Anyone else feel UTSA's pain?

Harry

Gil Brandt on Apogee:

"It's a Taj Mahal. It is an unbelievable facility. I think I've been to every college stadium that's ever been built and this is really, really something special. I came up here a week ago, to just see it, and the attention to detail is unbelievable. We have a female official out there tonight. They have two official locker rooms. So that they have one for the male officials and one for the female officials. That's why I say everything has been thought out."

I forget how proud I felt upon first seeing that thing on opening day. It's so damned beautiful. Can't wait for the day we put out a series of football teams that do it the justice it deserves. 

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 1

Never seen Apogee on a "worst stadium" list. However...

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/worst-college-football-stadiums-america-s-worst-stadiums-to-watch-fbs-college-football
http://therivardreport.com/the-alamodome-wrong-project-at-the-wrong-time/
http://www.footballnation.com/content/college-football-2014-the-10-worst-stadiums-the-land/30125/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/779467-the-30-worst-stadiums-and-arenas-in-american-sports
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/447653-the-25-dumbest-stadiums-ever-built

The Alamodome is nothing but a Red McCombs fleece on the city, and an eyesore. Bad for concerts, useless for NFL, too big for CFB, super cavernous making it a non-factor for homefield, in dire need of renovations (Super Pit style press box? WTF?), horrific scoreboards, hideous design on the outside, poor parking, poor location...it's also *incredibly* far from campus, which is why no students go to the UTSA games.

Dome hosts New Year Day Alamo Bowl with required facilities. Regardless if you like them or not, their stadium, fans, attendance, etc., the facts remain dispite your degrading their accomplishments or justifying your failures. UNT has got to start winning to change the culture. I'm hopeful a HC who can recruit and develop talent that comes in. 

Last post on this assuming that there is governing interest for varacity. The dome was paid for by visitors to the city with hotel tax and was paid in full and the tax recinded, hardly a fleecing. Your comment on no home field advantage is so incorrect that it would sound disingenuous except you don't live here. Several teams have said they practice for the noise when they wouldn't otherwise, other coaches said it created play calling issues on the field at critical times and last year (I think) when asked about the crowd noise in Oregan, the qb said they played in louder this season (unt? No, utsa) the dome is undergoing major renovations to address your points. Anyway, facilities are an ass whip because no one cares. Does USC or Miami care that they are off campus? No. Regarding student attendance, people bandwagon winners, talk sh*t when their team wins- attendance is and always is tied to winning. Off campus, on campus or across town, a*s kickers put butts in seats and win NSD. Anything else is window dressing and bull s.

Going to have to contest you there; the Miami fan base has regretted it's choice of venue for yearsssss.

contextually, people showed up when they were winning. Lets cut the b.s., what is unt attendance in the stadium? Winning = attendance & recruiting, period. Everything else is  inconsequential.

Dome hosts New Year Day Alamo Bowl with required facilities. Regardless if you like them or not, their stadium, fans, attendance, etc., the facts remain dispite your degrading their accomplishments or justifying your failures. UNT has got to start winning to change the culture. I'm hopeful a HC who can recruit and develop talent that comes in. 

Last post on this assuming that there is governing interest for varacity. The dome was paid for by visitors to the city with hotel tax and was paid in full and the tax recinded, hardly a fleecing. Your comment on no home field advantage is so incorrect that it would sound disingenuous except you don't live here. Several teams have said they practice for the noise when they wouldn't otherwise, other coaches said it created play calling issues on the field at critical times and last year (I think) when asked about the crowd noise in Oregan, the qb said they played in louder this season (unt? No, utsa) the dome is undergoing major renovations to address your points. Anyway, facilities are an ass whip because no one cares. Does USC or Miami care that they are off campus? No. Regarding student attendance, people bandwagon winners, talk sh*t when their team wins- attendance is and always is tied to winning. Off campus, on campus or across town, a*s kickers put butts in seats and win NSD. Anything else is window dressing and bull s.

contextually, people showed up when they were winning. Lets cut the b.s., what is unt attendance in the stadium? Winning = attendance & recruiting, period. Everything else is  inconsequential.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

No, it was Fouts when it got posted then got changed to Apogee. Instead of removing it, they just changed it. You got me, though. 

