Not Litrell's Fault But This Has To End.

8 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Outside of Perry, none of the coaches really recruited. Mac had a staff that was old and on their last legs, they were cashing in checks and didn't care other than to coach. There's a reason Perry was the only coach retained. He's the only one who was a complete coach, and a good recruiter to boot

I think KP was going to be brought back as well before he ended up leaving for Tech.

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

To this day, I read about the recruiting issues and can't figure out what was going on. Did Mac not build relationships with high school coaches?

12 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Outside of Perry, none of the coaches really recruited. Mac had a staff that was old and on their last legs, they were cashing in checks and didn't care other than to coach. There's a reason Perry was the only coach retained. He's the only one who was a complete coach, and a good recruiter to boot

Don't buy the age excuse.  You're not going to convince me Mac didn't have the energy, unless you say he spent too much of it trying to say IOWA in front of Hank and George.

Rumor mill is that he just assumed recruits would come to him, and actively instructed some of the coaches to focus on other, non-recruiting related duties.

Of course, that's just water cooler talk and I don't know how much truth there is to the situation.  In any case, their recruiting "efforts" were not effective.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

Wouldn't say hasn't done anything...last I heard he was top 10 in the country for tackles and the top Freshman (by a lot) in tackles. His 10 Saturday didn't lead the team  but is respectable.

The post was in May, before the season began.

Also, we were one of 126 FBS schools that didn't offer him, so...congratulations.  The blind squirrel does find a nut here and there.

People here get a little excited, though and forget that the leading rushers were recruited by the old staff, all the receivers in double digits for receptions so far were recruited by the old staff, ditto the kicker and punter...

...as well as the majority of defensive:  five of the six interceptions have come courtesy of players recruited by the old staff, as well as the top seven leading tacklers on the team; of the 14 sacks registered, 10 have come from players recruited by the old staff.

What the old staff couldn't do was get a decent QB.  They also couldn't get the defense right. 

The old staff recruited well just about everywhere except QB.  Even their OLs seem to do just fine run blocking. 

The new staff is full of excellent defensive coaches, and that is the main difference.  They also have found a QB who can complete less than 60% of his passes, average less than 180 yards passing a game, but still manage the game well...like the senior year Derek Thompson.

So, congratulations for the LB 126 other schools looked past, ours from roughly the same time period - Courtney Finney and Brandon Garner - are doing just fine.

What other players that had no other FBS scholarship offers would you like to brag about, while you are here?  Your school's roster has as many as ours.  Some work out, some don't.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

3 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Also, we were one of 126 FBS schools that didn't offer him, so...congratulations.  The blind squirrel does find a nut here and there.

People here get a little excited, though and forget that the leading rushers were recruited by the old staff, all the receivers in double digits for receptions so far were recruited by the old staff, ditto the kicker and punter...

...as well as the majority of defensive:  five of the six interceptions have come courtesy of players recruited by the old staff, as well as the top seven leading tacklers on the team; of the 14 sacks registered, 10 have come from players recruited by the old staff.

What the old staff couldn't do was get a decent QB.  They also couldn't get the defense right. 

The old staff recruited well just about everywhere except QB.  Even their OLs seem to do just fine run blocking. 

The new staff is full of excellent defensive coaches, and that is the main difference.  They also have found a QB who can complete less than 60% of his passes, average less than 180 yards passing a game, but still manage the game well...like the senior year Derek Thompson.

So, congratulations for the LB 126 other schools looked past, ours from roughly the same time period - Courtney Finney and Brandon Garner - are doing just fine.

What other players that had no other FBS scholarship offers would you like to brag about, while you are here?  Your school's roster has as many as ours.  Some work out, some don't.

I'm not bragging, pointing out an incorrect statement. Unless your a headphone wearing coach on Saturdays in the sky box calling plays, you didnt recruite anyone and are a STH scrub like the rest of us and none of us can "brag" because we didnt do anything. Apparently, truth to you is UNT is the presumptive national champion every year and fields a roster of All Stars that are can't miss NFL prospects and everybody, every team, every fan, game, statistic, outcome, recruiting class, facility, coach, degree, fan, player, cheerleader, waterboy, prospect,  tailgater and news article that doesn't agree with you is biased dog shit looking for a fight. Good grief.

