Darrell Dickey

EAGLE83

Dickey is the Co-OC at Memphis, not the OC.  Other Co-OC is Brad Cornelsen.

You left out the rest of his title (AHC/Co-OC/RB). Not that I'm for a return of him in any way of course, but he did finish out his sentence here as far as we would let him. Sadly, I suspect he'll be enjoying plenty of laughs when we visit his newest state of residence in short order. 

• Upvote 1

Dickey is the Co-OC at Memphis, not the OC.  Other Co-OC is Brad Cornelsen.

Well, foutsrouts kind of stole my thunder.

Dickey is assistant HC/Co-OC/RB coach.  

That makes sense since he coached 2 UNT RBs that lead the nation in rushing.

2003 Patrick Cobbs - 152.73 per game.

2004 Jamario Thomas - 180.1 per game.  Also tied the NCAA record for reaching 1000 yds in 7 games

What I hear he said years back was probably true so why are we so offended at the though of him coming back? If we fire RV, we might have a chance at landing him. He knows texas and knows UNT. It might not be the worst idea to bring him in it he'll have us...

he will probably have better options but he knows this place and is a very good recruiter.  He would never consider this job if RV was here and vice versa.  His stock is going through the roof and frankly I would say he will follow Fuente to a job that will pay him very very well no matter what.  Good for him.

Dickey will never return here.     Never.

However, what would have happened if Andrew Smith doesn't  die in a tragic car wreck?

After he led UNT to an 8-5 season and a bowl win over Cinncinati as a freshman, he would have most likely been our QB in 2005.

In 2005 UNT lost 5 conference games by a total of 21 points or an average of 4.2 points per game.

The point difference by game was 3, 3, 3, 5, and 7.

Remember that team had Patrick Cobbs,.Jamario Thomas and Johnny Quinn.  They desparately needed a QB.

With Andrew Smith as a senior QB, Dickey might have taken UNT to a 5th straight bowl and Dodge might still be HC at SLC.

Just saying.

• Upvote 4

Dickey will never return here.     Never.

However, what would have happened if Andrew Smith doesn't  die in a tragic car wreck?

After he led UNT to an 8-5 season and a bowl win over Cinncinati as a freshman, he would have most likely been our QB in 2005.

In 2005 UNT lost 5 conference games by a total of 21 points or an average of 4.2 points per game.

The point difference by game was 3, 3, 3, 5, and 7.

Remember that team had Patrick Cobbs,.Jamario Thomas and Johnny Quinn.  They desparately needed a QB.

With Andrew Smith as a senior QB, Dickey might have taken UNT to a 5th straight bowl and Dodge might still be HC at SLC.

Just saying.

We lost Booger and couldn't find recruits to offset the loss of several other defensive stars.

• Upvote 1

Well, foutsrouts kind of stole my thunder.

Dickey is assistant HC/Co-OC/RB coach.  

That makes sense since he coached 2 UNT RBs that lead the nation in rushing.

2003 Patrick Cobbs - 152.73 per game.

2004 Jamario Thomas - 180.1 per game.  Also tied the NCAA record for reaching 1000 yds in 7 games

I wished there was as asterisk next to that number,....take out those two absolute meaningless carries he had late in the fourth quarter against Texas that year and it's at or over 200 yards a game...I think?

Rick

Guys...it wasn't just three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust with Dickey.  We had one of the leading receivers in the history of the program with Johnny Quinn.  You folks man-worship Johnny Quinn, but conveniently forget that everything he did was under Dickey's watch.  

Scott Hall and Johnny Quinn top or are in the Top 5/10 of every passing receiving category in UNT history.  You guys are nuts.

Guys...it wasn't just three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust with Dickey.  We had one of the leading receivers in the history of the program with Johnny Quinn.  You folks man-worship Johnny Quinn, but conveniently forget that everything he did was under Dickey's watch.  

Scott Hall and Johnny Quinn top or are in the Top 5/10 of every passing receiving category in UNT history.  You guys are nuts.

I think I've been pretty consistent on putting Quinn and Dickey together as often as possible for nearly a decade now, sir. Nuts too.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

True.  But, on this board, anyway, there are those who reduce Dickey down to the Cobb/Galbreath/Thomas...and, black jerseys.  Dickey wasn't perfect.  But, he wasn't as horrible as some make him out to be. 

If McCarney thinks it was tough to recruit to UNT from 2011 to 2015, he should try putting himself into Matt Simon and Darrell Dickey's shoes, coming out of I-AA status and trying to build up in an era were super conferences and realignment truly were ramped up.

• Upvote 1

For those of you that are always trying to insert black to our green and white, this may be your big opportunity.

I bet he's got a endorsement deal with Hutch.

And, if he returns, we could probably get Mattress Mac to donate another million to Athletics.  If not here to the jazz studies program.

Welcome Coach Canales

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

I used to fantasize about what would've happened if Quinn had sat in '06 after the injury and gotten a med redshirt to play one season of Dodgeball. He was much better than Brandon Jackson, our star receiver for season 1 of Dodgeball.

I know @Quoner has a similar sentiment although his would just be, "I used to fantasize about what would've happened if Quinn had sat in '06 after the injury and gotten a med redshirt to play one season of Dodgeball."

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

Kind of a "second verses, same as the first" with coaches who couldn't find replacements.  Although, to be fair, the tragic death of Andrew Smith kind of threw a monkey wrench into things.  But, Dickey also signed Joey Byerly, Daniel Meager, Matt Phillips, and Woody Wilson.  But, none were able to do what Hall had done...even with Johnny Quinn running routes for them.

2007:
Casey Fitzgerald - 111 receptions / 1,322 yards / 12 TDs
Brandon Jackson - 79 receptions / 784 yards / 1 TD

It was Fitzgerald who led us in receptions in 2007, not Jackson.  Although, Jackson did pile up some good numbers as well.  If only either of them could have played defensive back....

Kind of a "second verses, same as the first" with coaches who couldn't find replacements.  Although, to be fair, the tragic death of Andrew Smith kind of threw a monkey wrench into things.  But, Dickey also signed Joey Byerly, Daniel Meager, Matt Phillips, and Woody Wilson.  But, none were able to do what Hall had done...even with Johnny Quinn running routes for them.

2007:
Casey Fitzgerald - 111 receptions / 1,322 yards / 12 TDs
Brandon Jackson - 79 receptions / 784 yards / 1 TD

It was Fitzgerald who led us in receptions in 2007, not Jackson.  Although, Jackson did pile up some good numbers as well.  If only either of them could have played defensive back....

True, I was just remembering the marketing out there. Fitz was just a walk-on green teamer for Dickey.

NorthTexas.jpg

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

So when Cornelsen asks Dickey what he thinks about the North Texas job, what do you think Dickey is going to tell him?  Forget about Cornelsen coming here.

I'm not sure why a young coach like Cornelsen would eschew a higher paycheck simply on the word of a man who hasn't been at a school for about a decade.  Surely, he'd ask Dickey.  But...North Texas' athletic department has come a long way since 2006 in facilities, pay for assistant coaches...and, official black uniforms!

My guess is Cornelsen goes wherever Fuente goes after this season, then interviews for the Tulsa job after Montgomery is picked up by a bigger fish.