And, obviously it has. Because it's the only option in San Antonio. There is no other choice. It's still a shithole that gets blasted every Alamo Bowl by every team and the media.

Yeah, sure it was. You're just incompetent and always find a way to put your own foot in your mouth.

When are you going to grow up and stop talking out of your @ss? ffs it's a stadium that was created with the intention of housing an NFL team. Sure that didn't pan out and it's no longer up to NFL standards, but it more than meets NCAAF standards. Media and visitors rarely say anything bad about it unless it's someone like you that's butthurt because UTSA owns their team.

Of course it can host events that Apogee can't. It's a dome stupid!  BTW: How much of the revenue from these events is nUTSAck receiving? Zero. 

Gil Brandt on Apogee:

"It's a Taj Mahal. It is an unbelievable facility. I think I've been to every college stadium that's ever been built and this is really, really something special. I came up here a week ago, to just see it, and the attention to detail is unbelievable. We have a female official out there tonight. They have two official locker rooms. So that they have one for the male officials and one for the female officials. That's why I say everything has been thought out."

8e43ab13e4efd7950e92d212a3f03e05.jpg

Some old Dallas guy was polite and over complimented your little $78 mill college stadium. Whoop tee do. What'd you expect him to say something negative about it? 

There's really nothing special or unique about it. Obviously all the P5s in Texas have nicer on-campus stadiums. UH's is newer and nicer. Texas State's is much nicer after the renovations they made. It's a toss-up between SMU's stadium and Apogee. 

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

When are you going to grow up and stop talking out of your @ss? ffs it's a stadium that was created with the intention of housing an NFL team. Sure that didn't pan out and. 1.  it's no longer up to NFL standards, but it more than meets 2.  NCAAF standards. Media and 3.visitors rarely say anything bad about it unless it's someone like you that's butthurt because UTSA owns their team.

Some old Dallas guy was polite and over complimented your little $78 mill college stadium. Whoop tee do. What'd you expect him to say something negative about it? 

4. There's really nothing special or unique about it. Obviously all the P5s in Texas have nicer on-campus stadiums. 5. UH's is newer and nicer. Texas State's is much nicer after the renovations they made. It's a toss-up between SMU's stadium and Apogee. 

1. It wasn't up to NFL standards pretty much immediately after being built. You know why there aren't any cup holders there? They had to cram seats in to meet the minimum and claim 65K capacity. 

2. NCAA standards are basically a field and some bleachers. 

3. You polled them? We talking anecdotally? They did just fund a renovation for it so at least one guy took a look around and said "Could use some sprucing up" 

4. Architecturally? Like what do you mean? It was the first LEED certified stadium. It has distinctive Eagle wings. What do you mean? 

5. New stadium is newer? Hoooleeyyy shnizzballs lets organize an investigation! Nothing is as it seems! - I haven't been to UH's so I can't say whether it's "better" but I have been to SMU's and no, it isn't better. Texas State's looks nice from the outside but so does DKR and that is an awful stadium to be in. 

I give your  post a C- for poorly sourced and poorly backed arguments. Also name-calling. Smh 

• Upvote 4

Yeah, sure it was. You're just incompetent and always find a way to put your own foot in your mouth.

When are you going to grow up and stop talking out of your @ss? ffs it's a stadium that was created with the intention of housing an NFL team. Sure that didn't pan out and it's no longer up to NFL standards, but it more than meets NCAAF standards. Media and visitors rarely say anything bad about it unless it's someone like you that's butthurt because UTSA owns their team.

There's really nothing special or unique about it. Obviously all the P5s in Texas have nicer on-campus stadiums. UH's is newer and nicer. Texas State's is much nicer after the renovations they made. It's a toss-up between SMU's stadium and Apogee. 

Being overly critical of something you don't have but wish and dream that you did. 

Isn't there a word for that?

I see your attendance numbers are down and you are losing. And doing it without facilities. Welcome to your future.

Ya, I know we suck. But that's because we have an AD that we are having a hard time getting rid of. He will be gone soon enough.

You suck because you have built nothing and done nothing. Ever. 

F'n Craphole. I hate this yearly week of football because of these dilusional people.

