Reports out that Art Briles will be fired at 11 am

Harry

35 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Look for a scramble to fill the position:

Doug Meacham

Sonny Cumbie

Lincoln Riley

Tom Herman

AND Baylor will only have summer practice to install new terminology, plays, staff, etc. This puts them in a REAL bind. 

Pretty sure it's gonna be Tom Herman or bust for Baylor.

31 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Why would Tom Herman leave Houston for the dumpster fire Baylor is about to become? He'll have his pick of any open job in the country.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Why would Tom Herman leave Houston for the dumpster fire Baylor is about to become? He'll have his pick of any open job in the country.

There is too much talent on that roster for most coaches to pass on. The NCAA will drag their feet on any probation, scholarship reductions, post season bans, etc...  Plus Baylor has the funds to money whip him into saying yes. 

2 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

There is too much talent on that roster for most coaches to pass on. The NCAA will drag their feet on any probation, scholarship reductions, post season bans, etc...  Plus Baylor has the funds to money whip him into saying yes. 

I believe the NCAA got its hand slapped for its involvement in the Penn State penalties it assessed, so I doubt the NCAA gets involved with Baylor.

6 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

He's getting paid very nicely at UH. Why take such a huge risk going to Baylor when he could go to another school in 2017 that would pay him much more?

There is no guarantee that UH will be successful in 2016 If they aren't then it would reduce his appeal in 2017. Coaches are hot one year and then not the next. Strike while the iron is hot in a no lose situation. If Baylor is sanctioned then he has a built in excuse as to why he isn't successful all the while collecting a hefty paycheck. If he IS successful in the face of sanctions then he can parlay that into even more money as a coach who can succeed under dire circumstances.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I believe that even Mike Leach got paid from Tech, didn't he?

Everyone with a decent attorney/agent gets paid when they are fired.  For f*ck sake, Charlie Weiss was still outearning almost every coach in the NCAA last year...just off of what Notre Dame was still paying him:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/05/19/charlie-weis-is-still-getting-paid-even-though-he-was-fired-by-notre-dame-in-2009/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I believe the NCAA got its hand slapped for its involvement in the Penn State penalties it assessed, so I doubt the NCAA gets involved with Baylor.

Agreed. The only thing Baylor could be concerned about would be the "lack of institutional control" for protecting football players from rape allegations and charges. It will be tough after the Penn State situation but it's the NCAA so ANYTHING is possible.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

There is too much talent on that roster for most coaches to pass on. The NCAA will drag their feet on any probation, scholarship reductions, post season bans, etc...  Plus Baylor has the funds to money whip him into saying yes

They sure do.

Let alone the 1-2 punch they would deliver to Houston's chances of getting into the Big12.  Houston losing Herman would be a big blow.

Fertitta (like Papa John at Louisville) is able to single-handedly money-whip at the G5 level, but his pockets can't compete with Baylor's.

• Upvote 3

I have to say that this cynical old man (who dislikes Baylor a lot) is VERY SURPRISED. I didn't think that Baylor would ever pull the trigger on Briles. I thought for sure that their AD would end up being the sacrificial lamb on this case. I thought that the investigation that they paid for with be a white wash and a cover up. I'm going to grudgingly give the Baylor administrators an "atta boy" on this one.

Did I mention grudgingly?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I have to say that this cynical old man (who dislikes Baylor a lot) is VERY SURPRISED. I didn't think that Baylor would ever pull the trigger on Briles. I thought for sure that their AD would end up being the sacrificial lamb on this case. I thought that the investigation that they paid for with be a white wash and a cover up. I'm going to grudgingly give the Baylor administrators an "atta boy" on this one.

Did I mention grudgingly?

I'm not so surprised.  One of the Board members of a hospital we insured was a Baylor alum and huge booster.  He was a very straight shooter. 

I'm of the mind that many of the old Baylor money, like him, are surprised by what has happened down there and, behind the scenes, made enough noise to say, "Not here, stop it now or the money is gone."

The question to me is how this extends to other programs.  For example, OU has the kid on their roster who broke the female student's face.  The Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled two weeks ago that the video is public record, after the Oklahoma press had been repeatedly rebuffed by a Norman judge and the city's D.A. - both OU grads.

You wonder what will happen when the video goes public.  It is said to be very Ray Rice-like.  OU's president, AD, and head coach went together to view the video with the D.A.  The kid was given an Alford plea and OU basically redshirted him his freshman year as punishment.  It has looked like a whitewash from the beginning, with the D.A.'s office and judge doing all they can to stall the Oklahoma press.

