Rice Inks $3.5 Million 3 Game Deal w/Texas

FirefightnRick

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

No, I bitched about 5 home games with the only OOC being an FCS. I also bitched about scheduling an FCS while the only other home OOC was a crappy game against SMU or Army. 

You know, because that 2 year superpower ODU is busy scheduling Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Vanderbuilt at home.

But we can always count on you to misstate my positions and accept any crumb thrown your way by this AD, can't we?

Is UT in Houston? 

Or is Rice in Houston? 

Its a home game played at alternate location. 

You know, like when TCU plays one home game a year at Jerryworld. Except that's actually in a different city. 

Is this a simple enough explanation for you? 

Houston plays OU at the Texas Kickoff at NRG Stadium this season.  Does that mean it is a UH home game?  I don't think so.  It's a neutral site game.

Don't think so?  UH has 6 games at TDECU stadium this season.  Do you think UH has 7 home games this year?

33 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

i have no doubt that you keep putting cheese on my hamburger when I explicitly asked for no cheese

Well, if that's what you want to call cheese...

21 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Is Mike Jackson and unt90 the same poster?  Lots of similarities in their posts.   

The bigger question is who is running this TreeFiddy shadow account?

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 3

39 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Is Mike Jackson and unt90 the same poster?  Lots of similarities in their posts.   

Not, I can I assure that I am very real and transparent.  My picture is real and name.  I don't have internet muscles.   And I am not suggesting that UNT90 or anyone else here does.  I think UNT90 and I share the same frustrations with small minded UNT fans.  We speak the uncomfortable truths that UNT fans and alumni don't want to acknowledge.  I wish we were wrong and hope dearly that someday we are proved to be wrong because that would me the program is doing well.   The truth is that this garbage isn't working and using every excuse in the book not to try to do something different is insane in my humble opinion.  The university deserves to have a better program than this if they are going to continue to play at the FBS level.  Fifteen more years of this garbage, I think drop down to FCS or dropping the program all together would be the most humane thing to do

30 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Well, if that's what you want to call cheese...

The bigger question is Whois running this TreeFiddy shadow account?

UNT90 have you ever been on the Barbershop podcast?  I think we both should be invited next season to end this BS "we are the same person"?   Every negative/honest poster on this forum must be one person dedicated to getting rid RV.   If you helps the Kool Aide drinking masses I will remove my tagline from all future post.  But back to the original point.  You can't win big money games, if you never schedule them.  And you have a lessor chance of winning them if you always play them on their campus.  An AT&T game should NOT be an every year thing and let the record reflect I would much prefer Apogee if possible or Cotton Bowl Stadium(during the State Fair).  Turning down a big money game at AT&T or Cotton Bowl makes as much sense as turning down a bowl game.  Using that logic if we had gotten a Big 10 team in the Heart of Dallas Bowl we should turned it down because we would have lost most likely, concessions money allocation, and parking is inconvenient?  WTF?

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Not, I can I assure that I am very real and transparent.  My picture is real and name.  I don't have internet muscles.   And I am not suggesting that UNT90 or anyone else here does.  I think UNT90 and I share the same frustrations with small minded UNT fans.  We speak the uncomfortable truths that UNT fans and alumni don't want to acknowledge.  I wish we were wrong and hope dearly that someday we are proved to be wrong because that would me the program is doing well.   The truth is that this garbage isn't working and using every excuse in the book not to try to do something different is insane in my humble opinion.  The university deserves to have a better program than this if they are going to continue to play at the FBS level.  Fifteen more years of this garbage, I think drop down to FCS or dropping the program all together would be the most humane thing to do

UNT90 have you ever been on the Barbershop podcast?  I think we both should be invited next season to end this BS "we are the same person"?   Every negative/honest poster on this forum must be one person dedicated to getting rid RV.   If you helps the Kool Aide drinking masses I will remove my tagline from all future post.  But back to the original point.  You can win big money games, if you never schedule them.  And you have a lessor chance of winning them if you always play them on their campus.  An AT&T game should NOT be an every year thing and let the record reflect I would much prefer Apogee if possible or Cotton Bowl Stadium(during the State Fair).  Turning down a big money game at AT&T or Cotton Bowl makes as much sense as turning down a bowl game.  Using that logic if we had gotten a Big 10 team in the Heart of Dallas Bowl we should turned it down because we would have lost most likely, concessions money allocation, and parking is inconvenient?  WTF?

