MGB breaking news -- Smiley suspended for SMU game

Brett Vito

"Tee Goree, a sophomore who caught 15 passes for 118 yards in 2015, will be UNT’s leading returning wide receiver heading into the SMU game.
UNT could also look to sophomore O’Keeron Rutherford and redshirt freshman Kelvin Smith to help fill the void. Smith caught two passes for 77 yards in UNT’s spring game, when Rutherford caught two passes for 56 yards and a touchdown.
Goree, Rutherford, Smith and senior Connor Davis were listed as UNT’s starters on the Mean Green’s post-spring depth chart.
"

Didn't see anything about Thad Thompson or Rod Bendy.  These guys should be challenging for spots.
I would also think recently converted Kenny Buyers would be mentioned, and could have a chance to take that spot.

Oh, and uh, Bussey. :Yes:

Either way, Smiley needs to hope his replacement has a bad game so he can get back on the field, or he may have lost his chance to start permanently.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Either way, Smiley needs to hope his replacement has a bad game so he can get back on the field, or he may have lost his chance to start permanently.

Not to get all coachspeak and errthing, but I want the best guy out there. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'd rather see him work his way back in on his own merit.

Could set a great example of making up for a mistake.

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Let's look at what Smiley DIDNT do.

The reporting seems to indicate that he hit a parked car or other fixed object (no mention of another driver and Smiley called police himself). He didn't leave the scene of the accident. He could have left a note on the car he hit, left his car, and gone home and reported the next morning to avoid a DWI charge. But he didn't. He stood up and took responsibility for what he did. He called police on himself. He didn't lie about drinking or apparently how much he had (5 beers over a couple of hours would put his BAC at about the level he tears for). He told the officer he shouldn't have been driving. 

Yes, he made the initial mistake but didn't complicate it by hiding his behavior. This is a lesson several posters on here recently demonstrated they haven't learned at a much older age. 

Glad it was only one game. Give this fact set, I may have made it for just the first half of the SMU game. 

Agree.  Smiley has earned back some respect from me.

Rick 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Agree.  Smiley has earned back some respect from me.

Rick 

Me too! He made a bad mistake but he handled himself like a responsible man should, IMO. Best of luck to him in the future.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Yep, make him work his way back, but if he's better than a SMU games starter then...

If his replacement has, say 3 or 4 catches for 30-50yds and no TD, then you put Smiley back in, for sure.
If his replacement has 5-10 catches for 100+ yds and a TD or two, then Smiley remains on the bench while the replacement gets another start to keep it up... even if during practice Smiley was evaluated as "better".

9 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

The reporting seems to indicate that he hit a parked car or other fixed object (no mention of another driver and Smiley called police himself). He didn't leave the scene of the accident. He could have left a note on the car he hit, left his car, and gone home and reported the next morning to avoid a DWI charge. But he didn't. He stood up and took responsibility for what he did. He called police on himself. He didn't lie about drinking or apparently how much he had (5 beers over a couple of hours would put his BAC at about the level he tears for). He told the officer he shouldn't have been driving. 

Yes, he made the initial mistake but didn't complicate it by hiding his behavior. This is a lesson several posters on here recently demonstrated they haven't learned at a much older age. 

Glad it was only one game. Give this fact set, I may have made it for just the first half of the SMU game. 

Considering the potential impact it may have, DWI, regardless of other details, should be good for a single game... if not more.
Sounds like he had instant remorse, which is good, but he'll need to prove that by keeping himself clean and making better choices BEFORE he goes out drinking from now on.  We'll see.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If his replacement has, say 3 or 4 catches for 30-50yds and no TD, then you put Smiley back in, for sure.
If his replacement has 5-10 catches for 100+ yds and a TD or two, then Smiley remains on the bench while the replacement gets another start to keep it up... even if during practice Smiley was evaluated as "better".

Considering the potential impact it may have, DWI, regardless of other details, should be good for a single game... if not more.
Sounds like he had instant remorse, which is good, but he'll need to prove that by keeping himself clean and making better choices BEFORE he goes out drinking from now on.  We'll see.

