Rice Inks $3.5 Million 3 Game Deal w/Texas

FirefightnRick

The ignorance on this board is unbelievable, I have been around nearly 50 years as NTXCoog said above it is about getting into Houston with a

winnable game. Texas already is in DFW area with OU game and every other year with it's game against TCU. When we had games with

Tx Tech and A&M where we looked like the visitor.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Rice vs Texas 

a "faux home", away & away for $3M...who really cares?

I keep thinking...as far as athletics go....screw Rice...I want North Texas to be the Universty of Houston. 

I want to be the G5 team that the almighty TEXAS "does not" want to play...

Who really wants to be the push over for a pay-check team? I would like NT to grow up and do a little pushing back.

Edited by 3XL
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ttunt1970 said:

The ignorance on this board is unbelievable, I have been around nearly 50 years as NTXCoog said above it is about getting into Houston with a

winnable game. Texas already is in DFW area with OU game and every other year with it's game against TCU. When we had games with

Tx Tech and A&M where we looked like the visitor.

Yep, let's just keep doing what we've been doing. I mean it's worked out so well the past 10 years. 

Brilliant.

20 minutes ago, 3XL said:

Rice vs Texas 

a "faux home", away & away for $3M...who really cares?

I keep thinking...scew Rice...I want North Texas to be the Universty of Houston in athletics. 

I want to be the G5 team that the almighty TEXAS "does not" want to play...

Who really wants to be the push over for a pay-check team? I would like NT to grow up and do a little pushing back.

Hard to be UH when you can't even be ULM...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

On February 13, 2016 at 1:50 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Rice will host Texas at NRG and get paid a million for it.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/02/texas-rice-schedule-three-game-football-series/

Rick  

On February 13, 2016 at 4:17 PM, UNTexas said:

I have to say RV's scheduling is severely lacking. I have zero problem playing the big boys because it pays well, helps recruiting and if we played well we could win from time to time. The Bodybag game followed by the FCS opponent is proven failing recipe. Especially when we disgrace ourselves like last season.

RV needs to try and get some P5 schools to Denton like he said he would and at least 6 home games every season. Fans will show for P5 schools and they'll stay home for whoever Bethune-Cookman is.

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

1.  We have tried a game at the Cotton Bowl before during the fair.  Unless it is UT/OU, it is a failure.

2.  2 for 1 deals lead to 5 game home schedules in the future.

3.  Playing a P5 school once a year is what our AD has said he would do.  This gives our players a chance against those schools, if our coach has any balls, and helps pay the bills like every other G5 does.

4.  A couple of years ago, these same posters that are on her praising this deal Rice gave UT threw a fit if our AD considered this same type of deal.

5.  We have a home field.  It is called Apogee.  Paying to play at AT&T and then losing concession and parking revenue would led to the need to schedule another P5 in the future to offset the lost revenue.

6.  Why does Rice have to go and pay for NRG when they have cavernous Rice stadium?

Good for Rice, if that is what they want.  No thank yoju from this end.

When has UNT has a game at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair? I find zero reference to that anywhere.

8 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Thanks for demanding people leave...

in your 3rd post...

Not when done as ODU did it with Virginia. They are actually getting paid 400k for a one and one while playing one whore game. 

They get 800k total for that whore game, but will have to pay an FCS $400k to balance their home schedule that year.

So, they get the attendance and legitimacy bump of playing Virginia in a one and one while still balancing their schedule for the whore game and still pocketing 400k.

Do you get that? Do you get that RV is completely incapable of even considering this idea, much less selling it to any P5 out there?

As far as constantly whoring out our young men is "giving them a chance against a P5," that's a complete joke, and you know it. What are we under RV, 0-40 in whore games? Ya, that's some chance, isn't it?

But I'm sure you will celebrate that 24 point loss to Georgia as a "close game" from here to eternity. 

You sure love you some me.

aren't you one of those that bitched about FCS games?  Thought so. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I believe UT is out of the question for either Apogee or AT&T.  It doesn't make sense for UT in any way.  They have the exposure in this market.  They make just as much money from a home game against also any G5 opponent that is in a 6 hour driving distance from Austin.  UNT should be targeting P5 opponent that might be wiling to play at AT&T (or maybe Apogee if they are slightly lower profile P5 teams)  Teams that have lost a little relevance in the state of Texas or DFW area recently should be the top targets.   I am including several programs that aren't highly visible in the DFW regularly also.   I am putting an asterisk by the teams that UNT might (however slim possibility) to get in Apogee.  I am listing in order of how desperate I perceive them to be in getting greater relevance in the DFW recruiting market

1. Colorado*

2. Nebraska

3. Missouri*

4. Kentucky

5. Michigan State

6. Texas A&M

7. Miss State*

8. Ole Miss

9. Michigan

10. USC

For teams like Nebraska that are just borderline too "big" to play in Apogee I would suggest a modified contract.  How these schools would look at this contract I don't so I welcome feedback speculation from the group.  Here is the deal.  A 10 year contract with 6 games at their place and 4 game in the DFW area in which a minimum of 2 would be at Apogee.   With the business of college football being quite unstable right now I don't know how Ads at these programs would view a 10 game contract.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You sure love you some me.

aren't you one of those that bitched about FCS games?  Thought so. 

