Confirmed: Graham Harrell to UNT

MeanGreenGlory

9ckp6oZY.jpeg

"CF.C HAS CONFIRMED FootballScoop.com's report that first-year outside wide receivers coach Graham Harrell is leaving Washington State.  Harrell is becoming the offensive coordinator at North Texas, the source told CF.C"

Link: http://www.scout.com/college/washington-state/story/1621775-source-wsu-s-graham-harrell-going-south?hootPostID=4fcd1559917bc5705e70864e2f673e18

QONVIyz.gif

Pretty solid lock. Just on name value alone this staff is shaping up to blow our previous one out of the water, specifically with the up and coming recruits. 

Tvzzwdf.gif

Bring back the tortilla celebrations?

S7f84tk.gif

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 5

During Harrell's reign as the Red Raiders quarterback, Littrell was the running backs coach. Together those three helped produce TTU's most successful season, as the team went 11-2 in 2008.

Harrell is only 30 years old, making it easy for him to help his players. He was always among the most energetic people at WSU practices, and could often be seen shouting encouragement after big plays.

"It's fun to still be able to relate to the guys some and I think I can help my receivers or the quarterbacks, because it hasn't been that long since ago that I've played in this exact offense and stood where they stood," Harrell said during fall camp. "I've seen the same things they're seeing. I think I can help them in that way and I try to tell them I've been there, I see what you're seeing."

The move comes just one day after Football Scoop also broke the story about WSU quality control assistant Joel Filani becoming a receivers coach for North Texas. Filani also played at Texas Tech from 2003-2006.

read more:  http://dnews.com/blogs/graham-harrell-to-become-north-texas-offensive-coordinator/article_1527c6e8-9fa6-11e5-9e1a-07007960979b.html

Dude ran Leach's offense for 5 years, including 3 years as a starter with one of those being Tech's best season in program history. I think just about any team in the NFL would take Peyton Manning as their OC and he hasn't been a coach yet. Dude knows offenses and how to read defenses. Harrell is the son of a highly successful Texas HS football coach who ran the spread too. He will be fine.

Oh, and he backed up Aaron Rogers on a Super Bowl team so he had to have picked something up there too.

this. I'm guessing he had the authority to check into and out of plays when he was at tech. He should be fine

• Upvote 1

Dude ran Leach's offense for 5 years, including 3 years as a starter with one of those being Tech's best season in program history. I think just about any team in the NFL would take Peyton Manning as their OC and he hasn't been a coach yet. Dude knows offenses and how to read defenses. Harrell is the son of a highly successful Texas HS football coach who ran the spread too. He will be fine.

Oh, and he backed up Aaron Rogers on a Super Bowl team so he had to have picked something up there too.

Good post @Cr1028

Good golly it's hard keeping up with all these multiple threads. 

Read the scout article and it made me feel a little better about this hire. 

Just come in, install Littrell's system, and teach this offense. Look good, get hired away, and I'll call this a success. 

you think Littrell is going to let anyone except him run this offense?? Think again.  He has a lot riding on this. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Here is what is crazy:  He made $210k at WSU, it's very likely that he will make more as our OC than Dickey OR Dodge ever did as HC.

ETA: My point is the reason we are hiring coaches that are exciting and that people have heard about is that we have really raised the coaching salaries, shake the hand of one of the 17 the next time you see one of them.

@Cerebus amen!

Here is what is crazy:  He made $210k at WSU, it's very likely that he will make more as our OC than Dickey OR Dodge ever did as HC.

ETA: My point is the reason we are hiring coaches that are exciting and that people have heard about is that we have really raised the coaching salaries, shake the hand of one of the 17 the next time you see one of them.

He made that much as a WR's coach...man has this CFB arms race gotten out of control. But good we're trying to keep up. Thanks, rich supporters.

• Upvote 4

Was about to post this, we are stepping up our assistant pay in a big way. 

• Upvote 1

I heard from pretty close Tie in, that Harrell will be learning from Littrell but it will be Littrell's offense for a few years then hand reigns over. 

so happy to have the man coordinating our offense having a great out.   "The hc was really the guy, I was just here learning"

i wish GH the most success!  I do trust our new coach...   Maybe I just have a problem with an inexperienced staff....   Maybe that's what we need ....  

My concerns are noted.    But it doesn't matter anymore.   Give coach Harrell the benefit of the doubt and let's take the next few years and kick some ass.   GMG!

fire RV

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

so happy to have the man coordinating our offense having a great out.   "The hc was really the guy, I was just here learning"

i wish GH the most success!  I do trust our new coach...   Maybe I just have a problem with an inexperienced staff....   Maybe that's what we need ....  

My concerns are noted.    But it doesn't matter anymore.   Give coach Harrell the benefit of the doubt and let's take the next few years and kick some ass.   GMG!

fire RV

Inexperienced doesn't mean not qualified.  Everyone has to get experience.

• Upvote 2

You seriously have a negative Nancy attitude if you have strong negative reaction to this news.  Lack of experience is an issue but what do we really expect here with RV still in the picture and the sour stinch of a 1-11 season lingering around Denton.  I am looking forward to an assault on the Mean Green passing and receiving record books.  I don't think we will see it next year because the running backs our the best offensive unit on the team.  But year 2, 3 and 4 once he gets a quarterback that can run the system watch out CUSA.  And if we get a defense to compliment it, the sky is the limit.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3