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Jesus, what part of he had other G5 offers do you not understand? His older brother played at UTEP and they offered him. He also took a visit to Colorado St. and was deciding between them and UTSA prior to committing. 

Not to mention the fact that a recruit shouldn't be solely evaluated on whether he has other offers or not. Especially if they're right in your backyard. That's just lazy.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, correcamino said:

Jesus, what part of he had other G5 offers do you not understand? His older brother played at UTEP and they offered him. He also took a visit to Colorado St. and was deciding between them and UTSA prior to committing. 

Not to mention the fact that a recruit shouldn't be solely evaluated on whether he has other offers or not. Especially if they're right in your backyard. That's just lazy.

"Lazy" got us Kishawn McClain, Jeffrey Wilson, Willy Ivery, Eric Keena, Cortney Finney, James Gray, Brandon Garner, Jareid Combs, Nate Brooks, Fred Scott, Trevor Moore, Terian Goree, Thaddeous Thompson, Kenny Buyers, Creighton Barr, Chad Davis, Roderick Young, T.J. Tauaalo, etc.

So, again...congrats on beating UTEP's offer and 125 other FBS schools who didn't offer.  We've got the players we need, and now have the defensive coaches to put them in a successful scheme and a QB who plays, for the most part, mistake free. 

In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't tennis; it's a team sport.  The team was never going to be made or broken by one kid whose family got their feelings hurt because we already had enough linebackers and, so, wouldn't suck up to their little boy.  Get over it.  We're not hurting at linebacker. 

Our linebackers are driving what is a pretty decent defense this year...as you'll soon see live and in person.

Hear me now, believe me later.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

"Lazy" got us Kishawn McClain, Jeffrey Wilson, Willy Ivery, Eric Keena, Cortney Finney, James Gray, Brandon Garner, Jareid Combs, Nate Brooks, Fred Scott, Trevor Moore, Terian Goree, Thaddeous Thompson, Kenny Buyers, Creighton Barr, Chad Davis, Roderick Young, T.J. Tauaalo, etc.

So, again...congrats on beating UTEP's offer and 125 other FBS schools who didn't offer.  We've got the players we need, and now have the defensive coaches to put them in a successful scheme and a QB who plays, for the most part, mistake free. 

In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't tennis; it's a team sport.  The team was never going to be made or broken by one kid whose family got their feelings hurt because we already had enough linebackers and, so, wouldn't suck up to their little boy.  Get over it.  We're not hurting at linebacker. 

Our linebackers are driving what is a pretty decent defense this year...as you'll soon see live and in person.

Pretty ironic that you talk about it being a team game yet post names of select individuals to support your claim that your recruiting was fine.

Its almost as if you haven't looked at conference standings or recruiting rankings the past couple of years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

13 hours ago, correcamino said:

Pretty ironic that you talk about it being a team game yet post names of select individuals to support your claim that your recruiting was fine.

Its almost as if you haven't looked at conference standings or recruiting rankings the past couple of years. 

No.  I included whole sets of names to show that he prior staff recruited well at positions other than QB, to the point where we were not hurting for LBs.  Turns out they had a couple of decent DTs who are doing well with the new coaching staff.

Sorry that you - and some of our fans - are butthurt that we took other kids, not the one from Lake Dallas.  We are good to go with Finney, Garner, Scott, and others.  So, enjoy your pickup...you obviously needed him more than we did.  We're 3-3 without him, you all might not be 3-3 if you didn't have him. 

So, count your blessings that we already had enough LBs when he was being recruited...by you all and UTEP.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, correcamino said:

Its well known Mac's effort at recruiting was lazy.  Sure...some of the kids he did bring in we're going to turn out as quality players.  But at one point..can't recall which year it was...Vitto asked a question at some charity event where all the Denton schools were represented and found out that Mac was just then meeting two of the three or so head coaches in Denton...I want to say this was in 2013, but don't hold me to it.

He allowed numerous coaches to get away without having to recruit.  This is specifically why I asked Littrell back in June how many of his coaches would be required to recruit and he didn't hesitate to say.."All of them!".

Thankfully those days are gone.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2016 at 9:37 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

All 18 of them? You listed 18 players with 2 of them being kickers. That tells me we don't have the players we need. Also, Buyers fell in Mac's lap after he transferred from Air Force to be closer to home.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

All 18 of them? You listed 18 players with 2 of them being kickers. That tells me we don't have the players we need. Also, Buyers fell in Mac's lap after he transferred from Air Force to be closer to home.

