Mark Mangino Meeting with UNT?

Ryan Munthe

Excuse me while I projectile vomit.

According to Twitter, Mangino & UNT are "meeting" tonight. I hope not.

No problem with "meeting with" him.  Same with "meeting with" Houston Nutt.  I'd love to hear these guys' take on our program and what it would take to get them here and what they would do...   Doesn't mean RV/Smatresk has to hire him.

He's absolutely no different than McCarney.

Although, it looks like the Twitter account isn't reputable. Although it makes sense, suggests that Rhoads fired him after finding out he was trying to interview for the job.

Dude, he ran the spread offense as the OC at OU when they won the championship in 2000, as well as his entirety as the head coach at KU. He is literally the polar opposite of McCarney's offensive mindset in every way.

Yep.

• Downvote 1

He isn't doing too well at ISU right now either.  

This wouldn't be a good hire if that was legitimate.   

He had 3 above .500 seasons in 8 years... Even though it is Kansas... I still am not impressed.

Also, we would have to buy him 2 airplane seats for each of our away games... we can't afford that on UNT's budget. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Mangino is a very good coach...but his demeanor is very poor. He was known for boorish character at KU, which is what cost him his job in the end. You can be an a$$hole all day long when you win, but the moment you lose, that karma always comes around.

His appearance/health will always keep him from getting another big time job--and I'd venture a guess that it would include here. He would not be a good hire for our situation--at all. He would not be a good fit for recruiting, for building up a fanbase, or for promotion (if we even try this).

This would be a disaster, if true.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1