Lance Dunbar meeting with 49ers today.

medpilot21

14 hours ago, Cerebus said:

First, former players are by definition boosters.  They fall under the following clause:

The football team (if all goes well) should be a major organization promoting the institutions intercollegiate athletics programs.  The last big recruiting bruhaha to happen at Miami was former players being accused of contacting prospective student athletes.

Second, once you meet any of the criteria to become a booster as far as the NCAA is concerned you never stop being a booster. 

Third, you can't contact any player who has eligibility left even if they signed a NLI at another school because they are still considered potential prospects.  

Education.
the_more_you_know-195x128.jpg

4 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

So a whole lot of us don't know what we're talking about.  Now, back to my question; does Lance Dunbar contribute to his alma mater ?  Is he a member of the Mean Green Club, or does he just stop by and expect to be treated like a celebrity ?

GO MEAN GREEN

The Mean Green Club list is public.  If he's not on there, then he's not a Mean Green Club member.
http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/mg-club/spec-rel/name-recognition.html
Does it really matter?   Should he not be treated like a celebrity, since he's the all-time leading rusher in school history?

14 hours ago, Cerebus said:

First, former players are by definition boosters.  They fall under the following clause:

The football team (if all goes well) should be a major organization promoting the institutions intercollegiate athletics programs.  The last big recruiting bruhaha to happen at Miami was former players being accused of contacting prospective student athletes.

Second, once you meet any of the criteria to become a booster as far as the NCAA is concerned you never stop being a booster. 

Third, you can't contact any player who has eligibility left even if they signed a NLI at another school because they are still considered potential prospects.  

Hmm, but does the NCAA consider the football team (and its current and former members) to be promoting or do they (officially) consider it to be a part of a full academic and d college experience performed solely by amateur student-athletes?

That sort of contradictory position is consistent with past positions and decisions of the NCAA.

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The Mean Green Club list is public.  If he's not on there, then he's not a Mean Green Club member.

I find it hilarious that Tony Benford is the only Diamond Eagle.  Like, it's not even his own roster and he can't keep it together.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

Even if he gets the league minimum, it's not a screwing. Its good money. I want to see him get paid too but he was/is a #3 RB coming off a big injury and there is a salary cap every team deals with. 

Do you even Cowboys, bro? He was not the #3 RB. He was the utility back. And he was the most important skill player on the team after Jason when Tony and Dez were out. He might have even been more important than Jason at that time. His injuries are a concern, but when he's healthy, he is hugely important to the team.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, pastorgrant said:

Do you even Cowboys, bro? He was not the #3 RB. He was the utility back. And he was the most important skill player on the team after Jason when Tony and Dez were out. He might have even been more important than Jason at that time. His injuries are a concern, but when he's healthy, he is hugely important to the team.

I thought that, too.  I'm not a Cowboy guy, but I don't understand why Dunbar is having to find a new home.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I thought that, too.  I'm not a Cowboy guy, but I don't understand why Dunbar is having to find a new home.

I'm hoping he isn't needing to, but that he's just playing the market to get the best deal he can. As a Cowboys fan, I hope that the 'boys give him enough to keep him. He's a potential game changer.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, pastorgrant said:

I'm hoping he isn't needing to, but that he's just playing the market to get the best deal he can. As a Cowboys fan, I hope that the 'boys give him enough to keep him. He's a potential game changer.

That's kind of been his problem. He's not a RS Sophomore. He's like a 4 year NFL guy. It's not potential talk time, it's action time. I like Dunbar, but the guy hasn't even  introduced  himself to the end-zone once in 159 career touches.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Education.
the_more_you_know-195x128.jpg

Does it really matter?   Should he not be treated like a celebrity, since he's the all-time leading rusher in school history?

Maybe he just hasn't called then yet?

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

the guy hasn't even  introduced  himself to the end-zone once in 159 career touches.  

Called back by flags.

59 minutes ago, pastorgrant said:

Though I'll say Terrance Williams is high on the important list. McFadden was a 1,000 yard RB. 

But the Cowboys do need to keep him. Great fit for Linehan offense, and they don't have much depth.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

That's kind of been his problem. He's not a RS Sophomore. He's like a 4 year NFL guy. It's not potential talk time, it's action time. I like Dunbar, but the guy hasn't even  introduced  himself to the end-zone once in 159 career touches.  

How many times has he gotten the Cowboys into scoring position, or on the doorstep to the endzone, only to be replaced by a different back?