Na, it's just people wanting a lesser number of people with opposing views. If they can believe we are the same person, they feel less challenged and more validated. Human nature.

No need to ever go on a podcast. 

Besides, Harry has to keep a polite relationship with the AD. For that reason alone, he should never have me on the podcast, because my opinions wouldn't change, I promise you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

But TV market, Rick! You obviously never worked for a modern day AD.

Oh wait, neither has Ryan. 

UT owns a greater percentage of that market than Rice which was is point. You know it, FFR knows it and so does Mike Jackson but you all are too ignorant to admit it. It is hilarious how you twist your points to fit your agenda. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

UT owns a greater percentage of that market than Rice which was is point. You know it, FFR knows it and so does Mike Jackson but you all are too ignorant to admit it. It is hilarious how you twist your points to fit your agenda. 

Guess what, under your theory North Texas plays zero home games every year, because every team that comes to Denton probably has a bigger"market share" of DFW than UNT.

Let that sink in. If it's even possible. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Guys, every school is unique. I'm not sure why that's such a hard concept. For Rice, a 2-1 with the on at NRG makes sense. Rice and Texas were in the Southwest Conference together for 82 years. THAT makes a huge difference. For current students this means they know their great-grand parents went to these games. Rice Stadium was always much larger than would normally be needed for the fan base of Rice University because they always have drawn both large numbers of visiting fans and for decades a large group of causal fans from the Houston area. They are quite used to being outnumbered at their home games - they expect to be outnumbered at their home games! Rice, both the administration and the fan base, are fine with this. This deal makes sense for them. 

It doesn't make sense for NT to have a similar contract. First, a few selected 2-1 deals can work but more than just a few and you are faced with a five game home season. That's math based on 12 total games a year and the financial realities of a G5 team.

Second, while Rice is playing in a stadium that hosted Super Bowl VIII, we were at Fouts. Now that we finally have a real stadium, we don't want to play home games someplace else. Playing at the Cotton Bowl or AT&T just takes away from having built Apogee. We are fairly unique in this as most teams don't have NFL stadiums or stadiums that once held multiple NFL teams within an hours drive. A few do, but not many. Perhaps at some point playing a neutral site game - we wouldn't call it a home game - at AT&T will make sense but that's still years away. 

Thirdly, while both the administration and the fans of Rice are fine with being outnumbered at their home games, that is NOT something either the administration nor the fans of North Texas would want. The size of Apogee combined with our expected fan base should - not always but should - make this very, very unlikely to happen. When Baylor build their stadium, they were very purposeful in creating seating that would prevent them from being outnumbered at home. We did the same thing. 

Thus, what is a good deal for Rice would not be a good deal for North Texas. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

Guys, every school is unique. I'm not sure why that's such a hard concept. For Rice, a 2-1 with the on at NRG makes sense. Rice and Texas were in the Southwest Conference together for 82 years. THAT makes a huge difference. For current students this means they know their great-grand parents went to these games. Rice Stadium was always much larger than would normally be needed for the fan base of Rice University because they always have drawn both large numbers of visiting fans and for decades a large group of causal fans from the Houston area. They are quite used to being outnumbered at their home games - they expect to be outnumbered at their home games! Rice, both the administration and the fan base, are fine with this. This deal makes sense for them. 

It doesn't make sense for NT to have a similar contract. First, a few selected 2-1 deals can work but more than just a few and you are faced with a five game home season. That's math based on 12 total games a year and the financial realities of a G5 team.

Second, while Rice is playing in a stadium that hosted Super Bowl VIII, we were at Fouts. Now that we finally have a real stadium, we don't want to play home games someplace else. Playing at the Cotton Bowl or AT&T just takes away from having built Apogee. We are fairly unique in this as most teams don't have NFL stadiums or stadiums that once held multiple NFL teams within an hours drive. A few do, but not many. Perhaps at some point playing a neutral site game - we wouldn't call it a home game - at AT&T will make sense but that's still years away. 

Thirdly, while both the administration and the fans of Rice are fine with being outnumbered at their home games, that is NOT something either the administration nor the fans of North Texas would want. The size of Apogee combined with our expected fan base should - not always but should - make this very, very unlikely to happen. When Baylor build their stadium, they were very purposeful in creating seating that would prevent them from being outnumbered at home. We did the same thing. 

Thus, what is a good deal for Rice would not be a good deal for North Texas. 

