Morris and English transfers official

TheReal_jayD

The main issue is that you are arguing this is a special circumstance. The NCAA will say that the entire old rule was about special circumstances and we changed it and said that special circumstance will only effect years of eligibility and not immediate eligibility. I highly doubt they will pass the rule specifically speaking to special circumstances and then reverse their stance. The Baker Mayfield thing if I recall had to do with him being a walk-on and some other grey areas in the rule which is why they appealed. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

The main issue is that you are arguing this is a special circumstance. The NCAA will say that the entire old rule was about special circumstances and we changed it and said that special circumstance will only effect years of eligibility and not immediate eligibility. I highly doubt they will pass the rule specifically speaking to special circumstances and then reverse their stance. The Baker Mayfield thing if I recall had to do with him being a walk-on and some other grey areas in the rule which is why they appealed. 

So who's gonna tell English and the UNT compliance staff they are dumb and wasting their time?  I nominate you.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, GOMG2013 said:

So who's gonna tell English and the UNT compliance staff they are dumb and wasting their time?  I nominate you.

First off, this isn't on English. But yes, the AD should do their due diligence and may/probably will discover that it won't be worth the effort. There is some murkiness because it just passed I'm sure they are looking at, but I highly doubt that they will find anything. NCAA has covered their bases on this one and planted a firm foot and established a bright-line rule addressing everything that we or any other university could argue under the new rule. Good luck to them if they really choose to pursue this, but as has already been stated they may not even know that the rule changed. Before you say that is over the top: See MGC technical difficulties and website issues to see how the whole department is functioning.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

If someone want's to file an appeal, there doesn't seem to be a reason not to except the exertion of effort. You seriously believe because someone in the athletic department hired a bad web developer then everyone in the department has little to no knowledge of NCAA rules? That's s big stretch. 

Well then maybe they should clarify. Say "we are going to appeal based on the rule change effective for 2016-17 and try to get English eligible as soon as possible." I'm pulling for him and hope he gets it. This is exactly what the old rule was meant for. Unfortunately they changed it, nothing he or anyone else can do about that. We all know the dysfunction is deeper than the web developer. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

If someone want's to file an appeal, there doesn't seem to be a reason not to except the exertion of effort. You seriously believe because someone in the athletic department hired a bad web developer then everyone in the department has little to no knowledge of NCAA rules? That's s big stretch. 

The problem is this would be akin to confessing every well established element of murder then appealing on the grounds that you don't like the elements. 

It's a pretty fruitless task if the rule was made specifically to address these situations.  

And do I believe that some on this board may be more up to date than AD members on current NCAA rules on this matter? Absolutely. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

The problem is this would be akin to confessing every well established element of murder then appealing on the grounds that you don't like the elements. 

It's a pretty fruitless task if the rule was made specifically to address these situations.  

In NCAA terms, I'd compare it to saying "yes everything we did constitutes a violation of contact with a recruit, but we are appealing the rule as a whole." Have rules changed this way? Sure. Can't think of an example specifically within the NCAA. I would think it'd be exceedingly difficult since they are the one who make the rules and decide on the appeal. Especially when we are not OU. 

5 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

Is there a way to save quotes? If so, can we keep this one so that, in case he wins his appeal, I can get ready to suit up in time for the first game?  I believe I still have 4 years of eligibility.

Seriously though...sounds like they're just thinking positively.  And who knows, since it's cancer, he could play the "what if this is my Dad's last year to see me play" card...which is, conversely, definitely NOT thinking positively, but could be used to sway them.  Maybe.

your timer has already expired sorry.  lol clock starts ticking once you have enrolled in a 4 year college. 

24 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Debbie Downer!

tumblr_njbr1pjfWX1smmsbuo1_400.gif

This is the ultimate example.

Thinking the NCAA will make a special exception where the rule was literally made for this specific situation. 

Check back with me this fall when Bryce isn't in the lineup and tall me again how this was ever going to happen.

Then again, maybe the NCAA will read my posts and deny the appeal because of them. Lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

28 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

tumblr_njbr1pjfWX1smmsbuo1_400.gif

This is the ultimate example.

Thinking the NCAA will make a special exception where the rule was literally made for this specific situation. 

Check back with me this fall when Bryce isn't in the lineup and tall me again how this was ever going to happen.

Then again, maybe the NCAA will read my posts and deny the appeal because of them. Lol. 

Perhaps we could get a banner over their HQ?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Seeing his tweets and how many local players he seems to know, is English our best recruiter now? Reminding me of Trice. 

English will be solid gold for UNT.  The fact KP recruited him here before leaving will make us forget that he took they guy whose name I can't recall right now with him.

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Or perhaps we could sit on our hands and do nothing and hope change magically occurs? 

I actually admire your verve. I admire your actions because most people talk and do nothing. I'm proud there are people like you who care enough to do something rather than nothing.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I actually admire your verve. I admire your actions because most people talk and do nothing. I'm proud there are people like you who care enough to do something rather than nothing.

The new deal here is to imply I'm completely responsible for the banner. I spent maybe 30 minutes total setting up a gofundme account and calling to order the banner. I made a small donation.

There were many others that funded the banner. One person in particular gave a consiserable amount of money to make it happen. And I'm glad he/she did.

Point being it was a group effort.

And is was long overdue. 

• Upvote 1