MGB: Anthony Wyche talks about decision to sign with UNT

Brett Vito

“I also fit into the offense and like how they want to use me. They want me to be a receiver out of the backfield and return punts.”

I understand the need for pass catchers for this offense but we literally went from the Power I, run the ball 40 times a game, offense, to the "we will never run the ball ever again because swing passes are runs" offense. Good lord

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, oldguystudent said:

The 2015 North Carolina Offense had 517 rushes for 3,162 yards against 408 pass attempts for 3,671 yards.  

40 rushing TDs vs 31 passing TDs

Maybe Littrell specifically told the offense to limit the number of runs on Saturday to focus on the pass game. That's my hope at least. Or maybe I'm just blinded by my skepticism to the actual run/pass ratio on Saturday and going forward

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

The 2015 North Carolina Offense had 517 rushes for 3,162 yards against 408 pass attempts for 3,671 yards.  

Coach Littrell was also O.C. under an offensive-minded head coach.  There's no telling how much of that run-pass balance was on Fedora.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Sounds like a pretty good athlete.  But if we had a scholarship available, I probably would have used it somewhere other than RB.

Agree.   I believe we only had 1 left for this class.  There are needs everywhere, but I would hardly call RB a 'need'.  Even if Ivery is moved to the slot, or has grade issues, we still have the two Chapel Hill RBs who can play (when they're not hurt).

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agree.   I believe we only had 1 left for this class.  There are needs everywhere, but I would hardly call RB a 'need'.  Even if Ivery is moved to the slot, or has grade issues, we still have the two Chapel Hill RBs who can play (when they're not hurt).

Which.....has never been the case for Rex Rollins.  I think this is a great pick up and at the bare minimum offers a strong insurance policy for Willie Ivery. 

1 minute ago, All About UNT said:

Which.....has never been the case for Rex Rolling.  I think this is a great pick up and at the bare minimum offers a strong insurance policy for Willie Ivery. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not a good pickup.  Heck, I don't really know.  I just think there are more pressing positions to pinpoint with a single scholarship than our backup/3rd-down RB.  We're gonna be in a world of hurt if we have to insert a backup safety in for McClain/Gray.  DL?

Now if he steps up to be the primary KR/PR man, then hey! It's all good!.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Maybe Littrell specifically told the offense to limit the number of runs on Saturday to focus on the pass game. That's my hope at least. Or maybe I'm just blinded by my skepticism to the actual run/pass ratio on Saturday and going forward

Ding, Ding, Ding. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Anyone totally comfortable with that

Nope.  But I'm far less comfortable with our O-line, WR corps, et al.  And you mentioned scholarship players at RB...how many scholarship QBs on our roster are you comfortable with trotting out there?

That said, I am also very uncomfortable with our punt return situation, so if he ends up filling that role, it's a very worthwhile pickup.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

3 years eligibility and a versatile punt and kick guy. I like it.

^^^^ This.

Littrell is going air raid. We need a return guy who's not a regular WR, since the risk of one of those guys getting beat up on returns and punts is too high. I see him as a guy we can throw to the wolves and he'll be able to handle himself.

Don't think this has been posted yet... great article on this new recruit: http://www.recruitingnewsguru.com/interview-los-angeles-valley-rb-anthony-wyche-readies-for-sophomore-juco-or-division-i-season/

Writer says, Wyche currently runs a 4.4 40 yard dash and still working on speed....  writer states, "The biggest question surrounding Los Angeles Valley freshman running back Anthony Wyche is will he be a one-year top talent at the junior college level or will he be a two-year?" 

Sounds like a decent pick-up...

• Upvote 2

The talent Los Angeles Valley College running back Anthony Wyche posses was never much of a secret in the college football world.

His academic status was another story.

Wyche was a good student growing up in Philadelphia and continued to shine in the classroom in one season in junior college.

That success set Wyche up to transfer after his freshman season

This perplexes me, if his grades have always been good, how is that another story?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

UNC was also ahead in most of their games last year. Those 4th quarter snaps were usually running plays.

Littrell's offense will resemble Leach's offense. He always had one guy who could take handoffs in the backfield next to the QBs or go out into the flat and catch a dropoff and turn it into a big play. But those Tech teams threw the ball A LOT...

• Downvote 1