DeMarcus Smith

UNT90

I saw Demarcus mention he attended 2 funerals.  I know about the Demond Ramsey funeral that was referenced as his best friend/brother.  Does anyone know the other?  Demarcus mentioned he was pall bearer at 2 funerals. 

Unbelievably strong mind/will to fight through that this week.  Much respect for what he has gone through since being named starter and how he has handled it so far.

• Upvote 3

if anyone hasn't seen chico's post game locker room speech GO WATCH IT. He has those kids believing and playing hard for him.... I'm impressed and I am starting to question why he didn't get a shot at being the HC. Please go watch the video on Periscope those kids respond to him.

Yes what has D Smith had now a total of 8 practices in 3 weeks? Hasn't had the easiest road, but definitely needs to make the most of this weeks practice. La Tech will score at will on us and we will have no room for error on offense. It'll have to be score for score.

l agree that Chico is getting more out of less just as he proved as interim after Dodge. Think of the thousands of dollars wasted on McCarney when just promoting Canales would have resulted in more wins and more respect for the program. I once told RV that if he had hired Canales in FB and Danny Kaspar in BB, he would have had double the wins at half the salary. Chico will have never gotten his chance here, but I hope he does get that opportunity elsewhere. I think he will make some mid major a great head coach.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I saw Demarcus mention he attended 2 funerals.  I know about the Demond Ramsey funeral that was referenced as his best friend/brother.  Does anyone know the other?  Demarcus mentioned he was pall bearer at 2 funerals. 

Unbelievably strong mind/will to fight through that this week.  Much respect for what he has gone through since being named starter and how he has handled it so far.

it was the other young man who lost his life they were also close friends ( from what I gathered) 

it was the other young man who lost his life they were also close friends ( from what I gathered) 

He was friends and played high school football with the other young man.

I keep reading this from various posters and just don't understand the sentiment.  If we think he is going to be a great head coach, why in the world would we let him go?  Is it just stubbornness on our part because he is tied to Mac and Dodge?  Seems if he is going to be a great coach, we would prefer that happen at North Texas.  I know I would.  Give him a 3 year contract, and let's see what happens.

I agree 1000% Chico could turn us around 

• Upvote 2

I keep reading this from various posters and just don't understand the sentiment.  If we think he is going to be a great head coach, why in the world would we let him go?  Is it just stubbornness on our part because he is tied to Mac and Dodge?  Seems if he is going to be a great coach, we would prefer that happen at North Texas.  I know I would.  Give him a 3 year contract, and let's see what happens.

I agree with this. 

• Upvote 3

This fan base...

Chico is part of a staff that hasn't recruited. Chico is responsible for recruiting the DFW area and we have heard a quote from one DFW coach who was perplexed at the lack of contact with the UNT staff and was quoted saying he hopes the next staff makes improvements. 

Yet this is the candidate some want. Because he won one single football game against a 1-6 opponent starting a 4th team, walk on QB. 

No other FBS school would hire Chico, yet he is ok for UNT.

Come on, folks.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

We are dysfunctional. We get over excited for *anyone* that likes us, like we don't think we deserved to be liked, loved, admired. The thing is that we are a FBS college football job and there will be very good coaches that want to come here and ply their trade. People as good and better than Canales. 

He might have been a decent hire in 2010, but not anymore. It's time to move on from that era that has spanned six years already. 

• Upvote 3

This fan base...

Chico is part of a staff that hasn't recruited. Chico is responsible for recruiting the DFW area and we have heard a quote from one DFW coach who was perplexed at the lack of contact with the UNT staff and was quoted saying he hopes the next staff makes improvements. 

Yet this is the candidate some want. Because he won one single football game against a 1-6 opponent starting a 4th team, walk on QB. 

Come on, folks.

"Smith has the "it" factor, plays with heart, runs the ball like running back, is extremely athletic, and has a cannon for an arm. He is fast enough to outrun two levels of defense, but not the safeties. His timing and accuracy need to improve, but that is something that can be corrected over time in practice."

