MGB: Don January event notes

Brett Vito

UNT has a new football coaching staff in place led by Seth Littrell, who has received some great early reviews.

I truly hope he's the guy.  Really I do.  But no more words.  No more glad handing.  No more resting on decade old laurels.  Action.  Operations.  Function.  Tangible progress.

I'm gonna get Missouri license plates because they say "Show me"

Otherwise, take my same ole' same ole' annual money, leave me alone, start a tab for me at the bar, and don't tell me how to think, and that goes for both sides of this quagmire.

This is my university.  It provided me with an education and a degree that has proven to be a very wise decision in my life.  It is still in close enough proximity that I get to enjoy Denton and UNT on a regular basis.  We begin the TAMS application process for my daughter THIS SUMMER (Where the hell did the time go??!?!?)  I look forward to sharing the whole eagle thing with my kid.

But that doesn't mean I have to see any part or the entirety of the university through infallible rose colored glasses.  Neither does it mean I have to take to the streets in banner flying protest.  

It means that I look at parts of the whole institution.  Some are doing well, some are kicking ass and taking serious names.  Others, well, not so much.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I truly hope he's the guy.  Really I do.  But no more words.  No more glad handing.  No more resting on decade old laurels.  Action.  Operations.  Function.  Tangible progress.

I'm gonna get Missouri license plates because they say "Show me"

Otherwise, take my same ole' same ole' annual money, leave me alone, start a tab for me at the bar, and don't tell me how to think, and that goes for both sides of this quagmire.

This is my university.  It provided me with an education and a degree that has proven to be a very wise decision in my life.  It is still in close enough proximity that I get to enjoy Denton and UNT on a regular basis.  We begin the TAMS application process for my daughter THIS SUMMER (Where the hell did the time go??!?!?)  I look forward to sharing the whole eagle thing with my kid.

But that doesn't mean I have to see any part or the entirety of the university through infallible rose colored glasses.  Neither does it mean I have to take to the streets in banner flying protest.  

It means that I look at parts of the whole institution.  Some are doing well, some are kicking ass and taking serious names.  Others, well, not so much.

Understood. I'll take to the streets and banner fly for you, although it does zero good at a place that so thoroughly hates itself. 

Drink a beer for me in the club, and throw me some cheesecake down every now and then.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 10

13 hours ago, Brett Vito said:

RV stated this was "his toughest year." Hey  narcissist, this isn't all about YOU!! The appropriate quote is "this has been the toughest year for UNT, it's student athletes, and its fanbase. I will work my tail off to make things better."

But narcissists don't speak that way. And Rick Villarreal and work should rarely be used in the same sentence. You can tell a lot about people by the words they choose.

Everything always about Rick Villarreal. At least to Rick Villarreal.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 9

Vito writes this....

"the school wraps up a year in which it went 1-11 in football, 12-20 in men’s basketball and suffered its 10th straight losing season in women’s basketball. UNT has only had one winning season in one of the big three revenue sports (football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball) in the last four years."

And RV claims this!!!!!!!!!

"Villarreal said he has no doubt UNT is headed in the right direction"...

It's comments like this that anger the frustrated segment of our fan base. I guess Smatresk and the regents never bother read the comments coming out of our athletic department. Troubling. Very troubling.

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Vito writes this....

"the school wraps up a year in which it went 1-11 in football, 12-20 in men’s basketball and suffered its 10th straight losing season in women’s basketball. UNT has only had one winning season in one of the big three revenue sports (football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball) in the last four years."

And RV claims this!!!!!!!!!

"Villarreal said he has no doubt UNT is headed in the right direction"...

It's comments like this that anger the frustrated segment of our fan base. I guess Smatresk and the regents never bother read the comments coming out of our athletic department. Troubling. Very troubling.

RV has to say that stuff. Otherwise, there is a smidgen of a chance that somebody with the UNT 17 will actually think that they have been sold a bill of goods for all that "access" they have been granted. And Smatresk and the BOR don't want to waste a second on anything related to stuff like this--they have their other primary areas of interest to focus on, many of which aren't even in Denton.

It is what it is.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1