The reality is, we are in an era where people are (rightfully) torqued up about violence against women.  And, it is dovetailing with what was an already growing sentiment that athletes were getting away with too much.

Accountability is becoming the new norm in athletics.  So, again, I'm not surprised by Baylor's moves.  Social media has now made it possible for local scandals to become national scandals pretty quickly.  Baylor is paying for it.  Other athletic departments should heed the circumstances.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 5

It looks like Briles only has 8 years left on his recent contract extension at about $6mm per.  Think the Baylor 17 are pumped?  Based on my past dealings with Baylorites, I am sure they will quickly turn on Briles and try to pay him $0.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/15745318/baylor-bears-dismiss-football-coach-art-briles

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

It looks like Briles only has 8 years left on his recent contract extension at about $6mm per.  Think the Baylor 17 are pumped?  Based on my past dealings with Baylorites, I am sure they will quickly turn on Briles and try to pay him $0.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/15745318/baylor-bears-dismiss-football-coach-art-briles

If Baylor fires Briles with cause they won't have to pay a dime.

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I'm not so surprised.  One of the Board members of a hospital we insured was a Baylor alum and huge booster.  He was a very straight shooter. 

I'm of the mind that many of the old Baylor money, like him, are surprised by what has happened down there and, behind the scenes, made enough noise to say, "Not here, stop it now or the money is gone."

The question to me is how this extends to other programs.  For example, OU has the kid on their roster who broke the female student's face.  The Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled two weeks ago that the video is public record, after the Oklahoma press had been repeatedly rebuffed by a Norman judge and the city's D.A. - both OU grads.

You wonder what will happen when the video goes public.  It is said to be very Ray Rice-like.  OU's president, AD, and head coach went together to view the video with the D.A.  The kid was given an Alford plea and OU basically redshirted him his freshman year as punishment.  It has looked like a whitewash from the beginning, with the D.A.'s office and judge doing all they can to stall the Oklahoma press.

The reality is, we are in an era where people are (rightfully) torqued up about violence against women.  And, it is dovetailing with what was an already growing sentiment that athletes were getting away with too much.

Accountability is becoming the new norm in athletics.  So, again, I'm not surprised by Baylor's moves.  Social media has now made it possible for local scandals to become national scandals pretty quickly.  Baylor is paying for it.  Other athletic departments should heed the circumstances.

Well, I've always regarded Baylor alums as a bunch of pulpit-pounding self-righteous jerks. But in this case, they are (morally) putting their money where their self-righteous mouths are. 

How's that for a very back handed compliment?

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

Now THAT would really send a message!

Just curious, has any other "Big time" coach ever been fired with no buy out?

Bobby Petrino given he was caught in an extramarital affair, the young lady who he hired to work on his staff.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

This report (gets pretty juicy on page 10) pretty much left no doubt that the HC had to go.  I don't see how Starr and the AD will be able to hang on for long.

http://www.baylor.edu/rtsv/doc.php/266596.pdf

The section about the football program that starts on page 10 refers to coaches and staff in the plural form.  There were several people involved in this.  Art Briles was not the only one covering this up.  I think there will be more dismissals when they find out how far this cover up went. 

"In addition, some football coaches and staff took improper steps in response to disclosures of sexual assault or dating violence that precluded the University from fulfilling its legal obligations."
"The choices made by football staff and athletics leadership, in some instances, posed a risk to campus safety and the integrity of the University."
"...athletics and football personnel affirmatively chose not to report sexual violence and dating violence to an appropriate administrator outside of athletics."
"As a result, some football coaches and staff abdicated responsibilities under Title IX and Clery; to student welfare; to the health and safety of complainants; and to Baylor’s institutional values."

The report continues about the failures of their discipline program and many people must be involved in that to know what was going on too.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm betting the "suspend with intent to terminate" just means: "We need time to go ask our boosters for money to negotiate a buyout."

Maybe, but legalese language makes me wonder if they intend to fire for cause. They might end up paying something, but might be looking at $0 as their starting point...

4 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I bet Briles knows about a skeleton or two that might be worth at least a few dimes.

Couldn't someone make a case that Briles hid certain things from key administrators thus putting the university at risk of violating federal laws or statutes? Seems worthy of firing him with cause, which means he doesn't walk away with big bags full of cash.

I can't imagine many people being happy with him being paid to walk away given the severity of the crimes involved.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1