QB Question and Opinions

Shanbour however, would've had to go through somewhat of a rivals murderer's row of quarterbacks. Whereas Baker had to beat out a true-freshman 21st ranked pro-style qb. Shanbour would've had to beat out a senior 34th ranked dual-threat qb, a sophomore 7th ranked pro-style quarterback, a junior 4th ranked dual-threat qb, Arizona transfer Daxx Garman, and possibly juco transfer Cody Peterson and walkon Jase Chilcoat.

Thank you.  You are making my point for me.  Shanbour hasn't had that kind of talent ahead of him on the UNT roster for three seasons, and he still hasn't seen the field.  Explain that one.

The point was, Morris had much more talented QBs ahead of him at Alabama than any of the other QBs who have transferred in here the past three/four years combined. 

As it is, Shanbour hasn't even been able to beat out even the thin talent here for three seasons; he hadn't a snowball's chance in hell at Oklahoma State.  But, there has been no difference in his playing time, here or there, has there? 

And, am I reading the injury stuff above correctly - out a year with turf toe?

Come on, folks.    

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Shanbour however, would've had to go through somewhat of a rivals murderer's row of quarterbacks. Whereas Baker had to beat out a true-freshman 21st ranked pro-style qb. Shanbour would've had to beat out a senior 34th ranked dual-threat qb, a sophomore 7th ranked pro-style quarterback, a junior 4th ranked dual-threat qb, Arizona transfer Daxx Garman, and possibly juco transfer Cody Peterson and walkon Jase Chilcoat.

Thank you.  You are making my point for me.  Shanbour hasn't had that kind of talent ahead of him on the UNT roster for three seasons, and he still hasn't seen the field.  Explain that one.

The point was, Morris had much more talented QBs ahead of him at Alabama than any of the other QBs who have transferred in here the past three/four years combined.  As it is, Shanbour hasn't even been able to beat out the the thin talent here for three seasons.  

Come on, folks.    

He was injured in 2014.  Last year, with that staff who the F knows.  The limited opportunities we saw him, he seemed better than McNutty and Greer.  Smith seemed to have lots of physical talent, but evidently had other issues.  With what appears to be a clean bill of health for a full spring he goes from nowhere to #2 on the depth chart.  Not exactly terrible.  The staff seemed to have zero issue running off Smith.  Maybe they felt comfortable knowing they had Morris and Shanbour and Smith became expendable.

Just glad that we have at least 2 guys that appear to be upgrades from last season.  Hopefully the O'Hara will add more depth or maybe Means/Chumley step up.  We need all we can get.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

As it is, Shanbour hasn't even been able to beat out even the thin talent here for three seasons; he hadn't a snowball's chance in hell at Oklahoma State.  But, there has been no difference in his playing time, here or there, has there? 

I just can't read too much into how the QB depth chart played out the last few years. Not with that staff.

the new staff should wipe the slate clean and give everyone an equal look.

did I read this correctly, @MGNation92,  that Shanbour was easily the best in the spring game?

Edited by greenminer

27 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I just can't read too much into how the QB depth chart played out the last few years. Not with that staff.

the new staff should wipe the slate clean and give everyone an equal look.

did I read this correctly, @MGNation92,  that Shanbour was easily the best in the spring game?

They did give everyone a clean slate, and here was there result, Harrell on Morris: "We expect him to have a good fall camp. And if he does, then I'd expect he could be the starter easily around here."

Easily.  As in, 'don't get hurt, and you're in; we've got nowhere else to go.'

• Downvote 3

One benefit with both Morris and Shanbour is that they are older players.  Both of these players graduated in 2012.  Shanbour has an extra year of eligibility because he went to prep school in the Fall of 2012 instead of enrolling in school.  They should both be pretty mature when compared to most of the players on the team.

1 minute ago, TreeFiddy said:

One benefit with both Morris and Shanbour is that they are older players.  Both of these players graduated in 2012.  Shanbour has an extra year of eligibility because he went to prep school in the Fall of 2012 instead of enrolling in school.  They should both be pretty mature when compared to most of the players on the team.

Agree.  And, a ton more mature than the cast of characters at QB in 2014 and 2015. 

We need them both to be leaders off the field.  Example setters.  We didn't have that in 2014 or 2015,and it culminated in the 66-7 loss to Portland State.

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I would say so. The stats also agree with me:

Morris 261 yds 3 TD's 2 INT's

Shanbour 315 yds 3 TD's 1 Rushing TD(not to mention probably 40-50 rushing yards)

From what I saw I would say it was basically a wash. Morris made some really nice throws to go along with a couple of bonehead tosses, and Shanbour seemed a little more consistent and clearly more mobile. I'm betting that Shanbour will have to be clearly superior in August to even have a chance of getting the nod against SMU.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

The point was, Morris had much more talented QBs ahead of him at Alabama than any of the other QBs who have transferred in here the past three/four years combined. 

Come on, folks.    

Two reasons Mac wouldn't give the kid a snowball's chance and you are well aware of his inability to eye qb talent.

7b7af0315e880a47295a481b64d526ded0b223a0

miowa.gif

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Two reasons Mac wouldn't give the kid a snowball's chance and you are well aware of his inability to eye qb talent.

