the shots, and then A$M just got tired of UT ruling the roost.  They are better off and their departures should have been writing on the wall for everyone else.

• Upvote 2