No, I bitched about 5 home games with the only OOC being an FCS. I also bitched about scheduling an FCS while the only other home OOC was a crappy game against SMU or Army. 

You know, because that 2 year superpower ODU is busy scheduling Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Vanderbuilt at home.

But we can always count on you to misstate my positions and accept any crumb thrown your way by this AD, can't we?

10 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

IT IS NOT A HOME GAME.

IF IT WAS IT WOULD BE AT RICE.

Is UT in Houston? 

Or is Rice in Houston? 

Its a home game played at alternate location. 

You know, like when TCU plays one home game a year at Jerryworld. Except that's actually in a different city. 

Is this a simple enough explanation for you? 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

When it comes to scheduling, I really don't understand a lot of you guys on gmg.com.  I think most of you are quite naive.  "Not wanting Texas Tech" "Not wanting a game during State Fair during the Cotton Bowl doesn't work" (something UNT has not tried).   What constitute  "not working"?  If you want to use the games at Texas Stadium in Irvin as a template that is just wrong.  First those games were a generation ago at a stadium virtually impossible to get to with public transit at the time.   Ideally I would not want us playing at AT&T stadium for the same reasons.   However, for the right program outside the state of Texas I think we should consider it.  Especially if we could get that same team in Apogee 2 or 3 years later.   At this point whatever the leadership can do besides selling seats for $5 to get a sellout should be on the table.   We are not getting a 2-1 deal with any of the big boy P5 teams as long as we have stadium that seats less than 40,000 and has NEVER had a sellout.   

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

When it comes to scheduling, I really don't understand a lot of you guys on gmg.com.  I think most of you are quite naive.  "Not wanting Texas Tech" "Not wanting a game during State Fair during the Cotton Bowl doesn't work" (something UNT has not tried).   What constitute  "not working"?  If you want to use the games at Texas Stadium in Irvin as a template that is just wrong.  First those games were a generation ago at a stadium virtually impossible to get to with public transit at the time.   Ideally I would not want us playing at AT&T stadium for the same reasons.   However, for the right program outside the state of Texas I think we should consider it.  Especially if we could get that same team in Apogee 2 or 3 years later.   At this point whatever the leadership can do besides selling seats for $5 to get a sellout should be on the table.   We are not getting a 2-1 deal with any of the big boy P5 teams as long as we have stadium that seat less than 40,000 and has NEVER had a sellout.   

Mike, they live in that past generation just like the AD. It's more comfortable there. They don't want to face the fact that they care far more about UNT athletics than UNT ever had and most likely ever will. 

They also have never seen what a 21st century AD can do with a program like UNT IF the administration is behind him (very unlikely to ever happen at UNT). 

Some people don't want change, even when they exist in a hell hole. Because they know the hell hole, and they are scared for anything different, even if there is a 99% chance it will be better.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

13 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Are you stupid enough to think Rice owns the Houston market? 

Probably.

So is your argument that Rice should not play UT Austin?   I don't think UNT "owns" the DENTON market or even the UNT campus market because even though I think its gotten a little better since 2000. Back in the 1990s there was a 50/50 split between UNT gear and other school's gear on campus.   The stadium is smaller than the student enrollment and faculty, yet NO SELLOUTS.  Hell if you could just get every Denton resident to just one of the six home game a year you would have 20,000+ at every game.   So whatever has been done in Denton for Apogee to this point IS NOT WORKING. I would love for big time P5 team to come to Apogee but why would they?  It doesn't make good business sense for them.  Of course you could jack up prices for all the tickets in the stadium not reserved for students to $200 and over.  And then watch the opposing fans take over the stadium

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Other than the NCAA changing the rules, these kinds of contracts aren't going away.  But let us forget about Rice what do you think UNT should do with the current reality?  No team capable of generating a guaranteed sellout is coming to 30K Apogee Stadium.  You want more FCS teams,  Sun Belt Teams or what?  Part of the consideration going into making a schedule for a G5 team is being able to show recruits that you will get on the big stage every year to play one of the big boys.   We played Georgia in Athens and it did nothing but generate a paycheck for the program.  You wouldn't want to go the Cotton Bowl or AT&T Stadium next year to watch UNT play Georgia?  I don't understand that.   At least in the DFW area local recruits get to see your program on a big stage at a neutral field.  Can you even list the P5 school that have came to Denton without generating 30,000 ticket sales?  I can  name a few.  Texas Tech, Kansas State, and Oregon State 