Good point, I would basically say.. with the exception of Chumley and Means, that any QB that crossed paths with Mac should start off with a clean slate. Mac and Co. biggest failure, started with the production of QB's out on the field. Plus the two worst QB's in North Texas history were starters or 2nd string backup during the cluster F of a season last year. 

Our only hope was Demarcus Smith, for somewhat of a horribly "earn the respect of not going 0-12" season. And he finally touched the field when Mac collected RV's retirement check/gift and was long gone. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Come on, folks.    

Shanbour was a walk-on and, as I understand it, has been here two years not three.  He was basically out for the year with turf toe last year.  I noticed you made fun of that injury.  Have you ever experienced this type of condition?  Depending on the grade of the injury, this can be terribly debilitating. 263742869.gif?287

Just put the best player on he field.

• Upvote 2

I completely understand where Mailbox is coming from. However, considering the previous staff's assessment of the QB position, you would have to throw all of that out the window. I personally think very little separates Morris/Shanbour/O'Hara and any of the 3 will struggle to lead this team to wins next year....

When I first observed Shanbour (spring 2014) he was participating in one of the QB warm up exercises that they did every day in spring ball. The other participants were McNulty, Williams, Greer, Means, Wells and the kid from Argyle (#13).  At that time I could only rate/assess how he released the ball and his arm strength. At the time I thought he had the quickest release and his arm was almost as strong as Williams. I couldn't understand why he wasn't given any reps during 11 on 11 drills at the end of practices. I didn't find out why until the next year when I sat with two guys that identified themselves as "volunteer coaches" who were writing down the stats of all the QB's in drills. One of them told me that he came to NT (from OSU) suffering with turf toe and that's why he didn't get any reps the year before. The same coach told me he was the smartest QB of the group, which explains why every new QB on the squad was turned over to him to coach them in the basics.

From the very beginning I have always advocated that he just be given an even chance, which didn't happen until the new coaching staff came in. The results were more impressive than I thought they would be. I didn't know he could move around so good until this spring. I had the occasion to talk with him this spring and he told me that "turf toe" was the main reason he left Ok. St. and transferred to NT. 

So he has the quickest release on the team, he's probably the smartest QB on the team, and now we know he can make some noticeable yards with his feet. He put up 315 yards and three TD's in the spring game. And some people dismiss him because he was not given a chance by the previous coaching staff that thought Greer/McNulty might have been the answer? 

Let me remind everyone that Casey Fitzgerald didn't get his chance until his senior year when a different coaching staff had a chance to assess him (Dickey vs Dodge). 

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

How many you really think Shanbour was given a chance to compete for the job, if you do I  have oceanfront property for sale  in AZ.

Not much. I think he came in and lit up the spring game and opened a few eyes to his abilities including the coaching staff. I think Littrell and Co. put themselves between a rock and hard place by naming Morris the de-facto starter before really evaluating everyone over a spring/fall. I trust them to make the best decision for the team, and I would not be surprised if it was Shanbour. 

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 2

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Not much. I think he came in and lit up the spring game and opened a few eyes to his abilities including the coaching staff. I think Littrell and Co. put themselves between a rock and hard place by naming Morris the de-facto starter before really evaluating everyone over a spring/fall. I trust them to make the best decision for the team, and I would not be surprised if it was Shanbour. 

I'm not saying in any way that promises were made, but people do make promises sometimes. I'm sure that any promises can also be broken if it's not a close call.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Shanbour was a walk-on and, as I understand it, has been here two years not three.  He was basically out for the year with turf toe last year.  I noticed you made fun of that injury.  Have you ever experienced this type of condition?  Depending on the grade of the injury, this can be terribly debilitating. 263742869.gif?287

Just put the best player on he field.

Ah yes, here we go: 
Turf-Toe.jpg

• Downvote 2

Hmmm.  I wonder if a shorter quarterback might have to get up on his toes a time or two to, kind of, see what's happening downfield?

Also, I just have a few additional questions for the Size Doesn't Matter/Look At Doug Flutie When Linemen Weighed Only 250-270 crew: 
-Wasn't Doug Flutie on scholarship at Boston College from the get go?
-Didn't Flutie take over the starting job at Boston College midway through his freshman year?
-During his fifth year out of high school, wasn't Flutie already in the pros?

The answer to all of these questions is, yes.  Other than shortness, then, there really is no other similarity, football-wise, between Flutie and Shanbour, is there?

And, on top of all of that, Shanbour isn't even a short as Flutie anyway!  What a crock of a comparison!  Taller by an inch or two, and still not doing the things Flutie was doing!

KA-POW!

power-wheels-wheelie.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

6 hours ago, Aldo said:

Also, Shanbour came out, what, 20-30 pounds heavier from HS than Fine? We can't expect Fine to gain 20-30 pounds. Maybe 10-15.

I'm ok with Fine at 5'10" and 180-190 pounds in CUSA. I'm ok with Shanbour at 6' (or whatever) and 200-210lbs. 

I had no problem packing on 20-30 pounds my Freshman year...

• Upvote 2