DaMarcus Smith kicked off team

MeanGreenDan

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Let's update our descriptions a bit. He is not a 4 star dual-threat qb any more. He is a qb who ranked 119th out of 124 qualified qbs in passing efficiency, just 4 spots above 123rd ranked Andrew McNulty who I don't believe had a star to his name. Smith's QBR was 119th out of 128. His completion percentage was 121st out of 124 which is actually 3 spots below the aforementioned McNulty who was ranked 118th. Even with that big bomb against WKU that you guys ooh and aah about, his 4.8 yards per pass attempt were ranked 123rd out of 124 with Iowa's favorite son coming in at 122nd.

Smith's star has burnt out. He needs to graduate, find his career, and start his post-football life.

And Morris was a third team QB. You are making my point. Maybe I should have been more clear.

2 hours ago, Green P1 said:

Praise in public!!!

That's only for a special friend...

40 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

*only applies while the person in question is still affiliated with UNT.

Removed from the roster one day, lazy POS the next. That's the way big donors roll at UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

And Morris was a third team QB. You are making my point. Maybe I should have been more clear.

That's only for a special friend...

Removed from the roster one day, lazy POS the next. That's the way big donors roll at UNT.

Could you specifically state why Smith is gone?   I would like to hear from an insider like you.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I do hate to see this happen, since we don't haven't seen any of those listed as quarterback on the roster throw a pass in a game.  On the bright side, numerous posts on here have been to the effect of 1.) wanting to see what Means or Shanbour can do in a game, given a chance, 2.) wanting to see Kevin Dillman given a shot at quarterback, or 3.) wanting to see Mason Fine earlier than later (my least favorite of the above options).

The odds have become much improved of seeing one or more of these mentioned players getting a real shot, and why is that a bad thing?  Over the last 2 years, other than the eternal optimism of seeing a backup with raw talent shine for a week or two, I expected nothing good to come from the quarterback position.  At this point, I don't know what to expect, and like that "known unknown".

Personally, I'd like to see Dillman given a shot.  Some good preparation in practice to shake off the rust for our little used quarterbacks?  Have Bryce English on the defense against our #1 offense.  Oh, and one more thought: did our former coaching staff never inform any of our backup quarterbacks that they were just one injury away from starting?  It seemed like any of them losing the competition to start just stopped preparing to play.

If the new coaching staff is holding players to a higher standard, and some are opting out, that's fine with me.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

We hope. There's a chance we may have to give a few spots in the class to walkons Mccarney put on scholarship. Hopefully not, but it's a possibility based on how many players we signed in 2015 and 2016. Also, we're down to just 73 scholarship players for next season if every scholarship player stays and every signee makes it in. We really need to be able to sign a big class next year.

Wouldnt one think this is expected with a new staff and, consequently, a new culture?

17 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Another scholarship of the team's overall total of 85 will be opened up, but next year's signing class will have 26 slots available...  Unless Littrell uses his last 2016 scholarship before the start of the season, then it will be the standard 25 scholarships per class for 2017.

I'm not necessarily worried about his height.  He's pretty thin.   And he's not used to big-time speed.   He ripped Oklahoma 3-A to shreds.  He has talent for sure, but I think he may need some time to put some weight on and get used to the pace of D1 football.

Be on the lookout for the addition of players who have graduated and still have years of eligibility to join the team after the completion of the "spring semester". 

15 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

Makes you ask the question "what do voluntary mean?"

I told you what happened.

You definitely told him the Rick Villarreal version, that's for sure.

Im assuming you had a conversation with Smith? No?

Big surprise. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

it was gofundme.com, right? 

/checks Denton area cloud ceiling

Most effective campaign to date to bring attention to the failure of RV at AD. What has the compound contributed? 

I expected that to show up in your sig line. Maybe it has already.

Kisses, sweetness. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Most effective campaign to date to bring attention to the failure of RV at AD. What has the compound contributed? 

I expected that to show up in your sig line. Maybe it has already.

Kisses, sweetness. 

define "effective"

and I thought about it, but even that doesn't bump off the greatness Rick gave us the other day. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

define "effective"

Oh, it's a low bar, no doubt. RV and his intimidation hit squad had managed to keep him unquestioned for the longest time outside of this board. But I think articles in the school newspaper that documented RV lying, an article in the Star Telegram and DRC both examining his record and publicizing the flying of the banner, and Smatresk being forced to address the issue is a lot of milage out of $1900. 

More importantly, it gives Vito an out to actually publish what he did. He can pass it off as a public event that he has to cover to the RV hit squad, who would otherwise remove access for the team's only beat reporter (like they did after Vito reported on Dodge's drug testing and racist claims). 

More importantly, I haven't heard one disappointed word from anyone who contributed. That's whose criticism would be valid. 

The fact that Smatresk called the banner supporters "a minute few" was disappointing. Little did he know the minute few is an apt description of the entire UNT fan base.

Best 45 minutes of time I've spent in a while. 

36 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

No sir coach litrell

He is probably wondering what the hell he has gotten himself into... having to explain to you why Smith is off the team...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Wouldn't one think what is expected with a new staff?

Think he is saying roster turnover.  With a new staff comes a new culture., new expectations, and new work habits.  Either adjust or move along.  One thing I will say to all the D.  Smith told you so people, just remember this guys brother was shot and killed about 6 months ago.   He has had an up and down ride. I hope he can go somewhere work hard and become the player he is capable of. Shame on his HS coaches for letting him get by all that time without forcing him to work.  Possibly ( yes a very long shot) cost this kid a shot at the NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Shame on his HS coaches for letting him get by all that time without forcing him to work.  Possibly ( yes a very long shot) cost this kid a shot at the NFL.

Yes indeed! Too often this is the case and it truly hurts the kids involved in the long run. And not even that "long" a run as it starts to hurt them immediately after HS graduation! 

OR

Smith and the staff mutually agreed to part ways due to reasons that none of us do or should know. I love it when people automatically assume its due to grades, attitude, work ethic, etc...It's even better when people come on here and say emphatically that they KNOW it was because of these reasons. Better yet they heard it from the coach! IF, and that's a BIG IF, Coach Littrell told anyone outside of the staff that Smith was released due to grades, work ethic, etc... then Coach Littrell is doing a huge disservice to himself, the university, and the athletic department by airing this to anyone that does not have a need to know. And yes, the 17 don't need to know.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Think he is saying roster turnover.  With a new staff comes a new culture., new expectations, and new work habits.  Either adjust or move along.  

Yes, but Mccarney was an awful roster manager. Three of the last four classes were small (those three had 16 or less high school signees), including Littrell's 2016 class because of walkons taking up spots.

So here's the concern for the 2017 class. Back with our 2014 class we had to use 4 spots on walkons placed on scholarship before participating for 2 seasons with us as walkon said. Then we had 5 more guys do that the next year, but they didn't count towards the 2015 class, as Mccarey signed a full class. Then this year we were told that we only had 20 spots. 

I think Mccarney may have deferred those walkons to the 2016 class, meaning we might have to defer Gunter, Rice, Fernandes, and Daniel Khan to our 2017 class. 

• Upvote 2