It always amuses me how one wants tough punishment for a college kid who did exactly what that guy did when he was in college, except he didn't get caught. 

He didn't hurt anyone. Yes, he could have, but he didn't. You don't punish people for what could have happened. 

These are some of the most honest statements I've ever seen from a DWI suspect. That deserves a reward. Otherwise you just encourage him to lie the next time something goes wrong in his life. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

17 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Hopefully owning up to your mistakes is the new culture here that Littrell has put in place. I would venture to guess that the Kidsy incident(and how he handled it) was discussed with the team. Smiley did the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Kidsy did. The situation was handled quickly the punishment meted out.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

It always amuses me how one wants tough punishment for a college kid who did exactly what that guy did when he was in college, except he didn't get caught. 

He didn't hurt anyone. Yes, he could have, but he didn't. You don't punish people for what could have happened. 

These are some of the most honest statements I've ever seen from a DWI suspect. That deserves a reward. Otherwise you just encourage him to lie the next time something goes wrong in his life. 

Brother, you don't know a thing about me.   Never ever have I ever done that.

My son hasn't been run over when he's cruising around on his bike right down the driveway and into the street either.  But he still gets at least a stern talking to, if not time away from the bike when he does that because of what could have happened.  He's remorseful and knows he's done wrong, but he has to learn.   Same for Mr. Smiley.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

My son hasn't been run over when he's cruising around on his bike right down the driveway and into the street either.  But he still gets at least a stern talking to, if not time away from the bike when he does that because of what could have happened.  He's remorseful and knows he's done wrong, but he has to learn.   Same for Mr. Smiley.

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If you drink alcohol and are over the age of 35, lets just say I doubt what you are saying.

If you don't drink, then by all means rale away at those that do.

But realize that probably more than 80% of the people on this forum have been guilty in their earlier life of doing EXACTLY what Smiley did. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

If you drink alcohol and are over the age of 35, lets just say I doubt what you are saying.

If you don't drink, then by all means rale away at those that do.

But realize that probably more than 80% of the people on this forum have been guilty in their earlier life of doing EXACTLY what Smiley did. 

Opening up a little, I realize I'm in an extreme minority, but I do enjoy a beer or two, a glass of wine or two, but detest liquor, and have never been drunk.    And bonus, as of last week, I qualify as "over 35" too!

I also don't really care if people get drunk, but do so without endangering the lives of others.  I've seen several people mention Uber...  To me, if you know you're going out to get hammered, if you were a responsible human, you would have something like that lined up beforehand.
And if 80% of the people who have done this before think that a 1-game suspension is too much, as you do, then they (you) must not feel as much remorse as Mr. Smiley.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Opening up a little, I realize I'm in an extreme minority, but I do enjoy a beer or two, a glass of wine or two, but detest liquor, and have never been drunk.    And bonus, as of last week, I qualify as "over 35" too!

I also don't really care if people get drunk, but do so without endangering the lives of others.  I've seen several people mention Uber...  To me, if you know you're going out to get hammered, if you were a responsible human, you would have something like that lined up beforehand.
And if 80% of the people who have done this before think that a 1-game suspension is too much, as you do, then they (you) must not feel as much remorse as Mr. Smiley.

See, you completely ignore the fact that Smiley is facing that one game suspension ON TOP of what the criminal justice system mets out as punishment. So ya, the regular college kid gets LESS punishment for this criminal offense than Smiley will endure. 

And no, I don't feel remorse. 

Did you drive after those "couple of glasses of wine?" If so, chances are you were over the legal limit. 

Here is a clue. No one ever thinks they are intoxicated, especially when they are at a .09 or .10. Most think they can function normally, yet are legally drunk. So when you had those two glasses of wine (or the equivalent of 4 to 5 Coors lights because wine has about a 15% alcohol concentration), you may have been exactly at the intoxication level of Smiley. Kinda ironic, dontcha think? 

Also, while its great you are at a station in life where you have the credit to obtain a credit card, many 21 year olds are not, especially if they come from a low socio-economic background. And their parents may not have a credit card, either. Can't get uber or lyft wothout one.

People always think about theyselves when applying their standards to others. Human nature. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6