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, pastorgrant said:

I don't really know what "Do you even Cowboys, bro?" means but I follow them daily. To say he's more important than Jason Witten is laughable at best. He made the team because he contributes on special teams and was absolutely #3 behind McFadden and Randle on the depth chart. Yes, he was important to the team but he may never be the same player he was after his injuries. I want him to come back and thrive but his injuries are a gamble from a business stand point. Hopefully he's fine because I love watching him play and he's a great success story.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Many here did not play scholarship football for North Texas and don't make $250,000 (?) per year, yet still find a way to support Mean Green Athletics by giving money to the Athletic Dept.  I don't think it unreasonable that a former player, that arguably was given exposure to the NFL while he was here, shouldn't be the first in line to give back to his university.  In terms of dollars, not autographs.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

7 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Many here did not play scholarship football for North Texas and don't make $250,000 (?) per year, yet still find a way to support Mean Green Athletics by giving money to the Athletic Dept.  I don't think it unreasonable that a former player, that arguably was given exposure to the NFL while he was here, shouldn't be the first in line to give back to his university.  In terms of dollars, not autographs.

GO MEAN GREEN

I'm sure Lance has a line around the corner of people looking for his money.  Famous rich people are bombarded all the time.  Maybe he has other priorities.

Do you like him less if he decides not to at this time?   Why zero in on him regarding his money?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

I don't find it unreasonable, either.  I do find it unreasonable to take him to task about it on a message board, though.

• Upvote 1

Because I think in this instance, one's university is near the first of the line you mentioned.  Family and Church should come first, but in his income bracket, there is no reason  somebody needs to solicit his financial support.  Nobody had to solicit mine and I bet nobody had to ask you for your support.  Lance is at the top of his earning potential.  He needs to return what was given him by North Texas.  Not dollar for dollar.  Just be a reasonable giver of record. 

As far as taking him to task here, I didn't wake up this morning expecting to have this conversation.  It's very obvious to me.  In fact, had you asked, I would have assumed he was already a Mean Green Club member.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Because I think in this instance, one's university is near the first of the line you mentioned.  Family and Church should come first, but in his income bracket, there is no reason  somebody needs to solicit his financial support.  Nobody had to solicit mine and I bet nobody had to ask you for your support.  Lance is at the top of his earning potential.  He needs to return what was given him by North Texas.  Not dollar for dollar.  Just be a reasonable giver of record. 

As far as taking him to task here, I didn't wake up this morning expecting to have this conversation.  It's very obvious to me.  In fact, had you asked, I would have assumed he was already a Mean Green Club member.

GO MEAN GREEN

We're on the same message board, so I assume (as far as the MGC goes) our priorities are similar.   Lance may have other priorities.

Say, for instance, he received help from the Haltom City community when he came from N.O. and now he feels he wants to return the favor.   Who knows?

If he wants to contribute financially to N.T. someday, I hope he does.  But if he doesn't want to, that's fine.  He's contributed plenty on the gridiron.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I don't really know what "Do you even Cowboys, bro?" means but I follow them daily. To say he's more important than Jason Witten is laughable at best. He made the team because he contributes on special teams and was absolutely #3 behind McFadden and Randle on the depth chart. Yes, he was important to the team but he may never be the same player he was after his injuries. I want him to come back and thrive but his injuries are a gamble from a business stand point. Hopefully he's fine because I love watching him play and he's a great success story.

Obviously I wasn't talking about carreers comparing LD and JW. I was only talking about the time when Dez and Tony were injured. And that's not laughable at all, it's reasonable, as he was leading the league in catches out of the backfield and was on pace to set the NFL record for catches out of the backfield in a season when he went down. Your implying Lance was only around for special teams has me shaking my head. 

Lance was the most explosive player on O at that time without question, which was exactly what was lacking on the team for most of the season. His only problem has been injuries.

Lance Dunbar isn't whatever kind of NFL spare you think he is. He's a valuable asset to the Cowboys.

Edit: Here's what bloggingtheboys.com said about him after he went down for the season:

Dunbar would be the third major contributor to go on season-ending injured reserve this year, joining Orlando Scandrick and Terrell McClain. What looked to be such a promising season has been absolutely devastated by injuries, plus suspensions have also kept key players off the field. And we aren't talking marginal players here.