That's impossible.   According to Coach Mac, players that do well in practice also do well in games.    And, there is no such thing as a gamer.    Those words are going to haunt him for a while.

• Upvote 1

Smith is now doing the things he needs to do to be a successful college quarterback. He wasn't doing them before a meeting with Canales back before the Western game and finally started doing them. Everyone, including Mac, has said he had a lot of talent, but wasn't doing the things needed to be successful. I wish he'd been doing the things he saids he started doing after that meeting during the Fall camps. But I'm glad he is doing them now. 

• Upvote 1

Smith is now doing the things he needs to do to be a successful college quarterback. He wasn't doing them before a meeting with Canales 

Did you seriously expect Canales or DeMarcus to bad mouth Mac and another player and say "We have no idea why DeMarcus wasn't starting, kinda crazy right?"

It just magically happens that the Come to Jesus moment happens right after Mac is let go?  

Mac had an obvious blind spot (no pun intended) and Canales didn't.  Everyone involved is too classy to throw him under the bus.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Smith still isn't ready to lead a good team.  I can see why he didn't start the season.   I Don't blame mac at all for not starting smith game 1.  It would have been admitting we are rebuilding.  Smith is learning on the fly.

I do blame mac for smith not starting after the first two losses and it was obvious our season was in trouble. 

Are fans watching the games?  There's no big turn around on offense.  There's no great new offensive game plan that has evolved.  It's a raw athlete that has been plugged in and he is making something out of a bad offense by running the ball.  Chico should get credit for putting him in there, but that's about it on offense.

Chico should also get credit for putting in young players and giving them a chance.  Not sure if he is responsible for the tighter corner coverage on defense instead of 10 yards off, but I guess he gets credit there too.

Chico is making decisions that people on this board would have made.  

• Upvote 3

Smith is now doing the things he needs to do to be a successful college quarterback. He wasn't doing them before a meeting with Canales back before the Western game and finally started doing them. Everyone, including Mac, has said he had a lot of talent, but wasn't doing the things needed to be successful. I wish he'd been doing the things he saids he started doing after that meeting during the Fall camps. But I'm glad he is doing them now. 

Did you seriously expect Canales or DeMarcus to bad mouth Mac and another player and say "We have no idea why DeMarcus wasn't starting, kinda crazy right?"

It just magically happens that the Come to Jesus moment happens right after Mac is let go?  

Mac had an obvious blind spot (no pun intended) and Canales didn't.  Everyone involved is too classy to throw him under the bus.  

Narrative.

• Downvote 1

First full game I have got to see him play.

Not the greatest passer in the world, obviosly. Everything is thrown at one speed, super hot, with no touch. He has accuracy problems, also. 

BUT

He can change the game with his feet, and did just that last night. He is so clearly a better QB than Mini Mac that there is little doubt to the nepotism claims at this point. 

That said, if teams find a way to shut down QB runs, we again become a one dimensional team. He needs to have competition for the QB spot next year. Competition that isn't currently on the roster.

Exactly my analysis.  He's a terrible passer.  This is likely why we were his only offer after his JUCO year.

Also correct that if defenses gear up to stop the run, we are in trouble.  That was proven in his first two starts, and will be the case for the next three games.

UT-San Antonio down to their fourth string quarterback, was one of two teams that might be as bad as us.  The other is UTEP.

I think this was the pinnacle of what we'll ever see of him as far as passing goes:  11 for 22.  He's now "up" to 43.8% completion rate on the season.  The other problem with him is the fumbles.

The new coach, yes, absolutely must sign two or three FBS-level quarterbacks.  If he can get one to be a JUCO, fine.  But, there are kids who have the ability to do it as freshmen.  Marshall's QB was a freshman.  They are out there.  What we need is a coach who can identify and sign them...and, do so quickly.

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Downvote 2

"Smith has the "it" factor, plays with heart, runs the ball like running back, is extremely athletic, and has a cannon for an arm. He is fast enough to outrun two levels of defense, but not the safeties. His timing and accuracy need to improve, but that is something that can be corrected over time in practice."

