MGB: UNT regents to consider new track facility, Fouts demo

Brett Vito

Just now, golfingomez said:

is this the track facility they were talking about 10 years ago that will go behind the tennis center?

I believe so. It's been on the Master Plan since the Mean Green Village became a reality.

6 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I believe dorms. But don't quote me on that. They need to be more worried about a football practice facility more so than a new track facility. 

Problem is Fouts blocks development on the main portion of the campus and so a new track facility becomes more important as the final demolition of Fouts allows the academic development of the campus to take place.

Fans may feel an IPF is more important, developing the land occupied by Fouts fits into the primary goal of the University of North Texas.

• Upvote 7

Per the 2013 Master Plan update oId Fouts Field and the surround area is destined to become:

• Fouts Fields - three new intramural fields.
  • Fouts Field Garage  - a 1,600 car parking garage.
  • A new visitors center.
  • Green space as part of a walking corridor that extends from that edge of campus to the center.

19 minutes ago, Stan R said:

So... What's on the master plan to replace the fouts area and buildings?  Anyone know?

15 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I believe dorms. But don't quote me on that. They need to be more worried about a football practice facility more so than a new track facility. 

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think it was another parking garage and/or dorms.

The Gateway precinct is further developed in this master plan update. By recommending elements to support the anticipated high volume of pedestrians in this location and minimize conflicts with vehicular access to the Murchison Performing Arts Center, future Visitor Information-Welcome Center and Fouts Field Parking Structure and Transit Center. Uses and improvements planned for this precinct include the following:

1. Bridge over North Texas Boulevard from the Gateway Circle Plaza to parking and proposed Visitor Information-Welcome Center

2. Fouts Field Garage for 1,600 cars; a mixed-use facility with a Transit Center on Highland and office space for public outreach uses (Career Center, Visitors Center, etc.) and support functions (transportation, police, facilities)

3. New Visitor Information-Welcome Center could accommodate outreach activities, such as campus tours and the Career Center

4. Multi-purpose, paved and landscaped forecourt is designed to facilitate drop-off and pick-up for the Murchison Performing Arts Center and function as a pedestrian plaza and event space for game-day celebrations or UNT fund-raisers

5. Existing driveway entry from the frontage road is moved to the north, eliminating a conflict with pedestrians using the bridge while maintaining direct access to parking and Center drop-off.

6. Design incorporates reccomendations [typos in our Master Plan make me sad] from the pedestrian bridge workshops for plazas and walkway enhancements

7. Reconstruction of the Gateway Center entry steps (damaged by drainage issues) and parking lot to improve pedestrian and vehicular traffic flow as well as ADA accessibility.

https://osmp.unt.edu/sites/default/files/UNT Denton Master Plan 2013.pdf

• Upvote 5

I always thought they tore down the wrong side of Fouts.  To many of the traveling public Fouts is still the site of North Texas football.  I had a friend in town a few years ago and I told them to look at our new stadium as they drove north on I-35.  They said they saw it but it sure did "look old."  If left a "green space" I wonder if the artificial turf will stay ?  Artificial green space ? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The Armadillo was designed for symphonic music.   It certainly will work for Opera, but I think the Music school wanted a dedicated performance hall for voice.

Mick sings it best:

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

Have you seen this National Opera Championship Ring?

Listen, you can't just show up wearing a big-ass Opera Championship Ring, slap some concrete stands next to a stage and expect singers to show up.  We're going to have to look at the tape and grade them out to see how well they do.
I just hope when Dr. Smatresk looks up and sees that empty spot where the Opera House should be, he'll remember how much money we're saving. Uh, at the end of the day.

• Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

it didn't get the support it needed....

Right....because it's opera.

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's not a high school plan, or a college plan, it's an opera house plan.  And at the end of the day, we gotta ask, "why not a North Texas Opera House?", MFers.

Made me laugh.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

No offense meant, but is rebuilding a new track facility in the top 10 needs for this athletic department?  I would much rather see these funds go to an indoor multipurpose facility which is many high schools now can offer.