Dunbar had played himself into a major part of the offense, especially with Brandon Weeden as quarterback. He led all receivers in total yards going into the Saints game. His case is similar to Terrell McClain's in that he was proving to be more valuable than most had expected. Now he just joins the many wounded and will have to see what next year brings.

Here's the full article: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/10/5/9452989/damage-continues-dallas-cowboys-lance-dunbar-likely-out-for-season

Edited by pastorgrant

2 hours ago, pastorgrant said:

Obviously I wasn't talking about carreers comparing LD and JW. I was only talking about the time when Dez and Tony were injured. And that's not laughable at all, it's reasonable, as he was leading the league in catches out of the backfield and was on pace to set the NFL record for catches out of the backfield in a season when he went down. Your implying Lance was only around for special teams has me shaking my head. 

Lance was the most explosive player on O at that time without question, which was exactly what was lacking on the team for most of the season. His only problem has been injuries.

Lance Dunbar isn't whatever kind of NFL spare you think he is. He's a valuable asset to the Cowboys.

Edit: Here's what bloggingtheboys.com said about him after he went down for the season:

Dunbar would be the third major contributor to go on season-ending injured reserve this year, joining Orlando Scandrick and Terrell McClain. What looked to be such a promising season has been absolutely devastated by injuries, plus suspensions have also kept key players off the field. And we aren't talking marginal players here.

Dunbar had played himself into a major part of the offense, especially with Brandon Weeden as quarterback. He led all receivers in total yards going into the Saints game. His case is similar to Terrell McClain's in that he was proving to be more valuable than most had expected. Now he just joins the many wounded and will have to see what next year brings.

Here's the full article: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/10/5/9452989/damage-continues-dallas-cowboys-lance-dunbar-likely-out-for-season

I totally agree with you that Lance turned into a big piece of the offense last season prior to his injuries. Especially when Dez & Tony went down and Randle lost his mind. I meant he made the team because he played special teams and played his butt off to become a serious part of the team. I disagree that he was ever a bigger part of that offense than Witten because Witten is a leader on that team, future Cowboys Ring of Honor, and possibly a Hall of Famer who's a great blocker as well as the proven go to guy. Go to guy if they could throw, which they couldn't without Romo.

I never liked Lance returning kickoffs either. I think it was evident how the team felt about him when we watched Garrett's reaction. Garrett looked distraught. That said, I don't think he's a spare. He was awesome before he was hurt. Now he's an unknown because of his injuries and the unknowns of his comeback. That's why the PUP list is in place. My hope is he comes back the same as before but time will tell. That's why he's a gamble business wise.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

I totally agree with you that Lance turned into a big piece of the offense last season prior to his injuries. Especially when Dez & Tony went down and Randle lost his mind. I meant he made the team because he played special teams and played his butt off to become a serious part of the team. I disagree that he was ever a bigger part of that offense than Witten because Witten is a leader on that team, future Cowboys Ring of Honor, and possibly a Hall of Famer who's a great blocker as well as the proven go to guy. Go to guy if they could throw, which they couldn't without Romo.

I never liked Lance returning kickoffs either. I think it was evident how the team felt about him when we watched Garrett's reaction. Garrett looked distraught. That said, I don't think he's a spare. He was awesome before he was hurt. Now he's an unknown because of his injuries and the unknowns of his comeback. That's why the PUP list is in place. My hope is he comes back the same as before but time will tell. That's why he's a gamble business wise.

That's all fair enough for my tastes. +1

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, UNTexas said:

+1, and I doubt Garrett wants him returning kickoffs after that.  High risk, high reward, but the risk doesn't seem worth it.

Last year the minimum salary for a rookie was $435,000 and I'd imagine that LD is above that.  But, having said that, I'd imagine that his family came away with virtually nothing while escaping Katrina.  He may be the only breadwinner and he has a lot to rebuild.  Plus, as someone noted, he may feel obligated to repay others for past services.  

Lance seems like a quality guy and I believe that when (and if) he feels ready he will do what he can to help the North Texas program.  

Honestly, the guy gives quite generously of his time.  We can all look at various sources of NFL salary structures, but how many of us can tell how long a player's career will last or how his health and financial situation will be when it's over?  I promise you this: if he turned out not to have taken care of his money and the media reported as much, there would be plenty of folks here and elsewhere saying that it's his own fault.  If nothing else, he's probably the best publicity UNT football has gotten for the last few years.  Anyway, how did this get derailed in such a manner?  Typical North Texas "what have they done for us lately" schtick?  Say it ain't so, Joe.

• Upvote 2