That's impossible.   According to Coach Mac, players that do well in practice also do well in games.    And, there is no such thing as a gamer.    Those words are going to haunt him for a while.

Against UT-Antonio.  There was no "it" factor against anyone else he's played this season.  He might regain the "it" factor against UTEP.  "It" factor will mysteriously disappear again against La Tech, Tennessee, and Middle Tennessee.

Also, if "it" factor comes down to a QB completing only 50% of his passes, pray that the new coach get someone without "it" factor and replace it, instead, with a quarterback who is able to throw the ball accurately.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

The reason why I cannot credit Mac with being a good coach(along with all time losing record, countless mentions of the past, non-recruiting, excuses etc.), and am glad to see him gone. He blatantly put his friendship with Jim McNulty ahead of the team and that cost him his job. After seeing DaMarcus' performance on Saturday, it is apparent to me that he is indeed a "gamer" and Coach Mac's thoughts on that show that he was willing to crash and burn with McNulty to see it through. I have never once seen the effort or heart from mini-mac that I have from the last two game DaMarcus started. 

• Upvote 2

I can't tell if this is sarcasm?? I am going to assume that it isn't...

Do you believe its no coincidence that he magically started to do the things he "needed to do" right after Mccarney was fired? Do you think a yelling match with Canales sparked his brain in the matter of 4 days to do the things he "needed to do" to start versus the best team in our conference? What World on you living on? 

Smith immediately started right after Dan Mccarney was fired because that is who Canales has wanted to start from day 1. That is plain as day. There were going to be questions from the media about this and I expected them to say exactly what they have been saying. Remember, Canales (for whatever reason) is friends with Dan Mccarney and in the coaching business it is not wise to burn bridges. 

I mean for Heaven sake, Andrew McNulty had the worst QB rating in the country for over a month and Dan Mccarney just kept rolling him out there, but you are telling me that Smith just wasn't doing the things he "needed to do." 

The reason why I cannot credit Mac with being a good coach(along with all time losing record, countless mentions of the past, non-recruiting, excuses etc.), and am glad to see him gone. He blatantly put his friendship with Jim McNulty ahead of the team and that cost him his job. After seeing DaMarcus' performance on Saturday, it is apparent to me that he is indeed a "gamer" and Coach Mac's thoughts on that show that he was willing to crash and burn with McNulty to see it through. I have never once seen the effort or heart from mini-mac that I have from the last two game DaMarcus started. 

*Last 3 games he has started.

The guy is averaging around 280 all purpose yards at the QB position. If he can find consistency in that which I think he will be able to, we will have a tremendous amount of success in 2016.  When he can get us to 250 all purpose yards next season on a regular basis we will average over 400 offensive yards a game and that will put us in position to win (not win, but put us in position to win) every single game next year aside from Florida. 

• Upvote 1

No. According to both Canales and DeMarcus, DeMarcus went to Canales before the Western game and asked why he wasn't starting. They got into a shouting match over what DeMarcus needed to do, but DeMarcus did agree to start doing other things needed to start. I'm not sure exactly what those things are, but they both talked about it in an interview with Vito. DeMarcus was better in the little he played in the Western and Portland State games. His performance fits with the idea he started improving two games before Mac was fired. The interview with Vito happened after Mac was let go, the meeting and DeMarcus' behavior started changing two games before. Again, imagine if he'd been doing those things from the start of Fall camp. 

This fan base...

Come on, folks.

This.

Good lord, it's like if we by some miracle win a game against UT - San Antonio, there have been no other games and no other history.

Chico, for as nice a guy as he is, and as much as the players like him is 3-5 as a head coach.  And, he has been part of the coaching staff who has us in the quarterback predicament that we are in.  And, this year after year after year of basically having only one receiver that is able to have a decent season.

Do not let one win over a team that is also 1-7 cloud what has really happened here over the past six seasons.  The brutal truth is, we've had one winning season in the six that Chico has been OC. 

I like Chico, for sure.  But, reality is reality.  Beating an injury-depleted UT-San Antone doesn't change six years of history.