Army Game

NM Green

Southwest Airlines is having a flash sale and just booked round trip ticket to New York LGA for $135.96 - out late Friday night back Tuesday night.

Great deal and watching the calendar turn to fall should be spectacular in that part of the world.

Go UNT beat Army.  

• Upvote 7

That is a great trip.   We have done it twice and would encourage anyone to do it.   Go up a day early or stay a day later to get a tour of West Point. They do not do tours on game day.    It is well worth your time and effort.   Prior to the game on Saturday mornings the cadets "parade" (I am sure they do not call it that) in their formal uniforms.   That is worth seeing, too.    The game is great and the pageantry is awesome.

• Upvote 1

For those flying to NYC, there's a ferry that leaves the Wall St piers (in Manhattan) and goes directly to West Point. It's super easy and a beautiful ride up the Hudson River (during fall foliage season).

Football + nature stuff + not getting a DUI = ?

They offer a bundle with game tickets included, or boat tickets only: http://seastreak.com/tour-and-event-cruises/west-point-football-game-day-cruise/

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Graham said:

For those flying to NYC, there's a ferry that leaves the Wall St piers (in Manhattan) and goes directly to West Point. It's super easy and a beautiful ride up the Hudson River (during fall foliage season).

Football + nature stuff + not getting a DUI = ?

They offer a bundle with game tickets included, or boat tickets only: http://seastreak.com/tour-and-event-cruises/west-point-football-game-day-cruise/

Great recommendation. Thank you!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

no it most certainly will not

You get off at Peekskill and take a 20 minute cab ride over 202. It's directly on the other side of the Hudson. 13.7 miles from the Peekskill station.

Family lived in the Hudson Valley for a couple of years in Beacon, nice try.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

You get off at Peekskill and take a 20 minute cab ride over 202. It's directly on the other side of the Hudson. 13.7 miles from the Peekskill station.

Family lived in the Hudson Valley for a couple of years in Beacon, nice try.

so your definition of "will take you there" is +/- a half marathon?

for people making their first trip to the area, my bet is they're already a bit overwhelmed by New York City and figuring out the public transportation and how to maneuver about in Grand Central. telling them that this train "will take you to West Point" is incredibly misleading.

now had you said "you can take a train from NYC to a point more or less directly across the Hudson from West Point and then take about $50 worth of taxis to and from" we never would've had to engage one another here...and both would've been grateful for it.

Beacon is a lovely town. I've a good friend there and have visited many times. Dia is one of my favorite museum spaces in all the world.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

for people making their first trip to the area, my bet is they're already a bit overwhelmed by New York City and figuring out the public transportation and how to maneuver about in Grand Central. telling them that this train "will take you to West Point" is incredibly misleading.

now had you said "you can take a train from NYC to a point more or less directly across the Hudson from West Point and then take about $50 worth of taxis to and from" we never would've had to engage one another here...and both would've been grateful for it.

Beacon is a lovely town. I've a good friend there and have visited many times. Dia is one of my favorite museum spaces in all the world.

What you really want to do is hope it rains.  That way, you can hop on a Unicorn at the Atlantic Ave Terminal in Brooklyn, and ride the rainbow directly to your seat at Michie.

I've ridden Unicorns before, nice try.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Fair enough. Being from Houston, my, uh, concept of what's close and what's far is whack.

I loved visiting Beacon. They weren't happy there so left, and moved back to the south. Loved being an hour away from NYC on any given day. Beacon is a fun little town though, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2016 at 1:24 PM, baberuthbomber8 said:

If you go during the actual school week as well, you can see them do the sky-diving as well in prepping for the opening of the game.

My brother used to be the coach of the ARMY Golden Knights!   They are a talented group of Cadets and very fun to watch.  I had the privilege of jumping with them once as well.   An intense crew to say the least.

As for the trip definitely well worth it!   a great stadium atmosphere, great tradition and a beautiful campus.   

Be careful on that train though... I picked it up once in NYC and at the station I got the special opportunity to witness what can only be described as a rumble...  followed quickly by the police coming in and all 8-10 of the guys involved hauling ass out the other door of the station.   entertaining to say the least! 

http://www.thepodhotel.com/

I am using points for a Sheraton in Tribeca (family trip for my daughter's senior year conveniently planned to coincide with this game) but I have heard good things about this hotel. Hotels are pricey and most rooms are pretty small, whether they advertise it or not. This one promotes itself as having small rooms but a decent social scene and price. Other than this, my company is based near MSG so I stay in Hilton and Starwood family hotels from 29th to 41st. Hampton, Homewood Suites, Four Points and Element can be reasonably priced depending on the time of year, in a good location, but my definition of reasonable depends on whether I can expense my stay or not.

Go to Tavalo for Italian at an OK for NY price, 488 9th Avenue. http://www.tavolahellskitchen.com/lunch.pdf

GMG

• Upvote 1