What I'd Like To See During The Tennessee Blowout

Once Tennessee is up 21-0 or 28-0 in the first quarter, I want to see new quarterbacks.  I don't really care who they are, as long as their names aren't McNulty, Greer, or Smith.

Put in Chumley, Cousins, Means, and Shanbour.  All of them.  Put a new one in every series.   I honestly don't see what difference it would make. 

I honestly believe that any of those four simply walking into the huddle and saying, "you give me a post, you give me a slant, you go out in the flat, and you go long" and the results would be about the same as they have been all season long.

I mean, how could they be worse?  And, please...please after these four starts, do not feed me this "developing Smith for next year" line, okay?  He is not going to play quarterback for the new head coach if we are truly hiring in a guy with offensive spurs. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

Once Tennessee is up 21-0 or 28-0 in the first quarter, I want to see new quarterbacks.  I don't really care who they are, as long as their names aren't McNulty, Greer, or Smith.

Put in Chumley, Cousins, Means, and Shanbour.  All of them.  Put a new one in every series.   I honestly don't see what difference it would make. 

I honestly believe that any of those four simply walking into the huddle and saying, "you give me a post, you give me a slant, you go out in the flat, and you go long" and the results would be about the same as they have been all season long.

I mean, how could they be worse?  And, please...please after these four starts, do not feed me this "developing Smith for next year" line, okay?  He is not going to play quarterback for the new head coach if we are truly hiring in a guy with offensive spurs. 

That's a lot of QB's to take with the travel squad. I'm guessing that Means or maybe Shanbour would make the travel squad. Looking at either of them would be fine with me.

First, don't burn any redshirts this time of year in this season. 

Secondly, don't shell shock the young guys. Every coach I know says that does have an effect longer than simply one game. Putting in players who are unprepared - less than three practices where they individually get 70% or more of the reps with the starters - only hurt their development down the line. 

Third, since they won't have any real prep time and won't know the plays or options on each play very well. I guess the goal is laugh value at how the team as a whole and they react to multiple penalties, fumbles and interceptions. That doesn't sound like a good goal. 

When Todd Dodge decided to treat the game in Norman as a scrimmage and not care about the score or success of any play, he was excoriated for bad coaching not only by our fans, but the OU staff and the press that cover OU and the Big XII. I don't think you'll be able to convince Chico that appearing to be a complete idiot is the best way to show yourself off for any potential jobs!

• Upvote 3

How much are we getting paid to be Tenn's homecoming opponent, not to mention, the team that will make them bowl-eligible?

I can almost guarantee it's not the market price. Knowing RV, probably not even close. 

If we're going to do these games we have to negotiate to the point of discomfort for the opposing administration. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can almost guarantee it's not the market price. Knowing RV, probably not even close. 

If we're going to do these games we have to negotiate to the point of discomfort for the opposing administration. 

Considering the deal to play them was signed 7 years ago (may be off a year or two) and kicked down the road several years, no, it's not going to be the current market price.

When Todd Dodge decided to treat the game in Norman as a scrimmage and not care about the score or success of any play, he was excoriated for bad coaching not only by our fans, but the OU staff and the press that cover OU and the Big XII. I don't think you'll be able to convince Chico that appearing to be a complete idiot is the best way to show yourself off for any potential jobs!

None of that is true. Dodge went in there trying to win, not just trying to run out the clock like Dickey would. The coaches and media were laughing at Mendoza's simplistic high school defense, not Dodge's offense. Go figure that we'd now have a DC worse than one straight outta high school.

Tennessee can name the score here. We won't score more than 10 points, they won't score less than 50. It really won't surprise me if this is a Portland State style ass-kicking.

The really crazy part is that this is the first time we have scheduled P5 giant in a smart way--later in the season, when SEC schools that are out of the division race will often get beat or have a dogfight on their hands. Unfortunately, we had this on the schedule in a year we also scheduled another P5 giant that is awesome in Iowa, with no bye week, and our worst team since the early Dodge years at least, if not since we moved back up to FBS in 1995.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

RV resign?

Unless you are ok with an 88-0 final score, this is a very bad idea. 

The first live action these QB's will see, and you want it to be against a SEC team? There may be 4 pic sixes if this occurred

Listen, if Tennessee wants the score to be 88-0, it would be that no matter who plays quarterback for us.  There will be backups in for the Vols before halftime. 

Tennessee can name the score here. We won't score more than 10 points, they won't score less than 50. It really won't surprise me is this is a Portland State style ass-kicking.

The really crazy part is that this is the first time we have scheduled P5 giant in a smart way--later in the season, when SEC schools that are out of the division race will often get beat or have a dogfight on their hands. Unfortunately, we had this on the schedule in a year we also scheduled another P5 giant that is awesome in Iowa, with no bye week, and our worst team since the early Dodge years at least, if not since we moved back up to FBS in 1995.

We could easily score 10+ because Tennessee will be down to scout teamers by the time the middle of the fourth quarter rolls around.  Lots of kids getting "rewarded" for their hard work of being tackling dummies in practice for four years to the scholarship players. 

All I'm saying is let another quarterback play against Tennessee's backups.  We already know Smith moves the ball real well when we're down by 30 or 40.  Just for the sake of keeping things interesting, put some new blood in there.  It'll be the only chance any of them will ever have to take a snap at the FBS level.

We could easily score 10+ because Tennessee will be down to scout teamers by the time the middle of the fourth quarter rolls around.  Lots of kids getting "rewarded" for their hard work of being tackling dummies in practice for four years to the scholarship players. 

All I'm saying is let another quarterback play against Tennessee's backups.  We already know Smith moves the ball real well when we're down by 30 or 40.  Just for the sake of keeping things interesting, put some new blood in there.  It'll be the only chance any of them will ever have to take a snap at the FBS level.

Probably will be playing their 2's at the end.

Im okay will it being all Smith. He is the best chance we have at QB for next year as the current roster stands.  Im hoping that if we get a young offensive coordinator he could swipe a QB late. 

• Upvote 2

What I'd like to see is us not get down 21-0. We moved the ball well at times against LA Tech and other road opponents, but can never execute - whether the drive is stalled by a penalty, sack, terrible loss on a run, fumble, etc. etc. etc. WE NEED TO FINISH DRIVES!!!

Since last season, we have fallen behind at least 21-0 in 7 of 12 road games. OVER HALF OF OUR ROAD GAMES!!! Whatever it is that we do to "prepare" these guys before a road game, it ain't working!

What I'd like to see is us not get down 21-0. We moved the ball well at times against LA Tech and other road opponents, but can never execute - whether the drive is stalled by a penalty, sack, terrible loss on a run, fumble, etc. etc. etc. WE NEED TO FINISH DRIVES!!!

Since last season, we have fallen behind at least 21-0 in 7 of 12 road games. OVER HALF OF OUR ROAD GAMES!!! Whatever it is that we do to "prepare" these guys before a road game, it ain't working!

He's talking about Tennessee, not Middle Tennessee.

• Upvote 1

I don't fear many things. But I fear this game. Tennessee will take us out behind the wood shed. Lesser teams have given us program destroying losses.

We may need to go Slapshot style and run around the field in jock straps. It would be less embarrassing than actually trying to line up and play football. Everyone spends some time in the barrel, I didn't know we were going to receive our mail there....

• Upvote 1

What I'd like to see is a team show up that is worthy to play a game scheduled by NT administration, but that will not be seen. Instead NT goes and schedules something like this with no commitment to deliver a competitive team when the time comes. It is so terribly inept and thoughtless. 

• Upvote 1