• Upvote 3

correcamino doesn't seem his usual energetic self.   What's the matter cc?  Another losing season got you feeling a little down?  

Poor nUTSAck "fans" they just have a case of stadium envy. Their stadium is shite and their only comeback is that they host international stuff in the Alamodome. Nobody cares what events you host their because YOU DONT OWN IT. Your poor little school gets no revenue from the dome and it is actually a drain on the school. But CC is right that there ARE P5 and G5 stadiums that are nicer than ours but EVERY stadium is nicer than theirs.

1. It wasn't up to NFL standards pretty much immediately after being built. You know why there aren't any cup holders there? They had to cram seats in to meet the minimum and claim 65K capacity. 

2. NCAA standards are basically a field and some bleachers. 

3. You polled them? We talking anecdotally? They did just fund a renovation for it so at least one guy took a look around and said "Could use some sprucing up" 

4. Architecturally? Like what do you mean? It was the first LEED certified stadium. It has distinctive Eagle wings. What do you mean? 

5. New stadium is newer? Hoooleeyyy shnizzballs lets organize an investigation! Nothing is as it seems! - I haven't been to UH's so I can't say whether it's "better" but I have been to SMU's and no, it isn't better. Texas State's looks nice from the outside but so does DKR and that is an awful stadium to be in. 

I give your  post a C- for poorly sourced and poorly backed arguments. Also name-calling. Smh 

1. Ok, even if that were the case they met NFL standards initially, right? 

2. You mean like Apogee? Kinda funny that no cup holders is supposed to be a strike for the Alamodome when Apogee is mostly bleachers. At the end of the day y'all are using a little $78 mill facility to try to put down a $300+ mill facility. It's hilarious.

3. I read articles and watch broadcasts? But by that same token did your UNT boy wonder poll people in order to come to the conclusion that everyone thinks the Alamodome is a "shithole"? The renovations are to try to get major events (aside from the Alamo Bowl) there. I guess you can say it isn't an elite facility any more like it was when it was hosting events like the Final Four but it's still far from a "shithole".

4. I'm talking aesthetically. The "wing" that looks more like an M looks dumb in my humble opinion. For everything else, it's like any other newer G5 stadium that's in that same price range. 

5. This is what's hilarious about you guys and Apogee, your stadium is $78 mill but you'll measure it up against just about anybody else's even if it's a fraction of the price. It's delusional. You get what you pay for. I went to UH's for the season opener last season and obviously it's much nicer than Apogee (which I also went to in 2013). That's not a knock against Apogee they just spent more and received a better stadium. Not sure why that's such a difficult concept to understand. I've been to Texas State's as well and I'd say it's nicer too.

Being overly critical of something you don't have but wish and dream that you did. 

Isn't there a word for that?

I see your attendance numbers are down and you are losing. And doing it without facilities. Welcome to your future.

Ya, I know we suck. But that's because we have an AD that we are having a hard time getting rid of. He will be gone soon enough.

You suck because you have built nothing and done nothing. Ever. 

F'n Craphole. I hate this yearly week of football because of these dilusional people.

No, you suck because you're UNT. Sucking is what you're historically good at.

We're a young team full of freshman and sophomores. Most of which also had offers from UNT, we'll be fine.

correcamino doesn't seem his usual energetic self.   What's the matter cc?  Another losing season got you feeling a little down?  

You have me on 1 post per day bro. How am I supposed to help you generate traffic by sprucing up the hatred that way?

But to answer your question yes losing sucks. I haven't had years and years of losing football (and hopefully I never do) to numb me like UNT fans have.

Edited by correcamino
  • Downvote 3

Going to have to contest you there; the Miami fan base has regretted it's choice of venue for yearsssss.

And USC isn't off campus anymore than Fry Street is off campus.  The Coliseum is closer to the USC classrooms than Apogee is to UNT's.

Google map for reference:

2natjNh.png

Now if you wanna talk about UCLA being in Westwood, bordering on Santa Monica, and playing at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, THAT's a hike. 26 miles in LA traffic.

kBLC8vj.png

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2

1. Ok, even if that were the case they met NFL standards initially, right? 

2. You mean like Apogee? Kinda funny that no cup holders is supposed to be a strike for the Alamodome when Apogee is mostly bleachers. At the end of the day y'all are using a little $78 mill facility to try to put down a $300+ mill facility. It's hilarious.