So, McCarney and his coaches didn't recruit these players?  They just showed up in August of each year and asked to be on the team...on a whim?

Or, McCarney got lucky...at least 18 times?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

So, McCarney and his coaches didn't recruit these players?  They just showed up in August of each year and asked to be on the team...on a whim?

Or, McCarney got lucky...at least 18 times?

They did recruit those players, except for Buyers. Most were good gets(based on the rest of the players we have) but not even trying on Tauaefa was a big failure in my opinion. According to CUSA, he was better than any LB we had this year and better than any freshman we had this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

They did recruit those players, except for Buyers. Most were good gets(based on the rest of the players we have) but not even trying on Tauaefa was a big failure in my opinion. According to CUSA, he was better than any LB we had this year and better than any freshman we had this year.

So, in short, because you are butthurt about one recruit, no other player signed by McCarney and his coaches are worth a damn?

Stupid.  Proximity isn't the answer to everything. 

Is Mark Richt a failure for not signing Atlanta native James Gray when he was the Bulldogs coach?  The aforementioned Buyers went to L.D. Bell which is closer to TCU than UNT.  So, is Gary Patterson a recruiting failure for not recognizing Buyers as a college player worth his time?  I mean L.D. Bell is just a hop, skip, and a jump from Amon Carter.   

Why didn't Texas A&M get Jeffrey Wilson?  Elkhart is closer to College Station than Denton.  Is Kevin Sumlin just an idiot?  Doesn't he realize we slipped into an area closer to College Station and pulled out our best offensive player right out from under him and his blind coaching staff?

Get over it, dude.

As posted before, we are often dealing with the same overlooked/under-recruited players as UTSA, UTEP, ULM, etc.  You hit on some, but you do not hit on many more.  

Let it go, Elsa.   

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

So, in short, because you are butthurt about one recruit, no other player signed by McCarney and his coaches are worth a damn?

They are worth a damn and I'm not butthurt but clearly time has shown that the kid can flat out play at an elite level in CUSA as a RS freshman and Mac didn't even make the effort.

Stupid.  Proximity isn't the answer to everything. 

Is Mark Richt a failure for not signing Atlanta native James Gray when he was the Bulldogs coach?  The aforementioned Buyers went to L.D. Bell which is closer to TCU than UNT.  So, is Gary Patterson a recruiting failure for not recognizing Buyers as a college player worth his time?  I mean L.D. Bell is just a hop, skip, and a jump from Amon Carter.   

Why didn't Texas A&M get Jeffrey Wilson?  Elkhart is closer to College Station than Denton.  Is Kevin Sumlin just an idiot?  Doesn't he realize we slipped into an area closer to College Station and pulled out our best offensive player right out from under him and his blind coaching staff?

Kenny Buyers walked on at NT after leaving Air Force, he would've had to walk on at TCU as well. He has been a great player for us but is not a Big12 level talent.

Jeff Wilson has been a fantastic player for us but he would be 4th string at best right now in College Station, stuck behind 2 4-stars and a 5-star.

Get over it, dude.

As posted before, we are often dealing with the same overlooked/under-recruited players as UTSA, UTEP, ULM, etc.  You hit on some, but you do not hit on many more.  

Let it go, Elsa.   

Yet we looked at a player offered by UTEP and UTSA in our backyard, one who wanted to player for us, and we said no thanks. He goes on to be CUSA freshman of the year and a first team linebacker in his first year on the field. This kid could be a 4 year CUSA first teamer by the time its all said and done and Mac didn't go so far as to make contact with the kid. Do you know how many underclassmen we've had as 1st team all-conference in our 4 years in CUSA? The answer is none. The closest was junior Cyril Lemon in '13. Everyone else has been a senior and there were only 5 total in those 4 years counting Keena.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

The previous regime picked up some good recruits, just not enough of them. Depth is important and the ability to backfill with the next man up is key to a consistent winner. Recruiting classes are important but for the future of the program. That's why the low number of scholarship players is killing NTs program...

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Tauaefa may have been a one hit wonder.  In 8 games this year, he recorded 12 solo tackles and 17 assists for a total of 29 tackles.  He looked noticeably slower in the games where I saw him play this year.  

I noticed that too.  I'm guessing he was slowed by some minor injury/strain.