Right, we can only hope for a crappy FCS that may beat us by 59 and games against SMU and Army. Never do anything different to try to excite and engage a lost fan base.

What UNT is doing hasn't and won't work, yet the answers from a lot of y'all seem to be "just keep doing the same thing." 

Insanity and Albert Einstein come to mind...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

This is awesome. I had one stretch of 11 consecutive posts hidden from ignored posters. Then they outdid themselves and I got to skip 13 consecutive soon after. Now if I can just get other people to stop replying to them...

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

1at&t stadium is not accessible via public transit, so you can throw that out.

I'm not paying the premium that would be required to go to a game at at&t stadium. Parking is outrageous and so would the tickets.  There is no way I could pay under $50 for seats on the 45 yard line on the first level.

I hope any athletic director at North Texas is smart enough to understand that selling our soul to play a "home game" is bad for lots and lots of folks. Vendors who have contracts with the university to man concession booths will lose out on revenue, especially if this game is counted as a home game on a year we may only have 5 home games in total.  The athletic department loses out in just about every way because they likely won't get a cut of the concession sales, you could count on little to no apparel sales at the game, no revenue from parking, and odds are pretty good we'd lose in front of a large "away" crowd, especially if we play a P5 school with a fan base non for traveling well.  Add in losing in front of national audience as well as the game would likely be on TV on top of that.

2-for-1 series should be avoided at all costs and 2-for-1 series with the 1 game to be played at at&t stadium should be straight out shot down.  They play at Apogee or we don't play them at all.

But you have no problem spending the money driving to Denton to watch that disaster unfold in the Super Pit all the time. LOL!

And mentioning a lack of apparel?  So much LOL!

BTW...I didn't start this thread to suggest we play at AT&T.  I was simply pointing out another program doing some outside the box scheduling that we may never see here.  But if we did, and I think our HS coaches will agree, in the countless HS games I've attended at AT&T I've found the place to be extremely accessible and accommodating.  Our local high school played a regular season game there this past season and an estimated 10,000 fans from our town had a blast.  The Jerry World folks really rolled out the red carpet for our fans and most importantly, our kids on the team, the band, dance team and cheerleaders.  The experience is a 1,000 times better than the old stadium.

bJNi3Rh.jpg

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

BTW...I didn't start this thread to suggest we play at AT&T.  I was simply pointing out another program doing some outside the box scheduling that we may never see here.  But if we did, and I think our HS coaches will agree, in the countless HS games I've attended at AT&T I've found the place to be extremely accessible and accommodating.  Our local high school played a regular season game there this past season and an estimated 10,000 fans from our town had a blast.  The Jerry World folks really rolled out the red carpet for our fans and most importantly, our kids on the team, the band, dance team and cheerleaders.  The experience is a 1,000 times better than the old stadium.

Rick

I'm sure it's a good atmosphere at at&t stadium but I am not in favor of selling a game to be played there in the place of a home game in Denton.

I love how you called me out on my choice to participate in the program whereas I haven't seen you once this season in the Green Room nor at the basketball game.  I'm not saying who is a better fan but the hypocrisy is amusing to say the least

I apologize to you and all the other fans for trying to see this from a business perspective. Let's let the fans run this show on how the build a schedule and forget about all the vendors who rely on doing business in Apogee to provide their employees with some extra cash with extra hours of work and thus allowing the athletic department with some cash flow as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I'm sure it's a good atmosphere at at&t stadium but I am not in favor of selling a game to be played there in the place of a home game in Denton.

I love how you called me out on my choice to participate in the program whereas I haven't seen you once this season in the Green Room nor at the basketball game.  I'm not saying who is a better fan but the hypocrisy is amusing to say the least

I apologize to you and all the other fans for trying to see this from a business perspective. Let's let the fans run this show on how the build a schedule and forget about all the vendors who rely on doing business in Apogee to provide their employees with some extra cash with extra hours of work and thus allowing the athletic department with some cash flow as well.

Your concern about the vendors is touching. I don't seem to recall where you were concerned about them when there were 5 games home schedules.

If I missed those posts the plead accept my apology in advance.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Army of Dad said:

Your concern about the vendors is touching. I don't seem to recall where you were concerned about them when there were 5 games home schedules.

If I missed those posts the plead accept my apology in advance.