3. I read articles and watch broadcasts? But by that same token did your UNT boy wonder poll people in order to come to the conclusion that everyone thinks the Alamodome is a "shithole"? The renovations are to try to get major events (aside from the Alamo Bowl) there. I guess you can say it isn't an elite facility any more like it was when it was hosting events like the Final Four but it's still far from a "shithole".

4. I'm talking aesthetically. The "wing" that looks more like an M looks dumb in my humble opinion. For everything else, it's like any other newer G5 stadium that's in that same price range. 

5. This is what's hilarious about you guys and Apogee, your stadium is $78 mill but you'll measure it up against just about anybody else's even if it's a fraction of the price. It's delusional. You get what you pay for. I went to UH's for the season opener last season and obviously it's much nicer than Apogee (which I also went to in 2013). That's not a knock against Apogee they just spent more and received a better stadium. Not sure why that's such a difficult concept to understand. I've been to Texas State's as well and I'd say it's nicer too.

No, you suck because you're UNT. Sucking is what you're historically good at.

Um I never called the Dome a shithole, but I don't pretend it's AT&T stadium. For $78 million UNT got a really great stadium with the ability to expand, (if that is necessary.)

The no cupholders point was to illustrate that for a $300 million 'NFL' stadium there aren't any. And you think that's okay because ... a $78 mill stadium doesn't either? 

Your ur defensive arguments calling it ugly, shitty, generic don't hold up. It's great and I'd much rather have it, than an off-campus city owned stadium. The point is that the Dome cannot compare to Apogee because it isn't yours.  If you want to compare like for like let's talk about the Super Pit vs the convocation center.  

The rest of your post is just talking in circles contradicting yourself. 

Another C-. I'm really disappointed in this last effort. 

No, it was Fouts when it got posted then got changed to Apogee. Instead of removing it, they just changed it. You got me, though. 

And, obviously it has. Because it's the only option in San Antonio. There is no other choice. It's still a shithole that gets blasted every Alamo Bowl by every team and the media.

Give up.  You got busted on this one.   Besides, the reasoning behind their rankings are ridiculous at best. 

Edited by UNTLifer

... unless it's someone like you that's butthurt because UTKFC owns their team.

Not any more.

Now we can call this a rivalry.

See you next year. Get a better logo. That's not a $5 Fill-Up ... it's a crow with bed head.

Update: This board is changing the word "r o a d r u n n e r" to "$5 Fill-Up." Weird.

Edited by rcade

Never seen Apogee on a "worst stadium" list. However...

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/worst-college-football-stadiums-america-s-worst-stadiums-to-watch-fbs-college-football
http://therivardreport.com/the-alamodome-wrong-project-at-the-wrong-time/
http://www.footballnation.com/content/college-football-2014-the-10-worst-stadiums-the-land/30125/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/779467-the-30-worst-stadiums-and-arenas-in-american-sports
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/447653-the-25-dumbest-stadiums-ever-built

The Alamodome is nothing but a Red McCombs fleece on the city, and an eyesore. Bad for concerts, useless for NFL, too big for CFB, super cavernous making it a non-factor for homefield, in dire need of renovations (Super Pit style press box? WTF?), horrific scoreboards, hideous design on the outside, poor parking, poor location...it's also *incredibly* far from campus, which is why no students go to the UTKFC games.

I'm wondering if you know that Apogee is in the first list you posted......

• Upvote 1

I went to Ole Miss last week to catch a game. What a great game day environment.  I really don't have the words to describe it.  With that said an expanded Apogee would much nicer than their stadium.  

Also I walked all over TEDCU stadium a few months back. They did the opposite of what UNT did. Instead of high quality with less seats they built a low quality stadium with extra seating.  As I first approached the stadium I was fairly impressed. Then I walked all through the place and realized looking past the metal skin strapped to the outside of the stadium it was very poorly built. It's all lipstick on a pig.   Apogee is small but quality. When the time comes it can be expanded and because of the attention to detail will remain state of the art.