Renew Your Tickets

Aldo

18 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I can go you one better.  They didn't even bother taking my parking pass when I entered the lot for the last two or three games last year.  Like "Nah, ain't nobody coming, don't bother."

I will continue to purchase tickets and keep my seats so long as I live in Texas, and probably even thereafter should I relocate.

I will not, however, sit idly by and pretend everything is unicorns and rainbows and that simply by virtue of throwing on a green polo shirt and receiving a paycheck from the University of North Texas is somebody infallible and deserving of my undying support.

I would add that North Texas needs more fans of every kind. Diehard fans, just happy to be here fans, "T-shirt" fans, big money donor fans, Spiriki MGC fans, walk up ticket buying fans, casual fans, etc...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Army of Dad said:

I would add that North Texas needs more fans of every kind. Diehard fans, just happy to be here fans, "T-shirt" fans, big money donor fans, Spiriki MGC fans, walk up ticket buying fans, casual fans, etc...

Eugene Levy Scrappy fans?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

37 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I have historically found some North Texas fans aggressively intolerant of casual fans, first time fans, t-shirt fans, or anybody else who isn't the "right" kind of fan.  This has improved over the years, but there's still work to be done.

I recall back in the Fouts days that somebody saw some random guy bringing his young son to a UNT game, photographing him, and publicly shaming him on this board for daring to attend a UNT football game with a USC shirt on.  

That mentality does not invite new people to attend games.  At all.  

But I reiterate, it has gotten considerably better since Apogee opened.  Had I never found this message board, I would most certainly have been one and done back in 2008.  The tailgating and overall experience was unwelcoming at best, hostile at more accurate.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I have "historically" ..(and my history only goes back 29 years) found NT fans to be of the kindest, most accepting sort I know.  

1988, met one on a bus who turns out to be one of my closest friends to this day and our families spent a week together in Seattle last summer.

1999, met another who invited countless other to his home for a North Texas event.

1999, Met another at a tailgate who invited countless others to take a trip to Lubbock together.

2000, Met another who insisted on my wife, child and I stay at his home while visiting on vacation for the week.

2001, Met another while standing in a line in New Orleans whose friendship grew to the point we went into business together a year later and remain close friends to this day.

2005, I've seen countless NT fans hosting, feeding and serving fans from many other schools.  Even going so far as to drag a 10,000 lb smoker 12 hours to do this for the opposing teams' fans,...and getting invited back anytime again.

...and I could cite countless other examples on and on and on.

I've traveled to sporting events from coast to coast. And I guess if you look hard enough you can find someone getting slighted about something around every corner.  But thru my 3 decade-old experiences the Mean Green Nation as a whole is powerfully one of the most good-natured and kind-hearted collections of sports-based folks I have experienced so far.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

21 hours ago, greenjoe said:

"If they..." or 'When they..." or "Not until they..."  We don't need anymore of those people. 

Wrong.  We desperately need every single person we can get.   There are something close to 300,000 living alumni according to a study that the College of Business paid for.  How many of them give to the MGC?  Around 1000.  

Less than one percent of alumni, less than one half of of one percent of alumni.  Let's be frank, not a single one of them owe the athletics program anything.  They may owe something to the college or program that gave them the skills they used to be successful in life, but not athletics.  Why would they feel like they need to give when the school itself always downplayed athletics?

The drop down to 1AA, the refusal to upgrade facilities, the flat out hostility to giving in the first place where all signals from the school that they didn't really think that highly of athletics, so why should most alumni?  When you add in our records in the major sports, its really only the unreasonable die hards that are left.   Even then we lose some of the old guard every year.  Believe me, sitting in my club seats during the Portland State game, I really began to wonder if maybe College of Engineering couldn't make better use of that money.

President Smatresk's action have given me a lot of hope.  I think he may be the first president since Norval Pohl to not only give lip service to athletics, but to actually back it up with his time and political clout.    If the school takes athletics seriously, so will more alumni.  Our alumni base is one of our biggest strengths, if we are ever going to be successful we are going to have to mobilize them.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Wrong.  We desperately need every single person we can get.   There are something close to 300,000 living alumni according to a study that the College of Business paid for.  How many of them give to the MGC?  Around 1000.  

