When given time Fine has made good throws

Harry

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I thought the punting game was overall very good, and the rugby punt approach was a huge part of that.

Agree. It allows good coverage and often cuts down on the return.  Good directional punting too.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, NT93 said:

This game will ultimately be good for this team, especially Fine.  When he gets a few seconds to throw next week against Rice he'll think it's an eternity. 

I loved the way the team stood toe to toe and didn't back down.  Yeah, their defense overmatched our offense, but I felt like our guys kept getting up and battling each and every time. 

No complaints about the rugby style kicks.

Agree. The announcers, although pro Florida, thought so too. They kept commenting about Fine's toughness specifically because he would just bounce back up after every hit.

If our defense can perform like this every game and our offense can pick it up a bit, we'll have a surprisingly decent year.

This game (like most games between p5 and g5, or g5 vs fcs, etc...) came down to winning the battle in the trenches. If our oline performed better, you might have seen some better throws and better decision making by Fine.

Hopefully this game doesn't do what happens to g5 teams and fans much to often: give false hope. We played a good defense game against Tennessee last year too but that obviously meant nothing to how our year went. This team has more fight and our coaches are eager. I think this year will different but the rice game will tell us more than this game will.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

This team has a tremendous amount more fight than LY. Defense kept getting after it really until the 4th where our lack of depth showed (same as Georgia a few years ago). I really like what Fine is doing. Sure he tries to pull some HS moves and tuck and run instead of stepping up in the pocket and making the throw but he's a True Freshman. I haven't gotten this excited about a young QB since Smith.

19 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

They kept commenting about Fine's toughness specifically because he would just bounce back up after every hit. 

I was impressed. No real worries about durability. Surviving 7 sacks and all the knockdowns against an SEC power just proved his toughness. Any player is at risk of being hurt, but I don't feel he has any extra likelihood because of his size.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Florida's d-lime is wicked fast..  Tough task for our young o-lime tonight folks.

Yes it was tough. But the bad news is that our O-line really IS bad, and he will likely not have great time at any point all season, which means he does have to learn how to play with very little time. Lets hope this will not become a Vizza situation.

• Upvote 1

This game reminded me of Texas in 2014... Except our QB didn't crap the bed.  Fine is a gamer and never looked scared like Greer and McNulty.  The oline got beat up, but our RBs did a terrible job helping with blitz protections.  Some of that was on the freshman QB, too.  This team will get better as they gain experience.

20 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

I was impressed. No real worries about durability. Surviving 7 sacks and all the knockdowns against an SEC power just proved his toughness. Any player is at risk of being hurt, but I don't feel he has any extra likelihood because of his size.

He is durable until he isn't. One 280 pound guy laying on his leg the wrong way after a sack.... Isn't even just a qustion of being tough.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

He is durable until he isn't. One 280 pound guy laying on his leg the wrong way after a sack.... Isn't even just a qustion of being tough.

Agree. That's the case whether you're Fine, Morris, or Del Rio from Florida. Point I was trying to make is that i dont feel like his lack of size puts him at an extra disadvantage. People were talking like he was a China doll that was gonna break upon first contact.

Edited by brooks91
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Yes it was tough. But the bad news is that our O-line really IS bad, and he will likely not have great time at any point all season, which means he does have to learn how to play with very little time. Lets hope this will not become a Vizza situation.

I think it's hard to gauge vs this Florida team. They have an all american LB in Davis that was coming on snap with a 5 yard head start on blitzes. Granted there were miscues on assignments when they sent extra bodies. I think they will gel together as the season progresses. Fine also needs to call out blocking schematics when he sees it. That is something that he probably didn't have to do much of in HS and he will learn in time. 

We will not get the true barometer on Mason Fine until we get at least 1 or 2 All-CUSA quality offensive linemen starters.  DT#7 had that & he came back from a broken leg at Army to lead the Mean Green to a Heart of Dallas Bowl win before the largest contingent of North Texas fans in history & that was on January 1, 2014--a mere 2 years ago.

Concerning the quality of our present offensive line?   Who knows, we may already have 1 or 2 future All-CUSA lineman on this team but (like Fine) just need time to develop at the college level.  Last year at this time many of our kids were playing on Friday nights. 

GMG!

BEAT THE RICE OWLS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I found myself thinking "When are we going to see Morris?" as the game wound down. It would have been good for him to get some of that game experience...but that D would have eaten him alive. I know it was almost "damned if you do...damned if you don't" when it came to playing Fine the whole game, because I worried about what that defense might do to his confidence; I guess we'll see next week. If he comes out strong, doesn't exhibit "happy feet", and delivers the ball on target I'll quit worrying. He has already seen the best and survived it.

4 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

This game reminded me of Texas in 2014... Except our QB didn't crap the bed.  Fine is a gamer and never looked scared like Greer and McNulty.  The oline got beat up, but our RBs did a terrible job helping with blitz protections.  Some of that was on the freshman QB, too.  This team will get better as they gain experience.

Greer looked scared against Texas, for sure.  McNulty wasn't scare, he just wasn't any good.