MGB: Augie DeBiase talks about his plans

Brett Vito

5 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Generally the case in situations like this... Ironic part of it is these "trophy kids," as depicted in the Netflix movie of the same name usually only get D2 & D3 offers. Meanwhile, some of the greatest athletes alive had parents who supported but didn't push their kids or even no father around at all, see: Lebron James. 

Augie seems like a good kid though and I don't think we know enough to say this is the case for sure. 

I agree with you. In this particular situation, it appears that Daddy doesn't need a retirement plan for financial reasons. It appears to be motivated by psychic rewards. For Augie's future development, it would seem to me to be good for him to chart his own course and make his own decisions. JMHO.

Thank you.  I did.  Google suggested 3 schools;  one played 6 man football and the other 2 didn't have athletics at all.  But from what I understand, a prop school like the one Augie may attend is really nothing more than a really long football camp.  No English or math or science.  Just football.  That's why it doesn't count against his college 5 to play 4. 

GO MEAN GREEN 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

He might have seen UNT as his only option and decided to roll the dice that a prep school season will get him looks by bigger schools in 2017.

Honestly, I think that's a bad choice. If it's a kid playing in a small town who has the size/ability but doesn't have any exposure, then going the prep or juco route can be a good idea. This kid has had all the exposure in the world.

• Upvote 1

Just now, greenjoe said:

Thank you.  I did.  Google suggested 3 schools;  one played 6 man football and the other 2 didn't have athletics at all.  But from what I understand, a prop school like the one Augie may attend is really nothing more than a really long football camp.  No English or math or science.  Just football.  That's why it doesn't count against his college 5 to play 4. 

GO MEAN GREEN 

That type of school has really been cracked down on by the NCAA.  They now have to have some college preparation to them.   That is exactly why Prime Prep got into troubles.

Prep schools aren't new, I remember Vinny Testaverde  went to one before entering college.  The rules have now really changed and they can no longer be used as diploma mills for non qualifiers.  

13 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

That type of school has really been cracked down on by the NCAA.  They now have to have some college preparation to them.   That is exactly why Prime Prep got into troubles.

Prep schools aren't new, I remember Vinny Testaverde  went to one before entering college.  The rules have now really changed and they can no longer be used as diploma mills for non qualifiers.  

If they've already graduated from High School, going to Prep School does nothing other than delay the start of the eligibility clock. The Prep School doesn't even have to come into play with the NCAA Clearinghouse. If you went to Prep School your entire High School career, then things could get sticky.

1 minute ago, UNTnewbie said:

If they've already graduated from High School, going to Prep School does nothing other than delay the start of the eligibility clock. The Prep School doesn't even have to come into play with the NCAA Clearinghouse. If you went to Prep School your entire High School career, then things could get sticky.

Prep schools used to be used to get past the NCAA entrance requirements.  Kids would purposely not finish HS requirement, then go to a prep school where they took a blow off version of those entrance core classes.  I think now there are 16 core classes that can't be taken at prep schools.  It is more or less impossible to graduate HS from one and be eligible.  

• Upvote 1

Are we sure Littrell even offered? All these offer lists are self-reported by the kids (who have a huge incentive to drive up their perceived value by reporting offers from schools who may or may not even be recruiting them). The schools can't confirm or deny whether or not they offered a scholarship to a kid. 

With that said, $15k for a prep school for a kid almost guaranteed to get the rest of his school paid for via football would be manageable for a lot of middle class families (especially those who saved for college). 

If we did offer and Augie thinks he can do better, good for him. It is a gamble he must be able to afford to take. Worst case scenario, he could still probably get a scholarship to D2. Best case he ends up in the ACC. 

Either way, Littrell needs to move on and find a scholarship HS QB this class. 

I'll take a shot at it:
(1) No offers were made...none by Indiana, none by Virginia Tech, and none by us.  All talk coming from the family PR machine that appears to be Augie Debiase, Inc., - CEO, Dad.
(2) Kid is already 19, he'll be 20 once he takes his babysitting year at the "prep school"...and, still having dad trying to pave the way for him.
(3) Coaching staffs will still be confronted with dad after the prep school year as well.

Honestly, I feel sorry for the kid.  I really do.  We see a sh*t ton of these types of dad around these here parts.  Awful to because this kid really does seem to be a nice kid.  The dad just can't seem to let go of him. 

Gotta wonder if it ever enters the kid's mind, the whole coaches not wanting to deal with the dad scenario.  Coaches have enough to deal with already without having to put up with over involved dads.

I can't even imagine the dads at that level.  I coached my son's baseball team once when he was 8...and, it was a daily stream of e-mails from parents telling me how to coach their kids and where to play them...it's got to be a nightmare when the kids get older.  Never. It surely is not helping Augie.  May not be hurting, openly; but, it can't be helping.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, greenjoe said:

See Giovanni Vizza.  But I digress...

Can someone tell me the name of one prep school in our area(FW) ?  Or for that matter, any prep school anywhere.

I went to prep school to play hockey at a military academy in the midwest.  It is very common in the US hockey world as there isn't a cohesive nationwide high school hockey system, and talent level drops off incredibly hard south of the Mason-Dixon.  This is the first time I've heard about it in football though.

8 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I haven't been around long enough to gather everyone's opinion regarding DT..

But I always thought UNTs HOD season could've been a legendary one if only they had an above average QB

THANK YOU!!!! A newbie relatively fresh to the board calls it what it is. Vito...90...Are you both witnessing this? 

Yes, you are right. With consistent average to above average QB play the 2013 season could have been one for the ages. Instead, and no fault of it to him, we got inconsistent and below average QB play in about 5-6 games. Ohio, Tulane, and nutsack would have been wins with JUST average QB play. 12-1 (possibly 13-1 after hosting cusa champ game) was what could have been. Sigh. Some (90) will say it was philosophy that caused those poor performances and maybe so. But philosophy didn't throw 2 huge pick 6's that dealt 2 games to the opposition. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. 

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

THANK YOU!!!! A newbie relatively fresh to the board calls it what it is. Vito...90...Are you both witnessing this? 

Yes, you are right. With consistent average to above average QB play the 2013 season could have been one for the ages. Instead, and no fault of it to him, we got inconsistent and below average QB play in about 5-6 games. Ohio, Tulane, and nutsack would have been wins with JUST average QB play. 12-1 (possibly 13-1 after hosting cusa champ game) was what could have been. Sigh. Some (90) will say it was philosophy that caused those poor performances and maybe so. But philosophy didn't throw 2 huge pick 6's that dealt 2 games to the opposition. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. 

I'd have to agree that philosophy did play a part in some of those bubble screen pick sixes. Int's are Int's, but DT did seem to have more than his share of them that weren't totally his fault. That being said, it is up to the QB to make those split second decisions to avoid disaster.

13 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Actually, play calling was at fault for one of those pick 6s. Chico fell in love with the screen pass the previous year after the LaLa game. You know what doesn't work? Screen passes against 8 man fronts.

But you simply couldn't get that through Chico' thick skull.