Less than one percent of alumni, less than one half of of one percent of alumni.  Let's be frank, not a single one of them owe the athletics program anything.  They may owe something to the college or program that gave them the skills they used to be successful in life, but not athletics.  Why would they feel like they need to give when the school itself always downplayed athletics?

The drop down to 1AA, the refusal to upgrade facilities, the flat out hostility to giving in the first place where all signals from the school that they didn't really think that highly of athletics, so why should most alumni?  When you add in our records in the major sports, its really only the unreasonable die hards that are left.   Even then we lose some of the old guard every year.  Believe me, sitting in my club seats during the Portland State game, I really began to wonder if maybe College of Engineering couldn't make better use of that money.

President Smatresk's action have given me a lot of hope.  I think he may be the first president since Norval Pohl to not only give lip service to athletics, but to actually back it up with his time and political clout.    If the school takes athletics seriously, so will more alumni.  Our alumni base is one of our biggest strengths, if we are ever going to be successful we are going to have to mobilize them.  

I agree with this, but I think GreenJoe may have been talking about people who profess to be 'die-hard' fans (I would consider anyone on this board one of those) who are lollygagging with their season ticket purchase because they want to see <XYZ> happen first.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

not only give lip service to athletics, but to actually back it up with his time and political clout.

Over about two year span, we'll have fired the AD, the FB coach, the WBB coach, and possibly the MBB coach. Anyone else?

I finally feel like we are moving forward, at least in the sense of accountability.

While this thread was originally for the "I'll donate when he gets fired" folks, we do need anyone and everyone to become new members or come back.

Some it will take a FB coach firing. Others it will take an AD firing. Others it will take a new AD. Others it will take all of the above and then winning.

We're not Ash and we can't catch 'em all, but we (as in, we the school, not we the fans) have got to stop alienating, and move into the 21st century in bringing in folks.

Worst FBS program in the state in terms of donors and fundraising is unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I agree with this, but I think GreenJoe may have been talking about people who profess to be 'die-hard' fans (I would consider anyone on this board one of those) who are lollygagging with their season ticket purchase because they want to see <XYZ> happen first.   

We need them too.  We need everyone who we can possibly get to just hold on for one more year, or just try going to a single game first.   We need 'em, we need that cold hard cash.  This is how our new AD needs to feel about every single donor, even if they are only giving $25.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I like this idea.  With name tags that have both our screen name and our real name. 

I have one somewhere and have been meaning to look for it. Back in the Fouts days many of us had tags made and wore them. I went to a sign shop and had it engraved; it attached with a magnetic backing. I have been intending to do this this year...thanks for reminding me.

On June 8, 2016 at 1:47 PM, greenjoe said:

I like this idea.  With name tags that have both our screen name and our real name. 

This idea has been floated before. 

I like women and want them to like me. Therefore, this is a TERRIBLE idea.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

On 6/9/2016 at 1:35 PM, MeanGreen22 said:

Anyone know when single game tickets go on sale? I would love to get season tickets but:

a) I know I won't go to every home game

and

b) I'm still a new alumni and loan payments ain't cheap 

On game days, walking up and buying tickets is a breeze over by the Victory Circle entrance (Gate 04).

Also, John Williams offers up decent packages every year, including beer.

Until Apogee starts recording sellouts, why don't we invite even more nearby schools to the games, and not just elementary kids but middle schoolers and high schoolers who are starting to think about what they want to do and where they want to go after grade school. It may be a little embarrassing almost giving away thousands of tickets just to fill seats six years into a new stadium, but hell:

1. Selling the ticket at just $5/kid is still better than half the stadium being empty.

2. That's more concession money and first-timers are more likely to buy Mean Green gear.

3. Kids are loud.

Even if we just did this for a year, and then after that as the team improved, we pushed just one of the home games for future students like we do now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, THOR said:

When is the deadline to renew? I'm gonna reup...but...justvwaiting...thanks

I believe the "drop dead date" is Thursday, June 30. It wouldn't hurt to cheat up a day or two as an abundance of caution. Administration could go from SNAFU to total chaos later next week. Not saying I expect that...I would just hedge my bet if I were you.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2