8 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I don't think they should. You're right. I don't think 3-0 matchups should exist.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

When it comes to scheduling, I really don't understand a lot of you guys on gmg.com.  I think most of you are quite naive.  "Not wanting Texas Tech" "Not wanting a game during State Fair during the Cotton Bowl doesn't work" (something UNT has not tried).   What constitute  "not working"?  If you want to use the games at Texas Stadium in Irvin as a template that is just wrong.  1First those games were a generation ago at a stadium virtually impossible to get to with public transit at the time.   Ideally I would not want us playing at AT&T stadium for the same reasons.   However, for the right program outside the state of Texas I think we should consider it.  Especially if we could get that same team in Apogee 2 or 3 years later.   At this point whatever the leadership can do besides selling seats for $5 to get a sellout should be on the table.   We are not getting a 2-1 deal with any of the big boy P5 teams as long as we have stadium that seats less than 40,000 and has NEVER had a sellout.   

1at&t stadium is not accessible via public transit, so you can throw that out.

I'm not paying the premium that would be required to go to a game at at&t stadium. Parking is outrageous and so would the tickets.  There is no way I could pay under $50 for seats on the 45 yard line on the first level.

I hope any athletic director at North Texas is smart enough to understand that selling our soul to play a "home game" is bad for lots and lots of folks. Vendors who have contracts with the university to man concession booths will lose out on revenue, especially if this game is counted as a home game on a year we may only have 5 home games in total.  The athletic department loses out in just about every way because they likely won't get a cut of the concession sales, you could count on little to no apparel sales at the game, no revenue from parking, and odds are pretty good we'd lose in front of a large "away" crowd, especially if we play a P5 school with a fan base non for traveling well.  Add in losing in front of national audience as well as the game would likely be on TV on top of that.

2-for-1 series should be avoided at all costs and 2-for-1 series with the 1 game to be played at at&t stadium should be straight out shot down.  They play at Apogee or we don't play them at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

2-for-1 series should be avoided at all costs and 2-for-1 series with the 1 game to be played at at&t stadium should be straight out shot down.  They play at Apogee or we don't play them at all.

Well I hope you are very comfortable at 1/3 empty (or more) stadium.  They aren't coming here at all, it doesn't make business sense for them.  And there are plenty of other G5 programs with bigger stadiums that they have sold out that will be selected over UNT every time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Who cares about the TV market? It's a 3 for 0. Three bodybag games. Nobody from Rice will attend. It's "2.8 miles" in the most congested part of town and you'd have to pay for parking. Actually, it's just a quick ride down the rail but nobody will go because it's a body bag game x3.

Is this "modern day AD" angle new? Did you come up with it while you were wasting company time at McDonalds?

Not to mention it's a cool place but a terrible place to watch football.

I don't think we should worry about playing P5s. At all. Or sellouts. I used to think opposite. We need to win. And keep winning. Against the bottom of the FBS. Doesn't matter who we play, we need as many Ws as possible.

We ran undefeated in Sun Belt 4 straight years and exactly where did it get us?  Hoping that coach number 3 since then can win the CUSA West division.  If you are beating teams nobody has heard of it doesn't make a difference unless you go undefeated or have just 1 loss.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Who cares about the TV market? It's a 3 for 0. Three bodybag games. Nobody from Rice will attend. It's "2.8 miles" in the most congested part of town and you'd have to pay for parking. Actually, it's just a quick ride down the rail but nobody will go because it's a body bag game x3.

Is this "modern day AD" angle new? Did you come up with it while you were wasting company time at McDonalds?

Not to mention it's a cool place but a terrible place to watch football.

I don't think we should worry about playing P5s. At all. Or sellouts. I used to think opposite. We need to win. And keep winning. Against the bottom of the FBS. Doesn't matter who we play, we need as many Ws as possible.

I have no doubt that a 21st century AD would be very new to you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Cool. Losing 50-to-0 to UGA at AT&T Stadium hurts the program more than helps. Much rather play FIU in a 1/3rd full stadium.

Now we get to the heart of why UNT is exactly were it deserves to be.  Small dreams produce small results.   And there is no guarantee the score would be 50-0 especially since Georgia is breaking in a new coach this year.  That is the great thing about playing a game you might catch powerhouse in the midst of a rebuild.  Maybe because a DFW recruit came to a game vs one of the big boys at AT&T stadium has second thoughts about sitting on the bench at Big 12 school because he saw UNT had a real program in a somewhat competitive game.

• Downvote 1