The "general" concession stands are manned by school groups, who do that as a fundraiser for things like HS Band, Orchestra, etc. You're taking money from them as well by moving games down to Arlington. #JustSayin

EDIT: I have never apologized for 5 game home slates. I want 6 games just as much as everyone else. I do see a situation where we have a 5 "home" game slate where one of those games is in Arlington.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I agree with you on not wanting to trade a home game in apogee for AT&T.  Again, I was simply pointing it out that Rice is trying something different, getting a "HOME" game 2.8 miles from campus AND getting great money for it..AND then getting $1.5 Mill for the final game in Austin. We got what...$750k-$900k in '14?

And I'm not calling you out about your attendance, just at what you'll stomach and pay for and what you won't.  

And no, you won't see me in the Super Pit because attendance means the cluster f@&k on display there is ok with me.  It's not.....so I refuse to attend as most fans have.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

I agree with you on not wanting to trade a home game in apogee for AT&T.  Again, I was simply pointing it out that Rice is trying something different, getting a "HOME" game 2.8 miles from campus AND getting great money for it..AND then getting $1.5 Mill for the final game in Austin. We got what...$750k-$900k in '14?

But we don't have an NFL caliber stadium within 3 miles of our campus, let alone the same county. There's no way we could get a team like Texas, Michigan, or any other perennial Top 25 program to pay us $1 million to play them in Apogee.  It's an interesting approach for Rice but it doesn't come close to working for us.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

But we don't have an NFL caliber stadium within 3 miles of our campus, let alone the same county. There's no way we could get a team like Texas, Michigan, or any other perennial Top 25 program to pay us $1 million to play them in Apogee.  It's an interesting approach for Rice but it doesn't come close to working for us.

How do you know they wouldn't, or at AT&T?  Have you asked?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

How do you know?  Have you asked?

Rick

I think we would be the first program ever to have that happen if we could convince a blue ship program to pay us money for them to play in our own stadium.

And here I go approaching this from a business perspective but that would be just plain dumb for any school to pay North Texas to play a game in our own stadium.  We'd collect the paycheck, gate, concession, and parking revenue and the other team is out whatever they agreed to pay us plus whatever their travel expenses are to get to Denton.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Michigan flies their entire team to Florida for spring break to have workouts. I don't know what that costs, but I'd be willing to bet that they would have an interest in playing a game at the Cotton Bowl against someone and still pay for it, like UT is doing in Houston. But a game against North Texas won't convince them to do this because we suck so bad. Nebraska had a deal set up to play NIU in Chicago in a 4 for 1 series, but then cancelled that game, which NIU agreed to just to keep the 4 bought games in Lincoln

The problem with all of this is that we aren't getting any of those teams to come down here because they would rather play a series with SMU, who has the name cachet amongst media and fans. We don't--and they know that we will easily give up our orifices for the right to go to their hometown and get bought for a cheaper sum. That's the leadership we gladly accept here for athletics.

I don't ever believe we will play a P5 team in Denton or DFW anytime soon (or ever). But the fans' acceptance of FCS games as being fine OOC opponents is what just beats me down. We get nothing from these games--the 2014 crushing of Nicholls State didn't tell us one thing about our team's ability to compete against CUSA teams, and the absolute prison-raping we took in 2015 by Portland State just confirmed how colossally bad we had gotten in just a year and a half under Mac. And 2016's Bethune-Cookman extravaganza at Apogee won't do anything except to give Littrell a home game that we should win, the only game on the schedule that we will be expected to win.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I think we would be the first program ever to have that happen if we could convince a blue ship program to pay us money for them to play in our own stadium.

And here I go approaching this from a business perspective but that would be just plain dumb for any school to pay North Texas to play a game in our own stadium.  We'd collect the paycheck, gate, concession, and parking revenue and the other team is out whatever they agreed to pay us plus whatever their travel expenses are to get to Denton.

Not sure we could hold the crowd, but moving it to AT&T would be an option?  Still, I'd trust your business model sense over anything coming out of the brain trust on Bonnie Brea.  The lack of imagination the past several years from that group has been mind boggling.  Which gave me concern for McCarney and now for Littrel.

Rick

• Downvote 3

52 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Would you rather see UNT play Butt Cookman at Apogee or UT at Jerryworld?

12 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Not sure we could hold the crowd, but moving it to AT&T would be an option?  Still, I'd trust your business model sense over anything coming out of the brain trust on Bonnie Brea.  The lack of imagination the past several years from that group has been mind boggling.  Which gave me concern for McCarney and now for Littrel.

Rick

Shut your mouth! They had the foresight to hire Ryan!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6